Why become a member? ×

Neck shift season?

Mr. Foxen

Same here. My Alembic (burn him, he's a toff) now buzzes on the G string whereas it played perfectly 2 weeks ago. Trus rod tweak needed. Must be problematic for a very thin necked bass like a Geddy Lee.

Time for the Status owners to come over all smug with their carbon graphite-yness

But where's the fun in an entirely stable neck? I thought we bassists love to tweak truss rods and, er, other things? I imagine Status owners have carefully manicured lawns and quartz watches that are accurate to 1 picosecond per millennium. Chaos, entropy (killer word), wild times, thats what life's about ... and slightly shifting bass necks

[quote name='JTUK' post='977749' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:13 PM']Yes..but nothing major.

I am very aware of how I store a bass between gigs though.[/quote]
JTUK, when I look at your avatar and read about how you "store your bass between gigs", I get bad thoughts :)

My new Alembic has gone insanely floppy!

First 5 frets virtually unplayable & everything buzzing & rattling right up to 12th!

Admittedly the action was pretty low to start with but I've never seen a bass move quite this far in such a short space of time.

The Alleva Coppolo seems to have moved a bit as well - funnily enough both of these have had real pro set-up jobs to get them as low as they'd go & now both are buzzing away too much for me.

[quote name='molan' post='977800' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:45 PM']My new Alembic has gone insanely floppy!

First 5 frets virtually unplayable & everything buzzing & rattling right up to 12th!

Admittedly the action was pretty low to start with but I've never seen a bass move quite this far in such a short space of time.

The Alleva Coppolo seems to have moved a bit as well - funnily enough both of these have had real pro set-up jobs to get them as low as they'd go & now both are buzzing away too much for me.[/quote]
Both should be dead easy to adjust Barrie. You need a 1/4 inch spanner for the Alembic (may have come with the bass anyway) and turn each of the two truss rods the same amount, probably only an eighth to a quarter of a turn. You could always bring them round to me to adjust although you may discover you are a bass light when you get home :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='977783' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:36 PM']But where's the fun in an entirely stable neck? I thought we bassists love to tweak truss rods and, er, other things? I imagine Status owners have carefully manicured lawns and quartz watches that are accurate to 1 picosecond per millennium. Chaos, entropy (killer word), wild times, thats what life's about ... and slightly shifting bass necks[/quote]

Imagine again, my "lawn" looks more like a bramble patch and half the time I don't even know what day it is.

My Status basses however never change, but the old Fenders need the necks taking off to adjust. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='977859' date='Oct 4 2010, 11:37 PM']No they don't - just enlarge the access slot enough to allow an offset driver head in there.[/quote]

They're '62 reissues so they don't have any access slots, but I learnt from Bernie Goodfellow at the London Bass Bash that I can loosen the neck bolts and tilt the neck out of the pocket enough to get to the truss rod without completely removing the neck. Still means slackening all the strings though and guessing how much to adjust.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='977750' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:13 PM']Time to give the trussrod a half turn to the right.[/quote]
Half a turn?! That's [i]loads[/i]! I've never had to do more than an eighth... maybe a quarter at a push... when the seasons change.

I've also found that summer to autumn seems to flatten the necks off (introducing rattles and buzzes), rather than causing more bow, so I've gone to the [b]left[/b] at this time of year.

Do different neck woods react completely differently to seasonal changes?

[quote name='Delberthot' post='978329' date='Oct 5 2010, 01:41 PM']So am I the only one never to have had to adjust my truss rod ever?

I used to leave my bass in the car overnight in all weathers and didn;t have to touch anything[/quote]
Do you have a high action? I used to favour a high action when I was playing hard with a plectrum, and I didn't notice the seasonal shifts in neck relief anywhere near as much as I do now with my lower actions.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='978329' date='Oct 5 2010, 01:41 PM']So am I the only one never to have had to adjust my truss rod ever?

I used to leave my bass in the car overnight in all weathers and didn;t have to touch anything[/quote]
Can't match "never", but I haven't adjusted the fretless in over a year & the main fretted hasn't needed anything doing to it since Bernie Goodfellow "laid hands" on it at the London Bash back in the summer. Neither have a 'fag paper' action, but they're not high by any standard, & all adjustments have been to suit my playing style.

Mind you, the way that an Aria SB neck is put together it has no business moving about :)

[i][b]Never[/b][/i] had fret sprout on anything I own, don't understand that one at all.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe