Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1

jezzaboy

I was in the local Crack Converters the other week and they had a Westone Thunder 1 for £50!! It was a bit tatty cosmetically, the body and headstock was well chipped but was informed that it played ok. It was very mucky with some tarnishing on the brass bridge.

I walked away and after being out the shop for 10 mins, went back and got it. Gave it a good clean, new jack socket and strings, a bit of a set up and it plays really well! The neck is in very good nick. It has a very high output for a passive bass. It`s pretty ugly but it`s got a certain charm about it. Bloody heavy though and as far as I can tell all original (apart from the control knobs which I put on) from 83.

[attachment=61016:DSC01707.JPG]
[attachment=61015:DSC01704.JPG]

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='983854' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:10 PM']I was in the local Crack Converters the other week and they had a Westone Thunder 1 for £50!! It was a bit tatty cosmetically, the body and headstock was well chipped but was informed that it played ok. It was very mucky with some tarnishing on the brass bridge.

I walked away and after being out the shop for 10 mins, went back and got it. Gave it a good clean, new jack socket and strings, a bit of a set up and it plays really well! The neck is in very good nick. It has a very high output for a passive bass. It`s pretty ugly but it`s got a certain charm about it. Bloody heavy though and as far as I can tell all original (apart from the control knobs which I put on) from 83.

[attachment=61016:DSC01707.JPG]
[attachment=61015:DSC01704.JPG]

Jez[/quote]

Hmmm, put a MM pickup instead of the P, and it could be really tasty! :)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='984989' date='Oct 11 2010, 10:38 PM']Looks great!! Here's mine - a Thunder IIIb Fretless, all original.

G.[/quote]

Put that away Dammit. :lol:

One of the few basses on the forum that still gives me GAS and I don;t even do fretless anymore :)

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='985142' date='Oct 12 2010, 02:02 AM']Put that away Dammit. :lol:

One of the few basses on the forum that still gives me GAS and I don;t even do fretless anymore :)[/quote]

There's a Thunder IIIa on Fleabay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120632286426&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

I'd probably sell mine for £379................

G.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='985142' date='Oct 12 2010, 02:02 AM']Put that away Dammit. :lol:

One of the few basses on the forum that still gives me GAS and I don;t even do fretless anymore :)[/quote]

Heh, I've had a shottie of it, really nice bass, lots of switches and knobs (I can't remember what they all do - and I like that), good sound and a lovely deep, dark finish on it.

[quote name='neepheid' post='985503' date='Oct 12 2010, 11:02 AM']Heh, I've had a shottie of it, really nice bass, lots of switches and knobs (I can't remember what they all do - and I like that), good sound and a lovely deep, dark finish on it.[/quote]

I'll be running courses on the controls at the next Borders Bass Bash.........for only twice my normal fee...... :)

G.

Thanks for the nice comments. It`s unusual for me to get a bargain as I am the worst person in the world at buying/selling basses. :)

Some nice looking basses Geoff and KB.

Up close my T1 looks pretty beaten up (reliced? No shag*ed!) but like I said, it plays really well and if you get a chance to get one cheap, go for it.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

That was a bargain Jezzaboy! An unusual finish - I don't remember a see through black. These are fantastic basses- I've had a couple but always moved them on because the short top horn puts the feel all out to me. I don't think you can beat ash for a body wood - the low mids give it real punch!

What a bargain ! I love these basses. My first real bass was an '83 Thunder IA with the old-style logo like yours. As you say, weighed an absoloute ton, ate batteries for breakfast but was great to play. Bought it in 1983 from a second-hand shop for £40 !! Used it throught the 1980s in punk, metal and rock bands and it never let me down.

That is an absolute steal - I bet you are still grinning.

Another huge fan of the Westone guitars here - being basically a tightwad I love the fact you get such a well put together instrument for such a small outlay. I have 2 basses and a guitar - also their first cousins in the Washburns. I use my 1A bass more than any of the others - especially for the heavy rock covers band - it is a joy. Ok, maybe a bit heavy but it sounds immense. Last rehearsal I plugged my TE head through my new 18" cab, dialled the pre-amp to boost a little and I swear the rehearsal studio started to come apart. Not gigged that particular combination yet - can't wait!