Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

[quote name='MythSte' post='726631' date='Jan 27 2010, 05:55 PM']Cheers for that, you got a good deal! :rolleyes:

I really hope you can find some settings that make it loud enough though mate. If the tones anything like mine itd be a real shame if you had to let it go.[/quote]

Me to, I will gig it a bit more, Its such a good tone :)

This is my main rig these days. The head is a standard (non RC) Ashdown ABM Evo iii housed in a custom fight case (from Castle Cases), which includes a couple of rack spaces for toys - currently Korg DTR2000 and Samson PB10 for the extra lights!.

[attachment=41410:z1.jpg]

[attachment=41411:z2.jpg]

Sounds a lot bigger than it looks!

It's an SVT-IIP > into a 600W /channel C-Audio ST600 > Schroeder 1212L

Headroom galore!

PS I've got a new rack case (the one with the great big 'ole in) ... Anyone got any bright ideas how best to secure it on top of the other one?

The bottom one's a Boschma, the top ones an SKB. They don't seem to get on at all. Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='732765' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:06 PM']

Sounds a lot bigger than it looks!

It's an SVT-IIP > into a 600W /channel C-Audio ST600 > Schroeder 1212L

Headroom galore!

PS I've got a new rack case (the one with the great big 'ole in) ... Anyone got any bright ideas how best to secure it on top of the other one?

The bottom one's a Boschma, the top ones an SKB. They don't seem to get on at all.[/quote]

Any reason you dont just put both of them in the larger rack case?

[quote name='MythSte' post='732804' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:24 PM']Any reason you dont just put both of them in the larger rack case?[/quote]

aye, well two things. The 3U is a shallow case, and the 2U is full width and "just" takes the power amp. Which is heavy enough @ 17kg (21kg with the rack) to warrant me putting the pre in it's own rack. I've got to be able to get it in and out of the back seat of a VW Polo. Which is tough when you're 6'5" :) It's deffo against 'elf and safety as it is!

That and I'm thinking about getting a Sansamp at some stage in there too.

I might just bugger it all off and get a 4U at somepoint, but I'll have to wait and see if we change car - see if I can get the speaker and the rack in the boot. A 4U would be fine then.

This shows the depths...

The floor under the table isn't that dirty BTW, it's a lighting / camera / tile texture / feline problem!

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='732816' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:33 PM']aye, well two things. The 3U is a shallow case, and the 2U is full width and "just" takes the power amp. Which is heavy enough @ 17kg (21kg with the rack) to warrant me putting the pre in it's own rack. I've got to be able to get it in and out of the back seat of a VW Polo. Which is tough when you're 6'5" :) It's deffo against 'elf and safety as it is!

That and I'm thinking about getting a Sansamp at some stage in there too.

I might just bugger it all off and get a 4U at somepoint, but I'll have to wait and see if we change car - see if I can get the speaker and the rack in the boot. A 4U would be fine then.[/quote]

ah!

Well, sounds like a good excuse to buy a tiny class D poweramp to me :rolleyes:

[quote name='MythSte' post='732820' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:36 PM']ah!

Well, sounds like a good excuse to buy a tiny class D poweramp to me :rolleyes:[/quote]

Been there and done that :lol:...

They're ok. But they don't sound as good as this... and they break... On stage... :)

This power amp is built like a tank and does 1200W bridged. And it's only 17kg - which isn't that heavy. And it sounds superb.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='732836' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:52 PM']Been there and done that :rolleyes:...

They're ok. But they don't sound as good as this... and they break... On stage... :)

This power amp is built like a tank and does 1200W bridged. And it's only 17kg - which isn't that heavy. And it sounds superb.[/quote]

I'm certainly beginning to wonder if there is much tone difference between Class D and normal Fet powered amps. At first i thought there was nothing in it. However im constantly being convinced otherwise.

I'd like to try a high quility Class D, say 500 watt amp against the Fet equivalent and see what differences are thats for sure.

[quote name='MythSte' post='732844' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:57 PM']I'm certainly beginning to wonder if there is much tone difference between Class D and normal Fet powered amps. At first i thought there was nothing in it. However im constantly being convinced otherwise.

