Why become a member? ×

Stingray experience on the cheap?

cameltoe

I've been gassing for a stingray for a while, and although I'd love to take the plunge and just buy a second hand one (given that 2nd hand prices are very generous) I've only ever played one for about 2 minutes, unplugged.

Plus I'm about to move house, have just paid for a new amp head, new tuners, and got a new Precision only a couple of months back.

So, I was looking for any recommendations on Stingray copies, which can give me most of the experience of owning a Stingray, at nowhere near the cost.

I'm not talking £400 SUB's, more like £200 brand-new, might find one on ebay for £100 used-type prices.

A while back I passed up an OLP for £80 because I didn't have the cash, I wish I hadn't now, as they seem to be considered the best cheap copies, so far as I've read. However, even 2nd hand I've seen these fetch almost £200, because of the rave reviews I guess. This, again, is probably going to be too much.

I can always chuck a Stingray P'up in to try and get a more authentic sound, but I'm hoping to find a copy that has a very similar 'feel' to a 'Ray, so in the future, if I'm considering buying one on a whim I will at least know what it's going to be like!

Edited by cameltoe

There aren't many budget Stingray-a-likes that hit the spot - there seem to be loads of Precisions/Jazzes that are pretty much there on tone (not a hard formula is it ?!)

An [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page10.php?area_id=3&data_id=197&color=CL01&year=2010&cat_id=2&series_id=326"]Ibanez ATK[/url] might be up your street for the tone, not sure about the feel though, the neck is likely chunkier.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='953812' date='Sep 12 2010, 06:32 PM']Id save for the real thing. Try and find a mint second hand one. Trust me, they are worth it :)[/quote]
And a 3rd :rolleyes:

My mate has a cheap copy and its sh*t! nothing like it and doesnt even sound like a humbucker probably a fake sort of single coil inside.To be fair (bloody hell mcnash things are changing) Im actually for the OLP on this one for £200 you could get a good one with change that will hit the spot for now and keep its value to put to the real deal if you decide thats the route to go down or cheap enough to keep just for the odd occasion you need a ray sound/look if you dont fall in love with it?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='953812' date='Sep 12 2010, 06:32 PM']Id save for the real thing. Try and find a mint second hand one. Trust me, they are worth it :)[/quote]

You've got three!
:lol:

No need to be greedy.

I just would like to get a good idea of what a Stingray is all about, before I give up my hard-earned. I've seen good ones on here for about £750, and I'd be well up for spending that on a nice one (pref. black/maple :rolleyes: ), but at this point in time, I don't know if I'd even get on with it, whether it would sound right, or whether it would feel natural for me to play.

The only other option, is to find someone who's willing to lend me one for a few weeks.

I might be selling my Ashdown Little Bastard soon if the Orange bass terror I've got coming does a similar job. That should free up some cash. Seems a shame not to spend money from the sale of old gear on new gear.

Edited by cameltoe

I think that unless you go for an OLP you will have a fruitless search. I had one of those Vintage ET96 I think it was called and it was a piece of kack. Looked ok from a distance but was a waste of money in the end. And it weighed a bloomin ton. As already said, save your money and get a SUB or an OLP.

Jez

I feel I've exhausted the whole OLP thing to the point where it looks like I have a bone to pick (which I haven't) over on mcnash's thread but for me OLP is distinctly vanilla. If you want to even come close to a 'ray tone you need either a SUB or a Sterling Ray 34 - although I have no personal experience with the later.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='953874' date='Sep 12 2010, 07:31 PM']I played a Vintage one that was sub £200 that seemed nice. I know you say don't mention Olp but they come up often enough on here & are nice for the money too[/quote]

The only reason I didn't want them mentioned is because I've read a lot about them, and too often the second hand prices are inflated. If I could pick one up for the money I'm hoping to spend, I'd love to have one.

The vintage copies look the real deal (bar the headstock). Not played one though

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='953880' date='Sep 12 2010, 07:36 PM']Where abouts are you cameltoe? Do you have anything nice we could do a temporary swap with for a few weeks? Im in Staffs not Button moon! :)[/quote]

I have some nice gear, but I'm in Cornwall, so might as well be button moon!

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' post='954159' date='Sep 12 2010, 10:40 PM']The only reason I didn't want them mentioned is because I've read a lot about them, and too often the second hand prices are inflated. If I could pick one up for the money I'm hoping to spend, I'd love to have one.

