Why become a member? ×

Musicals

skej21

Musicals

What do people think?

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Have a favourite? Playing in the pit for one?

I've found myself taking jobs in the pit for quite a few musical productions (good and bad!) recently including Hairspray, Lion King, We Will Rock You and Dreamgirls, and I'm having loads of fun with them, despite thinking they weren't "my kinda thing" musically before I started.

Just wondering what the overall opinion of the mighty bass community is regarding musicals?

Edited by skej21

Really not a fan of most musicals, I think for the most part they're tacky and completely wet. Professional pit players are almost always great players though.

BUT there is one massive exception to the rule and that would be West Side Story. Give or take the story line itself, but the music from Leonard Bernstein I still consider to be one of the most seminal pieces of orchestration of all time, worthy of comparison to any great opera or concerto. Absolutely staggering musicianship has to be observed playing the entire score otherwise the whole thing falls flat on it's arse.

I think the reason I'm loving it so much, is that it's just my idea of a perfect gig. I get to explore new music that I've barely played before, I get to use skills such as sightreading (which makes the hours of practice come to life and feel worthwhile) and it's just a huge adrenaline rush when you nail some really tight, snappy passages first time! The musicians I've worked with have all been incredible too, and all really nice, modest people!

I think I definately have the bug, and the standard of musicianship from the other pit players is really inspiring.

Such a great way to gig and really satisfying when you're packing up/driving home.

I'd highly recommend it :)

Edited by skej21

West Side Story was always a particular favourite, but I could name a bunch more.
Some people may not like musicals perhaps because of the storyline or characters and the necessity to 'over-act', at least for live performances.
But the songs and composers are what make it for me, first and foremost.
So I could be watching or just listening to something like "Porgy and Bess" or "South Pacific" one minute, then maybe "Mama Mia" or "Jersey Boys" the next.
Now I'm just waiting for "Basschat - The Musical"! :) (With a cast of thousands...)

On the whole I have no time for them, but I do like West Side Story, and the Brecht/Weill stuff, and Guys and Dolls. I also love the "Trouble in River City" number from "The Music Man" ( the inspiration for the "Monorail" number in the Simpsons episode).

Actually, now I come to think about it, I part-wrote one once - a truly awful musical adaptation of Aristophanes' Lysistrata. Quite proud of the libretto, but the music was average to poor and the production as a whole was pretty dire. For those who don't know, it's all about the women of Athens going on a sex-strike to try to force their menfolk to end the Peloponnesian War with Sparta. The humour is extremely broad, and the production featured HUGE dildos in several scenes. One evening, a couple turned up with their young kids, and the director had to have a quiet word to warn them about the content. They stayed, though, and seemed to enjoy themselves.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='991990' date='Oct 18 2010, 09:58 AM']On the whole I have no time for them, but I do like West Side Story, and the Brecht/Weill stuff, and Guys and Dolls. I also love the "Trouble in River City" number from "The Music Man" ( the inspiration for the "Monorail" number in the Simpsons episode).

Actually, now I come to think about it, I part-wrote one once - a truly awful musical adaptation of Aristophanes' Lysistrata. Quite proud of the libretto, but the music was average to poor and the production as a whole was pretty dire. For those who don't know, it's all about the women of Athens going on a sex-strike to try to force their menfolk to end the Peloponnesian War with Sparta. The humour is extremely broad, and the production featured HUGE dildos in several scenes. One evening, a couple turned up with their young kids, and the director had to have a quiet word to warn them about the content. They stayed, [b]though, and seemed to enjoy themselves.[/b][/quote]

Not with the Dildos i hope...!

I have done plenty of shows over the years, some were great to play [JS Superstar for one], others so so.
But i have never sat out front and watched one - not for me i am afraid. I hate stage school singing styles,
although there are exceptions knocking around of course.

Garry

Garry

[quote name='skej21' post='991598' date='Oct 17 2010, 08:56 PM']Musicals

What do people think?

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Have a favourite? Playing in the pit for one?

I've found myself taking jobs in the pit for quite a few musical productions (good and bad!) recently including Hairspray, Lion King, We Will Rock You and Dreamgirls, and I'm having loads of fun with them, despite thinking they weren't "my kinda thing" musically before I started.

Just wondering what the overall opinion of the mighty bass community is regarding musicals?[/quote]
Detest them. I find them hideously embarrassing to watch. I probably have some sort of self-loathing issue that makes me feel this way.