Why become a member? ×

'80s Squier JV and SQ P Basses - JapNotSoCrap?

Paul S

Been looking at these as they have been passing by on eBay relatively frequently at the moment - there is currently a nice looking black SQ series up for grabs that I am idly following.

What is the lowdown on these? Are they comparable? The JV always seems to get a good write up.

And how would they compare to, say, the Tokai hardpuncher. Or even a Fender of the same age?

I've got one, a 1983 SQ.

Currently selling it as i'm skint. It's so nice, i'm gutted to let it go.

I'm hoping it's the last one left on my big long list of basses for sale to see if i really need to let it go.

I assume i'll have to though. Which is utter dogshit.

Edited by AndyTravis

I had an SQ P, best Precision I ever played, absolutely beautiful burst & woodgrain:

[attachment=60579:sqp2.jpg] [attachment=60580:sqp6.jpg]

Really only sold it because I can never get the sound I want from a Precision so it never got used. I regret it every time I look at the pics - doubt I'll get the chance of another one as nice.

As far as I know build quality of these & JVs are pretty much identical, main differences seem to be that JVs were highly detailed vintage reissues & the subsequent SQ range was based on Fender's current designs at the time.

Jon.

Hmm... I've a lovely Silver Series P bass, I don't get to play it much now my son has 'borrowed' it...

There's a nice looking SQ P on the bay...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SQUIER-SQ-P-BASS-JV-SQ-MADE-JAPAN-/300475774803"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SQUIER-SQ-P-BASS-JV-...N-/300475774803[/url]

Edited by bh2

I have a JV P bass, it's very very good.

The SQ are less vintage accurate than the JV, they were made for a cheaper price bracket using japanese parts (depending how early it is the JV reportedly had USA parts).

The one on ebay if you can get it cheap go for it. If not andttravis' one looks nice. (and an extra pup and badass).

I can only compare my JV with things, I've played a few old tokai and while being ok they weren't that special, and fender at this time had just been bought out i think... theres a late 70's fender jazz in a shop near me for 2k which you could store your beer money in the gap between the neck and the body... it will be better than that!

Edited by LukeFRC

SQs are very good basses. A lot of crap is talked about the JV series being so much better, the price difference is mainly down to the Big fender logo on the JV headstock if you ask me. I have a 90s japanese squier neck on my strat, it is truly the nicest (guitar) neck I've ever had my hands on. I think if it's a jap squier (or fender) then it's good. Very good normally.
Plus they'll get the same magic attributes as the JVs have soon, and you'll be able to sell it off for a small fortune. :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='978009' date='Oct 5 2010, 09:36 AM']SQs are very good basses. A lot of crap is talked about the JV series being so much better, the price difference is mainly down to the Big fender logo on the JV headstock if you ask me. I have a 90s japanese squier neck on my strat, it is truly the nicest (guitar) neck I've ever had my hands on. I think if it's a jap squier (or fender) then it's good. Very good normally.
Plus they'll get the same magic attributes as the JVs have soon, and you'll be able to sell it off for a small fortune. :)[/quote]

only a handfull have the big fender logo, most JV would have the same headstock as a SQ.

I had a very early JV P. Black with maple neck. I sold it to the bass centre a few years ago and was told by Chris (the tech) that its really just the neck thats the selling point, although they are very good basses.
I had changed all the hardware, inc pup but they still gave me a great price. Probably 2.5 time what i paid for it (from them funny enough) back in the 80's.

I've either owned / played 3 Silver Series late 80s Squiers, 2 were excellent & one was a bit heavy but generally very nice. I don't tend to believe in a certain type of instrument being better than another as a blanket rule because I've played some lovely MIMs (for example) & some absolute dogs too

The SQs are good solid basses. I've owned a P-Bass for years now and it's a real workhorse. Lovely neck.

Information about the SQ series here -

[url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/thesqpage.htm"]http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/thesqpage.htm[/url]

There was a slight cross over between the JV and SQ series as well. If I'm correct,the JV series was '82-'84, and the SQ was '83-'84.
I've got an '83 SQ Precision and it is probably the best P-bass I've played. The neck is also more figured than on most Fenders.

Thanks all, appreciate the knowledge. Andy - sorry mate, good luck with the sale but I would only want a black one (I know, how shallow...) and without the extra pup, too. I will follow the black one on eBay one closely.

I have an '82 'big Fender logo' JV Precision - I like it. I can't give you much info on how it compares to other P-basses cos I've only ever owned one other and that's a '78 model.

However the JV is a bit lighter in weight and has a 'flatter' rear neck profile than the '78 (not baseball bat-like at all - more pre-EB Stingray). Oh, and it sounds more 'vintage' than the '78, obv.

Mine's been modded quite a bit - replaced the hardware and PUP, and had it refinished in transparent black - so I can't claim to have an original-spec JV, but the mods were necessary as it was out of my hands for over 15 years and not so well looked after in it's absence. It still needs a proper refret job to get it back to it's original glory too...

Here's a pic or two:
[attachment=60661:DSC02135.jpg]
[attachment=60662:DSC02137.jpg]
[attachment=60663:DSC02142.jpg]

[quote name='matski' post='979189' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:48 AM']I have an '82 'big Fender logo' JV Precision - I like it. I can't give you much info on how it compares to other P-basses cos I've only ever owned one other and that's a '78 model.

However the JV is a bit lighter in weight and has a 'flatter' rear neck profile than the '78 (not baseball bat-like at all - more pre-EB Stingray). Oh, and it sounds more 'vintage' than the '78, obv.

Mine's been modded quite a bit - replaced the hardware and PUP, and had it refinished in transparent black - so I can't claim to have an original-spec JV, but the mods were necessary as it was out of my hands for over 15 years and not so well looked after in it's absence. It still needs a proper refret job to get it back to it's original glory too...

Here's a pic or two:
[attachment=60661:DSC02135.jpg]
[attachment=60662:DSC02137.jpg]
[attachment=60663:DSC02142.jpg][/quote]

and a new truss rod fitted? thats a wierd mod to do, why?

Some of these early 80's Squiers can go for silly prices which , frankly, are probably not justified. But saying that, I have a Japanese Silver Series Squier Jazz, made in the early 90's, which is a really lovely bass. A friend let me borrow his for a while and I was so impressed I trawled ebay until I found a good example to buy for myself. I paid £250 for mine and they usually go for between £200 and £300.

If it's made in Japan, whether it's a Squier or a Fender, you know it's going to be good.

Interesting comparison of value between these two auctions that both ended today.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SQUIER-SQ-P-BASS-JV-SQ-MADE-JAPAN-/300475774803"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SQUIER-SQ-P-BASS-JV-...N-/300475774803[/url] £415

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120629011031"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=120629011031[/url] £430

Am I right in thinking the white one is a 57 RI?

[quote name='webby' post='983303' date='Oct 10 2010, 01:20 PM']Hi,

Newbie here.

May I ask what does the SQ and JV abbreviation mean?

Cheers[/quote]

I think...I maybe wrong though.... that JV is Japanese Vintage while SQ was short for Squier. They were used as the
first two letters of the serial numbers on the early Japanese Squiers ('82-'84).

From what I have read over the last couple of days you are spot on.

So, widening the net a bit to JV, SQ, Q, E and silver series - or any of the Japanese built Squiers up to around '95. From reading it would seem they are all built in Fujigen factory - would that be right? If so that would presumably be why they are so good. How would they stack up to these latest crop of VM and CV series?