The vintage copies look the real deal (bar the headstock). Not played one though

I have some nice gear, but I'm in Cornwall, so might as well be button moon![/quote]

As already said, save your pennies and get the real deal.
A lot of basses look like them, but they sure as he'll aren't going to feel or sound like them.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='953995' date='Sep 12 2010, 08:41 PM']I feel I've exhausted the whole OLP thing to the point where it looks like I have a bone to pick (which I haven't) over on mcnash's thread but for me OLP is distinctly vanilla. If you want to even come close to a 'ray tone you need either a SUB or a Sterling Ray 34 - although I have no personal experience with the later.[/quote]

I'm selling my SUB for £350 collected which is for as cheap as it gets. Once you get past the finish, it's the same thing. I've still gone and brought my dream stingray though.

I think you should really try one first. Its always the case that those who have them will tell you to just go and buy one but I personally love the 5 strings and hate the 4 strings. I never got on with the stingray sound, the 5 being effectively a Sterling until recently. If I was to get one again it would need to be a Sterling.

Don;t suppose there's anyone relatively close to you so you could borrow one for a while or even anyone who rents them?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='953739' date='Sep 12 2010, 05:48 PM']I've been gassing for a stingray for a while, and although I'd love to take the plunge and just buy a second hand one (given that 2nd hand prices are very generous) I've only ever played one for about 2 minutes, unplugged.

Plus I'm about to move house, have just paid for a new amp head, new tuners, and got a new Precision only a couple of months back.

So, I was looking for any recommendations on Stingray copies, which can give me most of the experience of owning a Stingray, at nowhere near the cost.

I'm not talking £400 SUB's, more like £200 brand-new, might find one on ebay for £100 used-type prices.

A while back I passed up an OLP for £80 because I didn't have the cash, I wish I hadn't now, as they seem to be considered the best cheap copies, so far as I've read. However, even 2nd hand I've seen these fetch almost £200, because of the rave reviews I guess. This, again, is probably going to be too much.

I can always chuck a Stingray P'up in to try and get a more authentic sound, but I'm hoping to find a copy that has a very similar 'feel' to a 'Ray, so in the future, if I'm considering buying one on a whim I will at least know what it's going to be like![/quote]

I will only say about OLPs that I've recently bought one on eBay for £120 plus delivery, and months ago I got a really sweet one for £100 locally... set an eBay search and every week there's one or two. You'll soon find one for a reasonable price.

The Stingray copies by SX seemed quite interesting. They stopped production very fast, but SX instruments tend to be quite nice, and there's someone on youtuve using an SX stingray bass that looks and sounds really good.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='953862' date='Sep 12 2010, 07:17 PM']And a 3rd :)

My mate has a cheap copy and its sh*t! nothing like it and doesnt even sound like a humbucker probably a fake sort of single coil inside.To be fair (bloody hell mcnash things are changing) Im actually for the OLP on this one for £200 you could get a good one with change that will hit the spot for now and keep its value to put to the real deal if you decide thats the route to go down or cheap enough to keep just for the odd occasion you need a ray sound/look if you dont fall in love with it?[/quote]

ha ha ha! :lol: I'm saving this post for future reference :o

Nah, it just shows you're a reasonable type, with good taste :rolleyes:

Seriously, if that's the budget you won't get a Stingray. Then to me it's obviously an OLP, and upgrade it as time/finances allow. But it's true, a Stingray will give you something that OLPs... just can't. I love OLPs, I own three... but since I gigged the Stingray I doubt I'll leave the house with any other bass now.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='954280' date='Sep 13 2010, 04:29 AM']I think you should really try one first. Its always the case that those who have them will tell you to just go and buy one but I personally love the 5 strings and hate the 4 strings. I never got on with the stingray sound, the 5 being effectively a Sterling until recently. If I was to get one again it would need to be a Sterling.

Don;t suppose there's anyone relatively close to you so you could borrow one for a while or even anyone who rents them?[/quote]

I've tried a fair few Stingrays in shops... and none seemed so much better than my favourite OLP.
I t wasn't until I tried a lovely one at gig volumes, with the band, that I *felt* it. A subsequent gig then confirmed it for me.

Just saying that some differences may not be as obvious until you test them "in action".

[quote name='budget bassist' post='954262' date='Sep 13 2010, 01:18 AM']The ibanez ATK is the only 'cheap' bass i've played that sounded anything like a stingray (and the only other non-musicman bass i've ever played that sounded like one was a warwick $$, i own one of course)[/quote]

Was that my old ATK Sam?!

Another +1 from me for the ATK. They get much closer to the Stingray tone than anything else I've played. The clever coil switching also gives some pretty good P sounds as well. I only sold mine when I bought my first 'ray.

[quote name='mcnach' post='954401' date='Sep 13 2010, 09:31 AM']The Stingray copies by SX seemed quite interesting. They stopped production very fast, but SX instruments tend to be quite nice, and there's someone on youtuve using an SX stingray bass that looks and sounds really good.[/quote]
They still make them, Rondo in the US just don't import them anymore.

I bought a brand new one a month ago.