Why become a member? ×

Tribute band dilemma

Bilbo

I have a dilemma you can all help me with. I want to form a tribute band to make loads of money and stay in hotels in Dubai but I can't afford any new gear so the question is, which bands have a bass player who uses a Wal fretless and has a big enough following to guarantee loads of gigs.

I tried a Brand X tribute but it went nowhere.

PS I look like Rolf Harris

[quote name='Bilbo' post='978112' date='Oct 5 2010, 10:20 AM']I have a dilemma you can all help me with. I want to form a tribute band to make loads of money and stay in hotels in Dubai but I can't afford any new gear so the question is, which bands have a bass player who uses a Wal fretless and has a big enough following to guarantee loads of gigs.

PS I look like Rolf Harris[/quote]

You could just start playing anything and then ask the audience....

"Do you know what is yet?"

[quote name='markstuk' post='978123' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:26 AM']Mick Karn used to play a WAL fretless I believe.. So are there any Japan tribute acts? And you get to wear make-up as well which should alleaviate the Rolf lookalike issue .... :) :lol:[/quote]

There isn't that much make up in the world! Although I am part Indian.....

[quote name='Bilbo' post='978112' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:20 AM']I have a dilemma you can all help me with. I want to form a tribute band to make loads of money and stay in hotels in Dubai but I can't afford any new gear so the question is, which bands have a bass player who uses a Wal fretless and has a big enough following to guarantee loads of gigs.

As you well know, tribute acts are the devils spawn.

My advice is play jazz and learn to read music :)

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='Bilbo' post='978112' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:20 AM']I have a dilemma you can all help me with. I want to form a tribute band to make loads of money and stay in hotels in Dubai but I can't afford any new gear so the question is, which bands have a bass player who uses a Wal fretless and has a big enough following to guarantee loads of gigs.

Ah see the mistake you have made here. You are assuming that the general public are actually aware of what a bass player does, let alone notice that there is one in a band and even notice you. You need to remember the golden rule, the general public don't listen or even know what a bass player is or does. So, don't worry about the Wal, play what you like as nobody in the crowd will even notice you :)

[quote name='leschirons' post='978129' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:28 AM']You could just start playing anything and then ask the audience....

"Do you know what is yet?"[/quote]
I believe that Bilbo has been playing jazz for a while now, so he should be familiar with that approach already.....

Have you considered doing jazz reworkings of rock and pop standards? Hayseed Dixie made a good living off hillbilly tributes of well known classics, it would give you some creative input doing the arrangements. I know there have been recorded swing versions of rock stuff by the likes of Paul Anka and Pat Boone but you don't see it in pubs and clubs, might be a niche to exploit?

[quote name='KevB' post='980365' date='Oct 7 2010, 11:34 AM']Have you considered doing jazz reworkings of rock and pop standards? Hayseed Dixie made a good living off hillbilly tributes of well known classics, it would give you some creative input doing the arrangements. I know there have been recorded swing versions of rock stuff by the likes of Paul Anka and Pat Boone but you don't see it in pubs and clubs, might be a niche to exploit?[/quote]

niche to exploit? Nah not really, I'm already purposely throwing in bum notes which give the same effect :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='980286' date='Oct 7 2010, 10:24 AM']I have found it!!! GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!!!!!

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11491237"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11491237[/url][/quote]

Brilliant idea.....Start a tribute to a cover band :)