Why become a member? ×

My first 'Audition'

Count Bassy

Well, I'm starting to feel a bit nervous.

I've had a response to an ad on JoinMyBand, and have arranged to meet, with instruments, the other potential band members in a week or two.

Now the few bands I've been in previously have all started from scratch and sort of developed organically, and although this meeting is not being called an audition (more a get together to see if we gel) that's what it effectively is, and, as such, is my first.

In the ad and speaking to them I've been fairly honest about my level of ability, and limited experience. However I hope that I've also put over my enthusiasm and willingness to work hard as well, and they still want to meet me!

Anyway they've given me a few tunes to work on:

Take Me To The River ..................Based around the Al Green original
6345-789....................................Probably based on the Ry Cooder version
Bring it On Home To Me................Based on the Sam Cooke's original
Heard it through the Grapevine......Based on yhe Marvin Gaye version, but with Creedence and Roger Chapman influences

and, wait for it.........

Mustang Sally

Yes, I know, but I like it and have never played it before. The guitarist says that it probably wouldn't be in the set list, but it's a good one to jam around with - which it is.

Oh, yes, they want backing vocals as well. I've been working on these anyway but am still at the stage where either the singing or the playing can go a bit odd if I try to do both (again I have been honest about this with them).

I'm on holiday in a cottage, with bass, next week, so if anyone has any useful words or tips, either in general auditioning terms (how to stay cool etc), or specific to the songs, then I'd be interested to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Edit --PS: I tried to space the song list out with speces, but they seem to get stripped out - hence all the dots above.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='steve-soar' post='997397' date='Oct 22 2010, 06:39 PM']Make friends with the drummer as soon as possible, then enjoy.[/quote]

Deffo this. Not for nothing do we have our own bit of the band called "The Rhythm Section"!

Also:
Be yourself
Enjoy Yourself
Do any necessary homework/practice before you go- So you're as good as you can be
Remember that you are auditioning THEM as much as they are auditioning YOU. Cliched, but true.

All the best!

[quote name='hitchy64' post='997482' date='Oct 22 2010, 08:04 PM']I totally agree with the above Dude.
Just stay relaxed and be cool, they'r not hard numbers to play.
Enjoy and let us know how ya get on :)[/quote]

Yeah I realise that they're not technically too difficult, although I've not played any of them before.

I think my main worry is that nerves will get the better of me and I become a gibbering pool of sweat. I've never been in the situation of having to make music with someone I've only just met before.

Concentrate on the bass, the backing vocals are the added bonus.

You need to click with the drummer. You also need to provide the glue between the drums and the rhythm guitar. After you've got locked in with the drums, listen to the guitar to see whether they're doing the odd passing chord that you hadn't planned for. Priorities go rhythm, chord roots, fancy bits.

And be yourself, unless you're a giant mutant star goat, in which case a disguise might e in order.

Edited by tauzero

+1 to all the above, but also:

Prior to the audition:
Ask them if they play the songs in the same key as the originals
Ask if they want yr basslines to be the same as the originals, or if they want fills. If they want fills, just think of a couple of easy additions, nothing too fancy, as you need to hear what the drummer does before you can put yr bits in.
The audition:
Be on time for the audition
If yr "live" rig is head & 2 cabs, take that to the audition - you`ll sound like "you" so play better
Lend a helping hand with the rest of the band with carrying gear etc
Tell them what you can bring to the band, as in transport/experience
Establish what the band is actually about. If its about gigging 5 times a week, and you have a sales job taking you all over the country, or work shift patterns, it may not be right for you/you not right for them.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='997822' date='Oct 23 2010, 09:39 AM']Prior to the audition:
Ask them if they play the songs in the same key as the originals
Ask if they want yr basslines to be the same as the originals, or if they want fills. If they want fills, just think of a couple of easy additions, nothing too fancy, as you need to hear what the drummer does before you can put yr bits in.
The audition:
Be on time for the audition
If yr "live" rig is head & 2 cabs, take that to the audition - you`ll sound like "you" so play better
Lend a helping hand with the rest of the band with carrying gear etc
Tell them what you can bring to the band, as in transport/experience
Establish what the band is actually about. If its about gigging 5 times a week, and you have a sales job taking you all over the country, or work shift patterns, it may not be right for you/you not right for them.[/quote]

well put.

Be friendly, whenever I'm looking for musicians that's first on the list. People's musical skill can get better over time but if you don't get on then its not going to work.