I'd like to try a high quility Class D, say 500 watt amp against the Fet equivalent and see what differences are thats for sure.[/quote]

I had the oppurtunity to compare the old markbass 450 amp (not an sa450 the one before) that had a Fet power amp section against am LMII, and the Fet maybe had it by a whisker, however the sa450 that I have weighs nothing and sounds amazing....

[quote name='MythSte' post='732844' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:57 PM']I'm certainly beginning to wonder if there is much tone difference between Class D and normal Fet powered amps. At first i thought there was nothing in it. However im constantly being convinced otherwise.

I'd like to try a high quility Class D, say 500 watt amp against the Fet equivalent and see what differences are thats for sure.[/quote]

I've got a BK MXF1200d, which is supposed to have the same power. 600W per channel.

I don't use it. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good. And has broken down once on stage and once at rehearsal through overheating (Although it was powering 2 Acme Low B2s - which it hated - it did one channel ok - but broke twice when powering 2. I had to rewire the Acmes to be 16Ohm to stop it). It's also not got the same power across different frequencies (esp lows) that this C-Audio has. Just doesn't seem to have the same depth.

That said. The C-Audio is a very, very good amp. UK built (not UK assembled) with good design and good parts.

I've heard good things about the Powersoft amps though I've not heard one. I'd like to try. Maybe they'd do it for me, but they're way too expensive really... even used.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='51m0n' post='732855' date='Feb 2 2010, 01:06 PM']I had the oppurtunity to compare the old markbass 450 amp (not an sa450 the one before) that had a Fet power amp section against am LMII, and the Fet maybe had it by a whisker, however the sa450 that I have weighs nothing and sounds amazing....[/quote]

I reckon there's something to be said for a pre-amp and class D in one head. I think then the power amp could be programmed / voiced for the pre and you could overcome some of the inherent problems that are apparent with standalone class D power amps - ie they don't like it up em :)

[quote name='bigjohn' post='732887' date='Feb 2 2010, 01:19 PM']I reckon there's something to be said for a pre-amp and class D in one head. I think then the power amp could be programmed / voiced for the pre and you could overcome some of the inherent problems that are apparent with standalone class D power amps - ie they don't like it up em :)[/quote]

Not only that but the LM2 isnt technically a class D head AFAIK. And its a lot warmer than most class D's, even the ones with tube Pre's. hmm.

[quote name='MythSte' post='732894' date='Feb 2 2010, 01:24 PM']Not only that but the LM2 isnt technically a class D head AFAIK. And its a lot warmer than most class D's, even the ones with tube Pre's. hmm.[/quote]

True, its a switching or 'digital' powers supply, you're right, but also compared was an F1 and that is a true digital amp, and that was very different from either of the other heads, we also compared Mesa, Ampeg and maybe a GK head all through an Epifani 115ul and 210ul stack with a variety of Dingwall 5 strings. The MB 450 silverfaced old school power supply head beat the LMII by a gnats, and the F1 came next, the rest weren't even close. We spent hours going back and forth between all the different heads. Fair made my fingers sore :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='734566' date='Feb 3 2010, 10:15 PM']Looking good, Ben, did you get rid of the synth?[/quote]

Naaaa i realised i was an idiot and just put the synth before the muff instead of after it...

but i sprayed the pick guard for the SUB black. its flaking off and it looks banging.

[quote name='Raggy' post='726195' date='Jan 27 2010, 12:05 PM']So I walked into my local music store to buy some plectrums...........

And walked out with this!! :)
[attachment=41251:Quatra.jpg][/quote]

I noticed your from Wiltshire so assume this is the one that was in Holmes Music, stop me if I'm wrong.

How much did they sell it for in the end?

My current stable

Apologies for the crap photo

My stuff:

MM Stingray 5 SH in Tobacco burst
Schecter Stilletto Custom 5
Aguilar AG 500 Dual channel
Purple Chili 2 x 12 + piezo
Purple Chili 1 x 15
Behringer Rack tuner
Zoom 2020 Effects box

Only got the Purple Chili cabs yesterday so have yet to try them in a band scenario...they dwarf the Mesas but are about half the weight!

BTW any body interested in the Mesas? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76401"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76401[/url]

Next on the list...Hmmm Korg DTR2000 tuner I think

Edited by nique