Why become a member? ×

One of the great bass mysteries solved!

matski

I've seen this subject come up in a thread or two in the past and was reminded of it earlier when I read this:

[quote name='JTUK' post='960955' date='Sep 19 2010, 08:53 AM']The other thing that makes me laugh is the guy from Muse swapping basses out eleventy-eight zillion times during a gig and using so many effects you couldn't tell which bass it was anyway.[/quote]

So why exactly is Chris Worcestersauce using a different bass for every song during the Muse liveshow? Many naysayers would spout forth "He's just a big poseur, mocking us meagre peasants with his array of fine instruments!", but alas they are very much mistaken.

Here is a guided tour of the man in question's backline rig by none other than his own personal bass tech and button pusher:

So the secret is revealed at last! It is of course due to the eternal quest for [b]TONE[/b]! You see, each of those 5 Jazz basses have different 'subtle tonal nuances'. This is the reason for switching from Fender > Status > Rickenbacker > Gibson Grabber etc., etc. Then of course these subtle nuances are hugely enhanced by running them through a myriad of effects such as Big Muffs, Animatos and octavers.

So let's not have any more mockery of this poor misunderstood member of 'the greatest rock band in the world today' shall we? He has enough on his mind already - in fact so much that he requires the assistance of his tech to switch his effects on and off for him.

God bless him, say I!

I just assumed he changed his gear so often because he came on here all the time.

I've been away from the site for two weeks, and have been blissfully GAS free in tha time. After just 10 minutes on here I'm drooling over the for sale section again.

So I'm off, for another two weeks.

[quote name='Captain Rumble' post='964516' date='Sep 22 2010, 02:33 PM']As i dont have the massive levels of talent that you guys obviously do I can only listen in awe to him playing exactly what the music required of him, unless its at Wembly of course where the sound is so bad you cant hear most of what he is playing anyhow :)[/quote]

I think the issue is with him using so many different basses, but then putting them all through the same effects. I really dont see the point.
I dont think its really about his playing or talent, even though i made a comment about it.

The Tech did mention about different tuning though, and i can see how using different basses would be a help.

He does whats needed and yes, he gets the job done but i bet if he only use done bass for a gig no one would notice.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='964552' date='Sep 22 2010, 03:12 PM']He only THINKS he plays through all that gear.

The soundman really takes a DI straight from the bass into the desk where its processed via a £100 multiFX pedal.

Of course the tech couldn't say that on the video or Chris W would find out.[/quote]

:)

In fact they all have midi pickups on them and are just triggering a Roland bass station, preset 1.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='964546' date='Sep 22 2010, 03:06 PM']Ah, but who on here would go and see them ;-)

Some people on here would claim they could tell if he had a Duracell or Eveready battery in his bass lol.[/quote]

You mean you can't?!

I use a duracell in my passive precision... added growl and smoothness :)