If you have explained to them truthfully where you are at in your bass playing development, and they understand that, they must have reconciled it with their expectations.

The tracks are soul RnB standards so if this is a young band, I would wonder about the choices but other than that,
I think they have heard what you say and despite you having reservations, they want to met you and hear you play.
This is good.

I think the age levels might not be as you think but maybe they have tried a few 'hot shots' and it hasn't worked out
and they want someone new and keen and personable. The music playing sometimes come second to that.

Go there, do you best and if nothing else, add it to your experience of meeting new people in music. A lot of people don't do this and prefer to work with only friends..which ultimately is very limiting and they then wonder why they havn't got anyone to play with or know anyone else when that breaks down.

This is a good step, you'll meet more people and get another take on things. It may not be what YOU want either, but at least you have an experience of it.

After all this, I think this band is looking for a decent person to grow with and develop band-wise. It could suit both of you.

Eliminate stressors. Learn the songs until you can play them in your sleep having made sure you agree the key and which version in advance. Then you'll be confident, you'll look confident and you'll show you can deliver. Don't be tempted to show off - not the first time, anyway :)

Mustang Sally isn't an easy bass line - everybody just tells you it is!!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='997859' date='Oct 23 2010, 10:49 AM']Mustang Sally isn't an easy bass line - everybody just tells you it is!![/quote]

Mustang Sally is probably the one that I thought I knew best (and thought was relatively easy). However I've just spent an hour with my teacher going over the subtleties of the bass line (Commitments version), so I'd agree with you there. Not a vast number of notes, but subtle timing in many places.

JTUK mentioned age of the band in reference to the set list. Well the guitarist is 60, Keyboardist (is this a word?) is 53, Drummer about 50. As far as I know they've al been playing all their adult lives, and served their time in numerous bands.

I'm 53, but have only been trying to play seriously for about 4 years, and probably played a total of 10 or 12 gigs, so you can perhaps understand my trepidation, - this would be stepping up a league (or 2) for me!

Thanks for all your comments. It's heartening to know that a lot of it is to do with getting on together etc, rather than playing ability!!! - gives me a fighting chance at least.

...in which case it will be good for you. I've been in a similar situation. I started playing bass about 9 years ago in my late 30s so it's almost inevitable that you'll play with people more experienced. I've had a couple of situations where I've just had to say "I don't understand how to do/play that (but I'll go and learn it)". Don't over-extend yourself I suppose. You can learn loads from these "old timers" though :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='998080' date='Oct 23 2010, 02:24 PM']Mustang Sally is probably the one that I thought I knew best (and thought was relatively easy). However I've just spent an hour with my teacher going over the subtleties of the bass line (Commitments version), so I'd agree with you there. Not a vast number of notes, but subtle timing in many places.

JTUK mentioned age of the band in reference to the set list. Well the guitarist is 60, Keyboardist (is this a word?) is 53, Drummer about 50. As far as I know they've al been playing all their adult lives, and served their time in numerous bands.

I'm 53, but have only been trying to play seriously for about 4 years, and probably played a total of 10 or 12 gigs, so you can perhaps understand my trepidation, - this would be stepping up a league (or 2) for me!

Thanks for all your comments. It's heartening to know that a lot of it is to do with getting on together etc, rather than playing ability!!! - gives me a fighting chance at least.[/quote]

My mistake. I got the impression that this was a young band...but this is even better. They already think you are on the right wavelenght..even if it is the age thing, so I think you can approach this with more confidence. I would think the other bits rather than music are the bits they are most focused on getting right or fitting in. As long as you gel on that level I think the rest will come even if some is missing.

Just hit the notes, and let them know you are keen to progress and it could well work.

If you get anything wrong, just tell them you are working on the James Jameson thing and it will get there in the end..:)
If they don't know who Jamerson is..tell them he is THE 60's bassist you are listening to, they'll be impressed you know of him and his catalogue which it sounds like this unit will be heavily leaning on at some point.

Also Booker T and the MG's Duck Dunn

Google them and have a few facts and figures on them at the ready...:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been rather a long time coming, but it's tommorrow night, 7 till 10ish, so if you all think of me perhaps the power of collective thought will keep me calm.

Actually I've got to say that, what ever happens, the process has been very good for me. I think it's been my most intense period of development and practicing ever and I'm probably playing better than I ever have. (I'll know soon if that is well enough).

Also what a stonking bass line Grapevine has!

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1024199' date='Nov 15 2010, 01:12 AM']Well, it's been rather a long time coming, but it's tommorrow night, 7 till 10ish, so if you all think of me perhaps the power of collective thought will keep me calm.

