Why become a member? ×

Cabs on side? Feet dilemma!

gafbass02

I like the vertical stacking of my berg 210's on their sides for those tight spaces but I don't want to put them straight to the floor and I'm pretty unsure about screwing into them to add standard rubber feet. Ive got some sorbothane polipods that I've put between them but they are soft and squishy and this means the stack is less solid. Would a wooden or metal hi-fi type foot be a better idea? Obviously a gramma pad would be best but it's not something I'd always want to carry extra.
I was thinking about squishy feet under the head (reduce vibrations going to the electronics and valve base and crucially stop it slipping around!) then some metal isolation feet separating the cabs and under the bottom cab keep it off the floor.
Is seperating the cabs acoustically a bad idea though? They don t neatly lock together vertically, but it's a nice alternative configuration.
Faffing around with loose feet under a cab at set up/strike is probably a silly idea so maybe I should either A) stfu
:) just carefully screw rubber feet in anyway. (tricky to judge as the baffles are recessed)
Or C) just stick it on the floor

Or D) just use em the way they are meant to be stacked!

Thoughts good people! Polipods, solid feet or abc or d!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='998801' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:04 PM']Just carefully screw rubber feet in anyway. (tricky to judge as the baffles are recessed)[/quote]

This. You don't necessarily have to screw all the way through the cab, depending on its thickness.
I used these, they're very good:

[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=ADH4907&browsemode=category"]Blue Aran[/url]

Get that rubbery mat stuff, it is handy for going under amps, the stuff that is like blobs and holes, like under this amp:

You aren't separating them acoustically, acoustic coupling is in the air, it means the speakers are close together and not separated by wood or something. There shouldn't be much by way of vibrations going through the wood.

Well if you want to spend a bit of money and if you were going to spend it on the gamma pads maybe you should look at 'china cones' I know relatively little about them other than they were advertised in sound on sound. They might improve the sound and may also add resale value if you were to ever sell your berg.

Check out [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/brand/china-cones"]Dolphin Music[/url]

Not sure if this helps

I used to put my AE210 on its side on top of the AE112 and I got some rubber feet, £3 from Maplins, so I didn't have to screw into the cab. I just put the feet on the bottom cab and placed the top cab on them. Works fine and you don't "damage" the top cab.

Jim Bergantino put holes on the top of his 210 cabs for stacking purposes so I use them, ie I stack my 210's horizontally. Bergantino knows more about his cabs than I do and if he's happy that they can be stacked that way then that's good enough for me.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='999556' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:47 PM']My Ashdowns don't have any feet but I have a pile of Trace rubber feet that I am going to fit before the gig next Friday[/quote]
Them there are good feet. The old solid lump of rubber with a washer in the middle.
Use a nice BIG screw, and they'll never come off.

My Trace 1153 has swivel casters on the long side, and feet on the short side. Roll it where you want, up-end it, and off you go.
As for amplification, my trick for reducing acoustic feedback is [b]not[/b] putting a head on top of cabinets whenever I can. Yep, some of it'll inevitably come via the air, but why directly mechanically couple your (amp) head to the source of the vibration? I generally put mine behind or off to one side, on a chair or beer crate etc.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1001020' date='Oct 26 2010, 12:40 PM']....putting amps on a big vibrating box does seen like a bad idea....[/quote]
I agree, although most manufacturers don't seem to think it's a problem! I sit my amp on 2 large lumps of PC packaging foam.