Why become a member? ×

Are some Basschat Topics & posts getting out of hand?

silverfoxnik

I don't think there's too much of a problem, mainly because most people don't rise to the bait. IMO there was a bigger problem than this on Bassworld last year when a small group of people were openly seeing how far they could push the Mods. I've not seen anything like that on Basschat.

[quote name='clauster' post='108482' date='Dec 23 2007, 11:16 AM']a lot of people say they don't like country - I always ask which style(s) they don't like, it's a hell of a journey from bluegrass to neil young and round to gram persons).[/quote]
Both kinds - country and western :)

I have just read/caught up on this thread. Thanks to everyone for the comments thus far, positive and negative. Obviously the net isn't for everyone and others don't like large groups and preferred the early days when the forum was really small and I could check it on my Nokia WAP phone(!!).

All I have to add is that of late the forum has become really good fun for me personally - I mentioned to kiwi the other day in fact that I feel the foum is doing really well and has a great bunch of members on board. I, like others, avoid posts that I don't want to read or comment on, but am finding there isn't enough time to read and comment on the ones that DO interest me which is fantastic.

I have made lots of friends through the forum, it continues to be an excellent melting pot of ideas, tastes, styles and opinions (as covered nicely by Jakesbass) and I for one am enjoying it all the more for that. But them I am very easy going!

This place is what you make it. You might say I am biased but I love it ;0)

[quote name='ped' post='108502' date='Dec 23 2007, 11:54 AM']I have just read/caught up on this thread. Thanks to everyone for the comments thus far, positive and negative. Obviously the net isn't for everyone and others don't like large groups and preferred the early days when the forum was really small and I could check it on my Nokia WAP phone(!!).

All I have to add is that of late the forum has become really good fun for me personally - I mentioned to kiwi the other day in fact that I feel the foum is doing really well and has a great bunch of members on board. I, like others, avoid posts that I don't want to read or comment on, but am finding there isn't enough time to read and comment on the ones that DO interest me which is fantastic.

I have made lots of friends through the forum, it continues to be an excellent melting pot of ideas, tastes, styles and opinions (as covered nicely by Jakesbass) and I for one am enjoying it all the more for that. But them I am very easy going!

This place is what you make it. You might say I am biased but I love it ;0)[/quote]

So do I and I love the diversity of style, opinions and backgrounds. Apologies to anyone I might have offended, sometimes what I type looks more waspish than I intended.

Interesting that it's not religious or political differences that seem to be causing upsets!

[quote name='ped' post='108502' date='Dec 23 2007, 11:54 AM']I have just read/caught up on this thread. Thanks to everyone for the comments thus far, positive and negative. Obviously the net isn't for everyone and others don't like large groups and preferred the early days when the forum was really small and I could check it on my Nokia WAP phone(!!).

This place is what you make it. You might say I am biased but I love it ;0)[/quote]

+1 to all of that Ped... Have a good one mate!

Interesting to see that on the Poll, the majority of people who've voted think that the best way to manage things is through members being more responsible and that is definitely an opinion I share..

Though the Basschat Forum obviously belongs to the few administrators that started it earlier in the year (step forward and take a well deserved bow, chaps), I feel like this is 'our forum' and as such, it's up to all of us to look after it. As Ped says, [i]"This place is what you make it"[/i]

Edited by silverfoxnik

I think its great that the membership is taking an active role in generating some genuine consensus over what is acceptable conduct. However, if the consequence of the membership taking more of a steer is that there's more open conflict on the forum then I still see there being a need for moderation.

I have no problem whatsoever with responsible members taking responsibility for their own behaviour on the forum, in fact I applaud it. Regrettably however, its a fact of life that not everyone who contributes to Basschat is prepared to take on responsibility for the impact of their behaviour on other members. In fact I'm fairly sure that this is almost unavoidable with any forum that has a membership from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures. However, to put some perspective on matters, I think members who have a more casual interest in the forum are likely to be put off by open conflict.

Regardless of any political interests as far as freedom of speech is concerned, I think this is why there is a need for moderators. They have a thankless task sometimes and often do the dirty work of taking matters up with individuals to avoid the risk of open conflict. This makes the forum much less odious. to use

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='108208' date='Dec 22 2007, 04:19 PM']This isn't a simple issue.

First point: Is this trend an attempt at Chris Morris humour or genuine opinion? Hard to tell sometimes. Undoubtedly there is some shock value either way.

Oh sod it, let's cut to the chase, the subject of this discussion is basically the two or three controversial posts and/or contributions BBC has made. There's a tendency to button push for humorous effect, but after seeing a couple of really intelligent posts BBC has mixed in, I go for the Chris Morris angle. He may play the fool but he isn't one underneath. Can't help feeling there's an agenda somewhere though.

Now let's suppose it's genuine opinion. If Hitler himself started contributing, I wouldn't mind, because how do we counter without first hearing the argument? Extreme views often condemn themselves when held up to public glare.

Second point: I'm uneasy with censorship and personally would find it impossible to moderate effectively and fairly - a superhuman task to do it with consistency. I self-censor in that regard, ignoring posts I don't like, and contributing to those I do, and experimenting with those I'm not sure of.

Third Point: I'm getting to know those who provoke controversy, and act accordingly. Some controversy helps to stop things getting stale in my opinion. I find what others think is fascinating, if more than a little bizarre at times.

Fourth Point: There isn't a person on this board I wouldn't help out if I could*. I can't say that of any other board. That's the strength. If there was a danger of losing that then I really would be worried. It's a judgement the moderators would have to make. I don't envy them.