Actually I've got to say that, what ever happens, the process has been very good for me. I think it's been my most intense period of development and practicing ever and I'm probably playing better than I ever have. (I'll know soon if that is well enough).

Also what a stonking bass line Grapevine has![/quote]

I'm sure this'll be the first of many auditions and in a few years time you'll be going along to them knowing full well that YOU are good enough and it's them that need to be persuading you to join them! :)

Just keep it tight and simple, keep an ear out on what's going on around you, especially the drummer, and be ready to adapt.

Above all, stay calm - I'm pretty sure that the death sentence for playing a duff note went out with Henry VIII after all... :) (why don't we have a Henry VIII emoticon for goodness sake..?)

Good Luck :lol:

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1024199' date='Nov 15 2010, 01:12 AM']Well, it's been rather a long time coming, but it's tommorrow night, 7 till 10ish, so if you all think of me perhaps the power of collective thought will keep me calm.

Also what a stonking bass line Grapevine has![/quote]

Remember you are auditioning them as well, suss them out also, and the dynamics among them, if you can play those lines well you will find an amateur band that will take you

I used to love playing take me to the river :)

Edited by lojo

Something you may or may not want to consider...depending on the band members..!!
Since you have the songs down...hopefully, it might help if you think about what notes and feel you will play against what the drummer might make of it...and of course, the gtr etc...

Instead of just blundering in on the count of 4, consider that you might want to know what and how they are going to play their parts against how you are thinking you will be playing yours. If you just check and ask them to do a 4 bar sequence, drums and gtr etc ..you might see and hear how it fits togther or not..and if you aren't playing it can't be your fault if it sounds a mess..:)
Make sure they know why you do this...
Make sure they know YOU know how the songs go but you are just trying to get it to gell togther. Gtrs and drums are notorious, IME, for blythely playing their part as they see it without considering the rest of the sound/feel. The classic, 'well this is how it goes on the record' is a crap response but you can then see what you are up against.
Each player should be able to play their line solo and feel make it feel ok, if they can't do this, the song is up against it from the start.

The bass has the job of making sense of all the combined parts and driving it along so you may as well fix it from the bottom up.
If this doesn't work just play your part with confidence so they can know that you know what you are doing..

Best of luck..

Edited by JTUK

Well whether it was the collective thoughts of Bass Chat or not I managed to stay calm, and, to my great suprise, actually quite enjoyed it.

BUT, I didn't get the gig! :) . Apparently my bass playing was fine, but they wanted someone ready to hit the ground running on the vocals which, to be fair, I wasn't.

HOWEVER, I didn't make myself look a twat and came away pretty happy with my performance and calmness. I'm also pleased that I'd been totally honest with them that my BVs were work in progress, so it's not like I told them I told them any lies.

Ah well, carry on practising and looking around I suppose, although the refusal does sap the enthusiam and momentum somewhat.

This morning's lesson was working on singing scales from the 3rd, 5th and 6th while playing the scale from the root, and doing the same in diatonic 3rds, so perhaps there's hope for me yet.

As I said in an earlier post, the process has been very good for me. I think it's been my most intense period of development and practicing ever and I'm probably playing better than I ever have.

PS: I love the fact that I can say Twat! Mmmmmm....

Twat Twat Twat Twat Twat Twat! ...... Mmmm very satisfying.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1030649' date='Nov 20 2010, 05:48 PM']Well whether it was the collective thoughts of Bass Chat or not I managed to stay calm, and, to my great suprise, actually quite enjoyed it.
BUT, I didn't get the gig! :lol: . Apparently my bass playing was fine, but they wanted someone ready to hit the ground running on the vocals which, to be fair, I wasn't.[/quote]

I was wondering yesterday how you'd got on!

Your bass playing was most obviously up to scratch and that was your major concern - so no need to panic about that again the next time eh? :)
Auditions can be nerve wracking but you kept it together so a very sincere "well done" regardless of the final outcome.

You just need to work on the vocals a bit from the sound of it - you need to track down a Bass Chant forum... :)

Ian

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1030649' date='Nov 20 2010, 05:48 PM']PS: I love the fact that I can say Twat! Mmmmmm....

Twat Twat Twat Twat Twat Twat! ...... Mmmm very satisfying.[/quote]

Very f***ing satisfying indeed :) we've all been turned down here and there whether it's been bands, jobs, girls, w/e. You've just got to pick yourself up and move on.