Why become a member? ×

Thats it, im done, ROSEWOOD IS KING

Musicman20

Ive had rosewood board basses for years. I got a little tired of them a few years back, and thought maple would be better for 'me'.

Obviously, everyone is different, and it seems the majority on here prefer maple.

Something about the aesthetics of a dark board, and that smooth soft finish just works for me. Plus, if you want it to sound more agressive, use your EQ or stainless strings!

I am not saying I wont flirt with maple in the future, and ive got a Telecaster guitar with maple that feels and sounds great, but im pretty certain after years of messing about, im a rosewood guy.

Edited by Musicman20

I really dont think it has much noticable difference on sound (I've got a maple fingerboard P bass and it's the darkest sounding bass I've ever owned!) but that's up for debate. I'm not sure which I prefer looks wise, I was very much a maple person, but rosewood is starting to win me over again.

The following utterances are opinions, not facts.

For me it's purely an aesthetic choice. It depends on the bass. I think a maple board looks ridiculous on a Les Paul bass, for instance. Rosewood would be too dark for my black Gibson G-3 with black pickguard and matching black headstock, the black/maple combination is a classic.

I couldn't give a monkey's about the tonal differences. I'm not saying they don't exist, I just think that they're lost in the statistical underflow of the situation and it's all about how far you'd like to take the pedantry. You could argue that two outwardly identical basses from the same manufacturer will sound different because the pieces of wood aren't exact clones of each other, there will be tiny variances in the coil windings in the pickups, perhaps the chemical properties of one of the solder joints is slightly different, altering its electrical conductivity and hence altering the sound. Do you think the player can feasibly play the same piece of music in EXACTLY the same way each time? We're not robots!

I don't care about all that, as long as the bass feels good to play, has a nice sound which I enjoy listening to (or can be moulded into a nice sound with either bass or amp controls) and looks good (to me).

I have three basses with maple fingerboards, they all sound really different when played acoustically so I'm not convinced by the 'maple sounds like X and rosewood sounds like Y'. For me its mostly down to looks, the difference in tone is pretty minimal and is generally down to the design, construction and finish of the bass rather than the wood on the fingerboard. That said, I didn't set out to buy a bass with a maple board, its just that the basses that I played and liked just happened to have them. Rosewood is just as good.

Maple looks nicer in general, IMV, but you still need the rest of the bass to compliment it.

I have a blonde bass, with fancy maple and I thought I also wanted one like it plus it sounds great....but I find more and more I am going with the solid coloured RW as it just has that something else. Not really defined what that is, I just like it. RW HAS to be blocked and bound though, IMV.

My 2 Mexicans are RW & look/feel/sound lovely but my '51 P is one piece Maple & that for me looks/feels/sounds that bit better. My new '57 P is one piece Maple too & that is even sweeter!

I haven't tried a 'stuck on' Maple board though, I suppose that would be more comparable to a 'stuck on RW than a one piece neck.

[quote name='neepheid' post='985499' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:00 AM']The following utterances are opinions, not facts.[/quote]

Whereas the following utterances are facts, not opinions. :)

The look of rosewood plus blocks/binding is the sex. But maple just sounds funk-eh and that's that.

Edited by LawrenceH