Why become a member? ×

Where to buy a simple 62 RI Precision tort plate?

mrawlins

As the title describes, either I'm completely stupid and crap at searching or it's really hard to find a genuine FENDER '62 reissue tort scratchplate for P bass.

I want it to replace the "photo of a sicked up doner" Squier CV Pino plate. I have a strong belief that the '62 RI 13 hole Fender plate will fit based on other's experiences, but please holler if you know otherwise.

Can anyone please recommend an online store in the UK or elsewhere?

Thank you!!

Edited by mrawlins

[quote name='mrawlins' post='958783' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:35 PM']As the title describes, either I'm completely stupid and crap at searching or it's really hard to find a genuine FENDER '62 reissue tort scratchplate for P bass.

I want it to replace the "photo of a sicked up doner" Squier CV Pino plate. I have a strong belief that the '62 RI 13 hole Fender plate will fit based on other's experiences, but please holler if you know otherwise.

Can anyone please recommend an online store in the UK or elsewhere?

Thank you!![/quote]
applestone music or Thomann or the other 20 I found with a single google

[quote name='tino' post='958789' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:47 PM']applestone music or Thomann or the other 20 I found with a single google[/quote]

Fender 62 P bass plates are not listed on Applestone's website. 62 Stratocaster yes, Precision bass no. I've emailed them anyway.

Thomann is out of stock.

When you say 20 results on google, you do realise that apart from applestone (who don't have it) they are Bizrate, shopping.com, supaprice.co.uk (which all of course lead nowhere), plus a few harmony central reviews?

Edited by mrawlins

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='958981' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:59 PM']EBay always has a few. I picked up a black original 62RI Fender one recently[/quote]

Hi Burrito, yeah I've been looking on eBay too, of course... the only one on the bay right now is in France and listed at 70 Euros inc postage - not ideal. Original would be cool if one came up but I'm just looking for a regular new 62 RI right now.

Allparts [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/fender-guitar-amp-parts/guitar-parts/pickguards-backplates/pickguards-for-basses-fender-c-277_296_319_327_372.html"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/fen...19_327_372.html[/url]

[quote name='ezbass' post='959712' date='Sep 17 2010, 04:40 PM']Allparts [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/fender-guitar-amp-parts/guitar-parts/pickguards-backplates/pickguards-for-basses-fender-c-277_296_319_327_372.html"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/fen...19_327_372.html[/url][/quote]

Out of stock, but thanks

OK, quick question - basically there is the Fender Precision pickguard which seems to be ready-shielded, then the '62 reissue which is NOT shielded, and requires you to add the shielding yourself.

Can anyone tell me if there is any cosmetic difference, or other physical difference (i.e. screw positioning etc) between the 62 RI pickguard and the normal Fender Precision tort guard?

The regular Fender is a lot easier to get and also doesn't require an additional shield.

Many thanks!

Thanks a lot Jon, yes Darren Riley has the '62 RI and the shield.

WD do not but thanks also Dave.

Now I'm just not sure if it's worth getting the 62 as you also have to shield it which is not the case with the regular fender P plate.

Can anyone please tell me if they know of any cosmetic or physical differences?

BTW I have been in contact with the bass doc and he may be able to help me out but obviously this thread is about the FENDER pickguards and where to buy them. I'm not in the UK so the Doc needs a template which I can't provide. For the purposes of this thread can we just discuss Fender plates.

Not OEM, not handmade, not own brand. FENDER!

Thanks chaps.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='959107' date='Sep 17 2010, 07:34 AM']My fave place for Fender parts at the moment is:
[url="http://www.darrenriley.com/fenderparts.htm"]Darren Riley Parts[/url]
In the USA.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Jon[/quote]

Edited by mrawlins

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

So the scratchplate and shield arrived yesterday from Darren Riley- thanks again Jon and everyone else for your contributions. The Fender 62 RI scratchplate fits the Squier CV perfectly and looks so much classier!

I also installed a 62 RI pickup, CTS audio taper pots, a switchcraft jack and period correct knobs to complete the pimping.

Here are the before and after shots:

Edited by mrawlins

[quote name='stinson' post='990268' date='Oct 16 2010, 02:52 PM']I played one of these the other day, really nice bass, great neck. Half tempted to buy it. Are the original pups no good?[/quote]

HI Stinson,

The original pick ups are fine and to my ears sound like a precision should. There will no doubt be people who'll tell you that retro-fit pick ups sound tons better, but taken as an overall package, the CV is a great buy.

Steve.

[quote name='stinson' post='990268' date='Oct 16 2010, 02:52 PM']I played one of these the other day, really nice bass, great neck. Half tempted to buy it. Are the original pups no good?[/quote]

Hi Stinson, yes the neck is absolutely stunning. I'm still in awe of it because not only is the feel amazing but the finish and grain are also beautiful.

The stock pickups were fine, but following the sale of my 75 RI Jazz I had a very decent budget to spend on a bass. I originally wanted a 62 RI or an original 70's Fender but I ended up preferring the feel of the Squier after a few days in London trying many Precisions both vintage and new.

So I just felt the Squier deserved posh cosmetics and electronics. I use the bass for recording so I wanted an industry standard "vintage" pickup and reliable pots and electronics. I did a bit (actually a lot) of research on the Pino Palladino sig and tried to get as close as possible to that spec.

Edited by mrawlins

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='990918' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:23 AM']Hmmm ... I wonder if that works for the Jazz too?[/quote]

Let us know if you find out ;-)

By the way here is an improvised jam I just put down for someone who was asking for a sound example of this bass with the 62RI pickup (and orange drop cap).

Hope you like it! [url="http://soundcloud.com/martin_rawlins/squier-cv-with-fender-pickup"]http://soundcloud.com/martin_rawlins/squie...h-fender-pickup[/url]

Edited by mrawlins

[quote name='mrawlins' post='988763' date='Oct 15 2010, 03:18 AM']Hi guys

So the scratchplate and shield arrived yesterday from Darren Riley- thanks again Jon and everyone else for your contributions. The Fender 62 RI scratchplate fits the Squier CV perfectly and looks so much classier!

I also installed a 62 RI pickup, CTS audio taper pots, a switchcraft jack and period correct knobs to complete the pimping.[/quote]

That new PG does look a lot nicer. Im hoping to order a CV P tomorrow and will also need to change the PG.

Did you find out if the standard MIM PG would fit? It looks like it should. I had the PG off my MIA and also my HW-one and they both fit my CV Jazz, but i need one that doesn't have the truss rod cut out and the MIM looks ideal.
Im also considering a black PG but i would have to see the CV P in the flesh first to see if that would work.

Love the sound clip as well.

Edited by dave_bass5