Why become a member? ×

Volume disparity - help me please!

Jazzman

OK - let me try and explain the problem...

I regularly use two basses at the same time, and need to do quick changes. I have both basses plugged in, with the leads fed into an AB10 box (in reverse) and on into my amp. The AB10 switches the channels for me and is great in theory.

However, the difference in output level between my 5 string and my fretless is substantial. Both are active Warwicks, but the 5 string is incredibly loud (on my Markbass amp, I have to set the input level to 2 (out of 6) to prevent clipping). As a result I also have to resort to adjusting the volume on the amp at the same time, which is not very precise, and I can't always put it exactly whre it was when I switch back.

What is the best solution to this problem?

I would ideally like some kind of box, which can cut or boost each channel so that the signal sent to the amp is always the same, but I'm not aware that anything like that exists. I don't really wan to spend a lot of money on it if it's not necessary.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='952282' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:45 PM']Don't fanny around, just fit a passive volume control to one channel of your a/b box. Could barely be simpler.[/quote]
problem with doing that is if the input on the amp is high impedance you can end up with a bit of a dull tone

[quote name='neilb' post='952242' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:50 PM']Take a look at the Radial website. They do a I/O box that allows you to adjust the level of one input.[/quote]
+1

I have this one:

[url="http://www.tonebone.com/tb-bassbone.htm"]Radial Bassbone[/url]

and it does the job ... plus you have separate EQ for one channel AND (I discovered the benefits of this not so long ago) a switchable effects loop.
Great piece of equipment.

Tom

Edited by tom5string

[quote name='tom5string' post='952439' date='Sep 11 2010, 07:44 AM']+1

I have this one:

[url="http://www.tonebone.com/tb-bassbone.htm"]Radial Bassbone[/url]

and it does the job ... plus you have separate EQ for one channel AND (I discovered the benefits of this not so long ago) a switchable effects loop.
Great piece of equipment.

Tom[/quote]
Yep this is the puppy.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='952512' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:59 AM']Are there output trim pots on the basses pre amps that you can adjust?[/quote]
I've heard that there are on Warwick basses, but when I had a quick look once I couldn't find anything. I am completely incompetent at any form of electronics, so forget about doing anything with my AB box.

It sounds like the Radal thingy is what I'[m after and will investigate immediately. Thanks for allthe replies

[quote name='Protium' post='953159' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:13 PM']Or just use the volume control on the bass...[/quote]

I don't get the sort of tone I require from my two basses without maximum level both in a recording and live setting and the output of both basses varies greatly, so I don't reckon it's as straight forward as using the volume on the bass IMO.

[quote name='Matty' post='954239' date='Sep 12 2010, 11:57 PM']how about a boss LS-2.
volume control over both basses, simple stompbox format, dead cheap.[/quote]

I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to mention the swiss army LS-2.

You can pick them up used for about £40 usually, they are useful for tonnes of stuff, anywhere you can imagine needing an A/B loop/switch or a simple 2-channel mixer.

I'm ideally looking to boost the volume of the quieter bass, even though I know this will be more expensive. A friend has suggested the Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe. Any thoughts?

Adjusting the volume on the instruments is not an option I'm prepared to consider. I always return the knobs to zero when putting a bass down, so finding the right volume on picking it up again would not be practical. Not to mention that I like to send the maximum signal strength from the instrument at all times.

[quote name='markstuk' post='963135' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:22 AM']this looks quite sweet for the money...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PREAMP-mixer-head-phone-DI-BOX-ONE-PRODUCER-/230469073776?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35a906fb70"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PREAMP-mixer-head-ph...=item35a906fb70[/url][/quote]

"... each one is checked INDIVIDUALY". Hopefully by someone with better attention to detail than that.

[quote name='Jazzman' post='952225' date='Sep 10 2010, 08:27 PM']....I also have to resort to adjusting the volume on the amp at the same time, which is not very precise, and I can't always put it exactly whre it was when I switch back. What is the best solution to this problem?....[/quote]
I guess you could take more time when switching basses?

[quote name='Jazzman' post='962798' date='Sep 20 2010, 10:08 PM']I'm ideally looking to boost the volume of the quieter bass, even though I know this will be more expensive. A friend has suggested the Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe. Any thoughts?

Adjusting the volume on the instruments is not an option I'm prepared to consider. I always return the knobs to zero when putting a bass down, so finding the right volume on picking it up again would not be practical. Not to mention that I like to send the maximum signal strength from the instrument at all times.[/quote]

I had the older BDDI. It was ok for a while when I had a crappy amp, but I found once I started using a better amp (and better basses) I could never get a tone I liked out of it.