Why become a member? ×

P bass or J bass

Bass_Guardian

It's always going to be a personal choice & personally I'll always favour a Precision. Strung with flats & I get a tone close to what I hear on a lot of records I own. In terms of neck profiles I reckon you get used to playing a bass if you practice. I don't like the thinness of Jazz necks but I managed on one in the late 90s for a couple of years so you can definitely get used to what you don't traditionally play. The Jazz seems to be used by flashier players who cut through the mix more and the Precsion seems to be used more by players who sit back in the mix. But of course it never is quite so clear cut as that. Ultimately for all the advice you'll know what you prefer when you try them out

[quote name='daz' post='998344' date='Oct 23 2010, 06:45 PM']I can only tell you what everyone else is gonna say. You have to try them out side by side. Are you aware of any good guitar shops anywhere near your town?

Its a shame you couldn't have got down to the bass day in Manchester, you could have tried them to your hearts content. Really thats the nub of it, you need to try them out. I have both, and both are different guitars, with the Jazz physically different only with a slightly thinner neck for smaller hands. I bought a new cheap Westfield P bass and it turned out to be a pretty decent bass for the price. But after trying out a Jazz a few weeks later i realized that the thinner neck might help my smaller hands get around the fretboard. So i thought that id take a look around this time and learn what was the best for the price. After good month of asking questions on this forum I plumped for a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, and am still happy about how good it is.

You can get a reasonable emulation of a P bass with a Jazz by using the bridge pickup and playing nearer to the bridge, but at the end of the day a realm P sounds a little, well more P bass like, beefier or punchier or something. So if you cant afford both then your gonna have to choose, which means if at all possible you need to sit down and play both side by side through the same amp. So you gonna have to find a shop to do that in. Shouldn't be too much trouble really. But if theres anyone could help you out with a go of theres that'd be a good prelude to sitting in a shop and choosing. You really need an hour or two to decide.[/quote]

I hear the "smaller hands" argument a lot, but I am not sure there is a good correlation there. I love Jazz basses, but it's mostly for the sound. I prefer bigger necks. My hands are not big my any means. And yes, I did find it a bit easier when I started out to play J-type basses, especially coming from playing guitar for years... but give me a bigger neck if possible. Same thing with string spacing, I can't stand 15-16mm spacings. 20-21mm is where it's at for me.

My ideal neck is the Stingray. It's wide, but it's shallower than a P-bass and feels great. Next one is P-bass. Then my clubby Warwick. Then thin necks like Jazz. Still, I'm happy to play any so I don't make a fuss about my Jazz.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='998526' date='Oct 23 2010, 10:56 PM']It's always going to be a personal choice & personally I'll always favour a Precision. Strung with flats & I get a tone close to what I hear on a lot of records I own. In terms of neck profiles I reckon you get used to playing a bass if you practice. I don't like the thinness of Jazz necks but I managed on one in the late 90s for a couple of years so you can definitely get used to what you don't traditionally play. The Jazz seems to be used by flashier players who cut through the mix more and the Precsion seems to be used more by players who sit back in the mix. But of course it never is quite so clear cut as that. Ultimately for all the advice you'll know what you prefer when you try them out[/quote]

Spot-on. I used to prefer a narrow neck until I got used to using a fat neck on my Roadworn. Narrow necks cause me to wrap my hand around like I'm playing a guitar, whereas a chunkier neck forces me to play it like a bass. My playing has improved vastly as a result of this.

This is a case of preference though, it's whatever feels good for you, although bearing in mind the above I would add that if you haven't been playing too long or if you've previously used slimmer necks then you'll naturally favour the thinner neck at first, unless of course you have hands like Jaws off of James Bond :)

The sound is quite a bit different. I favour a precision because I like to have a percussive thump to my sound that fills out the band, and when locked in with the bass drum really drives the band along. Occasionally when I have a very busy bass line I wish I had a Jazz, as the notes tend to step over each other on the P as it's such a fat sound. Intricate bass lines IMO work better on a Jazz (I'm sure some will disagree).

