Why become a member? ×

Best current bass makers

Guest jonnyj

[quote name='cocco' post='958895' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:27 PM']Haha ok that's a fair point. Although I'm a p/j toting heavy Ampeg 8x10 lugging stuck in the 70s although I'm only 23 type.[/quote]
Takes all sorts to make a bass forum. :)

Anyway, the tone controls on the average passive bass are simple low-pass filters. They're not preamps, obviously, but the basic principle's the same. A filter-based preamp just refines the concept somewhat.

[quote name='cocco' post='958895' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:27 PM']...I'm a p/j toting heavy Ampeg 8x10 lugging stuck in the 70s although I'm only 23 type.[/quote]
You know I find that just a little bit sad.

You should be rebelling against us old farts, and our out-dated tastes in music ;-)

Also when I was 23 the only people of that age who liked music from 30-40 years earlier were either the squarest of squares or making an ironic statement...

[quote name='wesfinn' post='958889' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:16 AM']squier CV series! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just what I was thinking. After some ten years the one that survive some ridiculous modding and sanding the logo away, will be worth more than they are today. Once they are gone, they are gone. :)

To a degree it probably is sad but I can't get my tone without an Ampeg 8x10 for some reason. That, rotosound strings and a sansamp are the biggest contributing factors to my tone. The bass doesn't seem to matter too much. I'm happy playing anything equipped with P, MM or J type pickups (or my grabber when it works), less so with a jazz these days though. Tempted to to trade it in for a ray or a G&L or even, in a shocking attempt to break out of the 70s a corvette $$ or a sandberg, my dream bass would probably be a wal because my favourite live sound to date is that produced by Justin chancellor of tool, or some sort of mm equipped p or j shaped beastie from hell. Although I have to admit big red x I do like the look of and have enjoyed reading about some of your super modern exercises in engineering and design and as Ou7shined knows I'm quite jealous of his avatar.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='958794' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:50 PM']Really? I'd say the opposite is true, compared to (for example) guitarists. We embrace our active circuits, fretlessness and lightweight amp gear. Anybody here play with a guitarist with an onboard preamp? Fretless guitar? Neo speakers? Chances are they're toting a Strat/Tele/Les Paul/SG, into a heavy 2x12 combo.

Sweeping generalisations there, obviously, but there's an element of truth IMO.[/quote]
I play an 80's Electra X-940 Les Paul with interchangable on board effects....but Im a saddo :)
And of late Ive been pumping it through a Walkabout Scout :lol: cos Im to lazy to get the Fender Twin out of the loft :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chris2112' post='959018' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:31 AM']Carl Thompson basses are already really expensive! Very rare too, given the size of Carl's operation, apparently he makes approximately 10 a year! :)

I don't think even think Carl is making instruments now, last I hear a couple of years ago was that he was completing his order book and taking repair and refurb work on basses he had already made. They all seem to circulate in America too and I've not seen one for sale in this country for ages.

Alembics, as mentioned, will just hold their value. Some of them have been sold for "giveaway" prices but they are what they are: beautifully finished handmade instruments. There are plenty around too, which is encouraging. If I had a 4 string series I or II I'd be happy man![/quote]

I would be the first to say Alembic. However, I used to own a 20th Anniversary model, one of only 200 worldwide, but looking at current prices, this instrument hasn't really appreciated in value very much.

I'm biased, but I'd go with Roscoe. Truly hand built. And early pre-Gibson Tobias, too.

PreCBS Fenders got popular initially due to baby boomer nostalgia, not because of the build quality. Fender was set up for mass production in the 50's and they understood the value of market saturation in beating out competition. The high profile they had in the 50's got translated into aspiration 20 years later when those baby boomers had disposable income. Greedy retailers and purchase post rationalisation pushed up the prices which then made them seem even more desirable to prospective owners and so the cycle continued.

