Why become a member? ×

My GAS pledge

pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1013897' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:37 AM']With the exception of replacing any damaged cables/patch leads/strings/general consumables I will not buy another bass, am, cab, pedal, pedalboard etc etc etc for 12 months…[/quote]

3 words for ya. Ain't.....gonna......happen :)

Bargains are hard to resist and they'll turn up when you're not really looking for them. I do admire your attempt though.....

I'm doing the same, although I hadnt pinned it down to a year as such. It's more a case of re-aligning my thinking - I own a setup that I would have killed for several years ago, and yet still lust after more gear. I've come to realise GAS will never go away no matter what I own, so I'm trying really hard to keep what I have and get the best out of it, while putting money into savings (for rainy days and a house deposit one day, not more basses!).

I'm fortunate in that I couldn't be arsed about pedals or effects and my old ABM head works and, as long as it does, I won't be investigating potential ampage. I've got an ABM 2x10 and 1x15 which I can't see me ever getting rid of so I don't share your pain on a lot of this stuff. On the bass side, things are different. I want a BB2024X and a Wal MkII and I justify this to myself because they're not similar to stuff I already have. Though I have nine basses now, since I picked up the SR1300PM last week, I have no problem adding these two beauties to the family... it won't happen until I magic up some money, though, so that's how I control GAS. Prior to getting the SR, it had been 17 months since I bought or sold a bass.

Good luck holding out for a year, it's a noble pursuit, but as long as you look at FS sections you'll find it hard. I pretty much stopped looking ad the FS sections and gumtree and the likes. It was when I did that I saw the SR and my resolve crumbled :)

Good luck man, I've been thinking about having a sell of actually, my pedalboard is ace but I'm not in a band atm so it's only getting bedroom and occasional jam use. That's over £1k of pedals to cater to my lust for woo-woo noises. I'm seriously considering selling off everything but a tuner, a Turbo Rat, an OC-2, and swapping my dd-20 for a dd-3/6.

I was watching a 6 string on here for ages. The BCer put it on ebay eventually and I was there last night, credit card in hand, sweating my tits off trying not to bid. I managed it, but this morning I felt so sh*t I decided "I must need a treat, let's check out the pedals for sale on BC" - WTF?!? I didn't buy the bass to save money FFS.

So yeh, it's hard, good luck!

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1027781' date='Nov 18 2010, 11:41 AM']I think I could happily join you in enforcing some bass discipline!

I'm still in the head/cab hunt, but don't need any more wood about the house - so I'll join you if you want a GAS buddy.[/quote]

Oh dear, the start of the slippery slope.
This contagion must be stopped :)

oops, that's my 1U ventilated blanking panel just arrived :)

Edited by karlfer

On a purely practical note, you will probably find that you get more out of your gear as you are forced to "make-do" ("make -do" seems a little inappropriate given your great gear, but you get what I mean) with what you have. I have found myself in this position for the last 18 months now, mainly due to a change in personal circumstances meaning I have zero disposable income. I was already in the fortunate position to have some great stuff, but frankly was guilty of chopping and changing basses, sometimes without even having gigged them. I have grown to appreciate my gear a lot more, and learnt how to get the most sound-wise from it. The results have been so satisfying that I don't even find myself suffering the constant GAS cycle any more, in fact I am much happier. This is very convenient considering that I have no spare cash to indulge myself anyway!

Good luck!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1022144' date='Nov 13 2010, 07:36 AM']Then I would definitely advise you to avoid playing any ACG basses, they will redefine what you expect from an instrument and you will suffer from serious GAS as a result. I have to keep telling myself I don't need a fretless to stop me ordering another bass from Alan![/quote]

But you do need a fretless... Otherwise you can't do those ULTRA-smooth slides.

Just kidding!

I have a Fretless Roscoe 6... No worries there. No ACG gas in this camp.

I have the GB Spitfire being delivered soon and have been considering exchanging my 'spare cab' for an alternative... But no more buying.

This is going to be hard, and I keep seeing cool stuff, but other than maybe changing my EBS Neo115 for something else I'm really going to stick to this. I have even pulled out of buying a Neo112 from Bernie along with my Spitfire as I consider it unnessarcary at the mo... And I'd agreed to that before I started this!

Go me

Good luck with this - the first 11 months are the hardest. Once you've clocked up those, then the rest is easy!!!
I haven't bought any gear for 14 months an..... :) sorry, I can't lie.
I'm a pedal junkie and I know I have a problem.

Only two feet...