Why become a member? ×

Examples of good use of a Whammy bar on a bass??

ajerthebadger

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='944996' date='Sep 3 2010, 10:00 PM']

Like this?

The only good example of good use was about the 2 minute mark when he used it during a harmonic :)[/quote]

Oh good grief! I stopped watching after about 30 seconds. CRINGE music! lol

[quote name='Stingray5' post='945091' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:24 AM']With his usual OTT-ness, Casiopea bassist Yoshihiro Naruse plays this marathon solo with his 8-string Tune TWB-T bass.
Some brief whammy at the beginning (harm.), then around 2 minutes in.

[/quote]

This makes me cry inside...and i'm fairly tolerant.

Jesus Christ, f***ing awful...

If that's what a bass trem means, then f*** bass trem.

Norwood from Fishbone had one on a 6-string Thumb bass back in the early '90s. I don't know if it ever got recorded but he used it live a lot, generally for silliness, but I remember it was impressive. Then again he could've played pretty much anything and I would've been impressed, I was quite impressionable and he was immensely cool.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='945116' date='Sep 4 2010, 01:14 AM']This makes me cry inside...and i'm fairly tolerant.

If that's what a bass trem means, then f*** bass trem.[/quote]

Yeah, definitely another "just get a guitar" moment.

And, of course, Jaco did the delay loop backing solo thing much better, too.

I guess there are extremes when it comes to 'playing tastefully' lol - I'd use a trem as I said above.. certainly in a solo passage with a bit of delay and light reverb for that lovely Gilmour effect in clean passages. Maybe compression to get the notes to ring out a bit, that'd be nice. a few pinch harmonics too - yeahh that'd be sweet. I'd not venture toward the scarey 80's hair-metal trem' debauchery that's for sure! ha ha!

Well, I did think of getting whammy bar myself a while back. I was into the whole 'hair metal' thing
back in the day. Thought better of it. I quite like that Rany Coven track. :) Sounds better on album.

As for the yosshinhiro video ....aaargggh ! Terrible. All the effects /delays he was using made it look like he was miming.
Makes a nikki six solo sound interesting

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='945116' date='Sep 4 2010, 01:14 AM']This makes me cry inside...and i'm fairly tolerant.

If that's what a bass trem means, then f*** bass trem.[/quote]
You can tell an enormous amount about a player by their use of vibrato, and I can tell that geezer's an unmusical c***.

:)

[quote name='mike f' post='947749' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:36 PM']Primus -John The Fisherman[/quote]

+1 Live the dive bomb harmonic slap Bweeeohhhhhhggh thing he does

Probably my favourite Primus track of all time - I have no idea how he plays that and sings it at the same time, the juxtaposition of vocals against bass is beyond a mindf***. He must have two brains!

[quote name='Stingray5' post='945091' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:24 AM']With his usual OTT-ness, Casiopea bassist Yoshihiro Naruse plays this marathon solo with his 8-string Tune TWB-T bass.
Some brief whammy at the beginning (harm.), then around 2 minutes in.

[/quote]

Bar just pulling his penis out on stage and wagging it for two minutes straight and grinning :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='947786' date='Sep 6 2010, 11:14 PM']+1 Live the dive bomb harmonic slap Bweeeohhhhhhggh thing he does

Probably my favourite Primus track of all time - I have no idea how he plays that and sings it at the same time, the juxtaposition of vocals against bass is beyond a mindf***. He must have two brains![/quote]

+ loads :)