I don't think we'll ever find the same set of circumstances happening again. But there are isolated pockets of aspiration in certain limited edition instruments by other makers. Its got nothing to do with build quality and everything to do with status - a bit like some classic cars. Pre 90s Ferrari's have crap build quality but that doesn't stop them being a chick magnet.

Agree..and when people played these things in the 60's and 70's they were pretty brand new then.
I do think the vintage thing is just a facet of the market and a way to talk up prices.

There may be something to be said for some manufacturing process' and quality components, but Fender were not picky about that then. They were as mass produced and as cheaply made as they could be at that time.
The only thing that hikes the price is that not many have one from such a period... how desirable they would be to play and how good they can sound isn't really the factor, IMO.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='958794' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:50 PM']Really? I'd say the opposite is true, compared to (for example) guitarists. We embrace our active circuits, fretlessness and lightweight amp gear.[/quote]
A small subset of "we" embrace change. 90% of bassists in local bands for local people play Fenders or Squiers.

[quote name='tauzero' post='961930' date='Sep 20 2010, 10:21 AM']A small subset of "we" embrace change. 90% of bassists in local bands for local people play Fenders or Squiers.[/quote]
Actually, yes, this is very true. I get a bit skewed by hanging around on bass forums with all the bass über-nerds and mega-geeks. :)

That said, I've spent a fair bit of time looking on guitar (and general music) forums, which are full of presumably equivalently dedicated guitar-nerds... and everyone's still talking about Strats/Teles/SGs/Les Pauls. The odd Ibanez or PRS, but it's still mainly the big four.

From a collectable PoV I'd say the only ones mentioned recently that fits the criteria would be the original Steinberger basses. That the current models are pale imitations of the originals only makes the pre-Gibson ones all the more desirable.

While Sei may be fantastic basses (and I do believe that Martin Petersen is one of the best bass luthiers in the world) I don't think they'll ever be really collectable simply because the instruments are all too individual and different. For instance just take a look at the Sei Flamboyants owned by 7string and myself; apart from the basic shape and construction method they have nothing else in common.

Well, as far as future collectables go, it's hard to think as there is so much stuff now and it's all so good. I think Alembic, and Fodera will always be sought after and have a very high demand if/when they ever stop producing them, or the company changes direction/ownership.

There are so many Jazz type basses around that will only saturate the market and make the original fenders even more sought after by comparison. I think anything a bit different, anyone taking a risk (above names, status, headless designs) will be sought after. Most instruments tho, seem to follow in the purposeful steps of Fender, and I can't seem to imagine them being valuable in time, just reaching a certain point in depreciation and being used for years and years...

Edited by fingerz

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an example..

I've played lots of basses, out of all of them, I think the Wal was the most beautifully made bass I've ever owned, but in the end the sound just wasn't right for me.
I use an EB musicman 5 now.

I bought a used squier jazz for my daughter on ebay for £120 it sounded and played great, comparable with other great basses I've played. I was really surprised.. and lucky, (they don't all sound like that).

So there are cheap mass produced basses that are great instruments, the only way to find them is to play them, or get lucky!

[quote name='ElCapitan' post='993018' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:31 AM']What's the warning for? You being an idiot?[/quote]

Not put the best but I know what he is saying .cheap and if it cuts through dont really go hand in hand. A cheap P bass will cut through anything with a good amp better than a Pukka T bird for instance unless you are familiar with them and know how to get that cool sound to come through you will fiddle all night.A cheap P or J copy at a jam night within 2 mins you will get a useable sound even if its not your normal sound or even one you like but as far as cutting through defo!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='993039' date='Oct 19 2010, 01:34 AM']While Sei may be fantastic basses (and I do believe that Martin Petersen is one of the best bass luthiers in the world) I don't think they'll ever be really collectable simply because the instruments are all too individual and different.quote....

i agree with this...[/quote]

However, for the playing community they will always be revered and desireable instruments namely because they're brilliant!