*Within reason folks...[/quote]

I have no intension to make this forum a worse place for anyone and I genuinely apologise to anyone who feels this is the case. I appreciate that my sense of humour is totally warped, and I have some off the wall views, but I'm yet to kill anyone. I think it doesn't help that I refuse to put smilies in any of my less serious posts (they're in league with Jazz) so people probably don't know if I'm joking or not. As a rule, if you read something from me, its probably not 100% serious so chill out.

Its interesting to see though the number of people who will post on a thread to say "i don't agree with this thread" thus bumping it up. Surely, if you don't like the banter, its best not to even bother reading it, let alone post?

By reading this I realise that a few people are a bit p*ssed off with the types of posts going up at the moment. Again, I apologise if anyone is offended, but i think you need to put it in perspective to some degree. I'm not that bad.

Why don't we all just get naked and have a little wrestle?

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='Waldo' post='108581' date='Dec 23 2007, 03:19 PM']I really do take offense at this.[/quote]

Glad to see I've not lost my touch.

I agree with pretty much all of this thread (I'm a yes man) except that the forum has lost it's touch etc.
If this site was full of people putting up post about this or that and everyone just said 'yes, good point' this would be a very un exciting forum.

I agree there's a thresh hold which people may reach quicker than others but instead of abusive returns at maybe 'offencive' highly opinionated topics maybe one should think "If you don't have anything nice to say (or constructive) just don't say it" and leave the topic to burn itself out without ever getting wound up over what is really nothing to get wound up over.

Personally I love this site, it's become my no.1 forum for posting on, and if people want to say something that may cause annoyance like "I hate Jazz", fine by me, i don't have to read it afterall.

P.S: 2 days till christmas!!!!

I have little to regret,and many more wars to enjoy.

I WILL continue to haunt and undermine,the proud ignorant.the charlatan,and the plastic authoritarian.

The closed mind shall be prised open by vitriol,scathing comment...or by the sheer absurdity.

I am right...deal with it! And f*** you if you dont agree! :)

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='108613' date='Dec 23 2007, 04:45 PM']I have little to regret,and many more wars to enjoy.

I WILL continue to haunt and undermine,the proud ignorant.the charlatan,and the plastic authoritarian.

The closed mind shall be prised open by vitriol,scathing comment...or by the sheer absurdity.

I am right...deal with it! And f*** you if you dont agree! :)[/quote]

But first I will learn to use punctuation correctly.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='108615' date='Dec 23 2007, 04:49 PM']But first I will learn to use punctuation correctly.[/quote]

Dammit..you saw through it first :) :huh: :huh:

Why let correct grammer get in the way of a good statement?

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='thumbo' post='108139' date='Dec 22 2007, 02:07 PM']I personally don't find this forum half as friendly as it was back in the bassworld days.[/quote]

I totally agree, I hardly ever check out this site anymore, today was the first time in ages.

If someone dislikes something then that's fair enough, but I don't see the point in stating so like a petulant 14 year old, the opening phrase to the 'I hate jazz' thread for example was so stupid.

And being openly being abusive on a forum like this, (see the ERB thread where someone slagged off Steve Lawson).

There are far too many narrow minded people who have extremely high opinions of themselves, but who've probably done anything new or creative in their lives, and just seem to take pleasure in being rude, and critical of people who do try to be 'different', or play music that isn't mainstream on an instrument that hasn't got only 4 strings.

This is SUPPOSED to be a community, and just like any other community, there are people with different opinions and outlooks, this should be welcomed, and not a point for supposed discussion, the so called discussion usually just ends up in people slagging off others and totally ignoring their expressed opinions.

Well, the usual advice in pub discussions is "no religion or politics", so I suppose we need to extend the definition of "religion" to include Jazz, and "politics" to include Jamiroquai... I have no idea which category ERBs fall in to. :)

Except for the Jazz thread, where I thought I asked some reasonable on-topic questions, I usually can't do much more than try to inject a little levity. This has the unfortunate side-effect of making me look a little clueless and wishy-washy, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

It surprises and saddens me more when I see people say they find the place less friendly and don't sign on as often because of one or two very avoidable posts than the 'negative' content some members seem to enjoy posting.

Like I said originally, this place is what you make it and personally I find it a great resource and am meeting great, thoughtful, funny and helpful members every day. Anyone who offends me or posts something I am not personally interested in I just pass by as I would some stranger on the street.

Cheers
ped

I can't recall whether I visited Bassworld or not, and have only recently (in the past few months) signed up to Basschat, so I have no idea of the history of it all.

What I can say in the short time I've used this, I've found a lot of it very useful. I've found some interesting ideas towards playing. practicing, etc. I've had some very thoughtful answers to a thread I started about covers bands and/or original bands. Yesterday, I even met up with G Major to buy an amp from him. So in a very short time, I've found this a very useful and interesting tool.

So for some of the more regular users that were part of Bassworld to think it's not worth signing on is a real shame. Lots of people like myself must be signing up to Basschat on a regular basis, and I'm sure the majority of them are not of the persuasion to use "HATE" etc. about styles of music, playing, types of basses, or even particular artists.

I hold some very strong opinions about music, but I'd like to believe that I can put those opinions across in a reasoned way. I'm also prepared to let someone try and convince me otherwise. There are styles of music I'm not keen on, there are artists I don't like, but I won't say I hate it/them, I suppose I just don't understand it/them.

So to dismiss an entire community because of a few extreme views is a little over the top.