The notes from a Jazz cut through a band better, (everyone will hear every note you play) whereas a Precision sits in the mix beautifully, ties everything together and fills it out. Or as I heard somone on here put it once, a Precision is like a baseball bat, whereas the Jazz is like a ninja sword :lol:

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='998434' date='Oct 23 2010, 08:07 PM']Ill check out Guitar Guitar as they have a great wide range of guitars and basses and see if theres one there :)[/quote]

Guitarguitar do have a good range of G&L`s, unfortunatley they are all in Edinburgh!! They sell well through there apparently. If you get the chance of a second hand one, buy it!

Jez

obviously you gotta try them to find out.
Iv'e played the same ibanez for 22 years (on and off) and I decided I was gonna get that Fender P I'd always promised myself.......... Boy did I under estimate that neck width :lol: I just couldn't get on with it and after about 10 hours playing it I traded it on here for a Jap Jazz.. Way more suited to me. They both sound great with their own qualities....but if you just don't feel right with it, then its the wrong one regardless of sound :)
Guess I just love skinny necks.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1000535' date='Oct 25 2010, 09:47 PM']Had a shot of a artic white fender jazz (MN) and what a beauty and i fell in love with it straight away but im goin to give a P bass a bash ( not literally) tomorrow. Was in Guitar Guitar in glasgow :lol: what a shop[/quote]

yeah, they usually have a decent choice, I frequent the Newcastle branch :)
Try and get a jazz back to back with a P.
Jas

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='998098' date='Oct 23 2010, 02:37 PM']Right, i play in a church band so hopefully u will know what type of music it is.

P or J?[/quote]

I use a P in church with the tone control maxed and stainless steel round wounds. Anything but dull :)

Edited by sk8

One thing I've noticed about Jazz basses though, is that they have a tendancy to fall over because of their assymetrical bottom.

Since I picked up my Squier CV Jazz I can't count the number of times I've put it on the stand at rehearsal, gone to make a cup of tea and heard it crash to the floor. One of these days it might actually get damaged.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='1002468' date='Oct 27 2010, 02:07 PM']One thing I've noticed about Jazz basses though, is that they have a tendancy to fall over because of their assymetrical bottom.

Since I picked up my Squier CV Jazz I can't count the number of times I've put it on the stand at rehearsal, gone to make a cup of tea and heard it crash to the floor. One of these days it might actually get damaged.[/quote]
Just shift the rear strap button up a bit and you get one of the few basses that [b]never[/b] falls over. :)

...Although I fear this info may be wasted on someone who time and again leaves his bass unattended in the way that it usually falls over from. :lol:

[quote name='lanark' post='1002468' date='Oct 27 2010, 02:07 PM']....One thing I've noticed about Jazz basses though, is that they have a tendancy to fall over because of their assymetrical bottom.

Since I picked up my Squier CV Jazz I can't count the number of times I've put it on the stand at rehearsal, gone to make a cup of tea and heard it crash to the floor. One of these days it might actually get damaged....[/quote]
It shouldn't get damaged. It's a Fender. They bounce!

Also you need the Ultimate GS100 Guitar Stand.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1002497' date='Oct 27 2010, 02:26 PM']Just shift the rear strap button up a bit and you get one of the few basses that [b]never[/b] falls over. :lol:

...Although I fear this info may be wasted on someone who time and again leaves his bass unattended in the way that it usually falls over from. :)[/quote]
We're not all as lucky as u to be able to make such a stunning bass such as ur pingray :)

[quote name='lanark' post='1002468' date='Oct 27 2010, 02:07 PM']One thing I've noticed about Jazz basses though, is that they have a tendancy to fall over because of their assymetrical bottom.

Since I picked up my Squier CV Jazz I can't count the number of times I've put it on the stand at rehearsal, gone to make a cup of tea and heard it crash to the floor. One of these days it might actually get damaged.[/quote]

"can't count the number of times"??? :lol: :)

if it happens to me ONCE I think I'd be remembering to use a stand that works for that sort of bass (with neck holder)

I guess you just secretly want the relic version :)