Why become a member? ×

So who talks to you when you get off stage?

Cat Burrito

It's funny when I first started playing I actually had a lot more attention from the opposite sex after gigs then the rest of the band. I was far too modest to mention it at the time but it became a joke within the band (I was loved up at the time so no real tales to tell). A long time ago (& I don't know why) this attention very much dried up. I went through a phase of getting the kit junkies trying to talk about valves and patch cables. It's dawning on me now that I am getting the teenage support bands parents talking to me when I come off stage now

So a bit of fun, which stereotype is chewing the fat with you after gigs? The reality is it's probably a mix of all of those but who else can you add?

It's like this

Singer: hot chicks "can I have your number/a shag"
Guitarist: musicians "love your slide playing mate"
Drummer: slightly less hot chicks "the singer's not interested but you can shag me if you want"
Bass: soundguy "love that rig, my mate Dave plays Mesa Boogie"

Never varies :)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='944873' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:34 PM']It's like this

Singer: hot chicks "can I have your number/a shag"
Guitarist: musicians "love your slide playing mate"
Drummer: slightly less hot chicks "the singer's not interested but you can shag me if you want"
Bass: soundguy "love that rig, my mate Dave plays Mesa Boogie"

Never varies :)

C[/quote]

Spot on. :rolleyes:

I always get a bloke who wants to shake my hand, when I've got a bass in one and a tool box in the other. It's happened at the last three gigs.

Also, as an aside, everywhere I go I get asked by tourists and passers-by to take group photos of them. It happened twice during the first morning at Reading festival. I must be the only bloke they can find who looks like he won't run off with their camera :)

Cheers

Mark

I'm a proper bass player, I'm too busy packing the gear away coz the rest of the lazy bastard band are nattering to; groupies, kit junkies, the promoter, my Mum (hang on that's not right :rolleyes: ), the support band's parents, other 'so called' musicians, other bands with the generic "you're tight" observations, drunken idiots giving them career advice or any person not mentioned previously in order that they can avoid packing the gear away... do I speaketh the truth? :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='944891' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:51 PM']After the gig I've actually had someone ask me what I thought of the band.[/quote]
A few years ago, after playing at the Farmyard (a big bike rally in the north of england) a guy came up to the drummer backstage and told him how great the band were. The drummer thanked him only to get in an arguement with the guy who wouldn't believe that it was him who had just come off stage!!

Edited by peteb

I do have a nice little story on this one, I was doing a gig at the Distillers in Hammersmith a couple of years ago and a guy came up and said
"I like your playing, I'm a producer, give me your number what do you charge?"
I thought, heard it all before, gave him my number and promptly forgot about it, but was civil nonetheless
About 18 months later I get a call to do a session for him which I did and it went well and it turned out to be for Eliza Doolittle who seems to be flavour of the month at the mo. I know we often have to tolerate rubbish from punters sometimes but my example goes to show that it's always worth treating folk nicely.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='945048' date='Sep 3 2010, 10:51 PM']I do have a nice little story on this one, I was doing a gig at the Distillers in Hammersmith a couple of years ago and a guy came up and said
"I like your playing, I'm a producer, give me your number what do you charge?"
I thought, heard it all before, gave him my number and promptly forgot about it, but was civil nonetheless
About 18 months later I get a call to do a session for him which I did and it went well and it turned out to be for Eliza Doolittle who seems to be flavour of the month at the mo. I know we often have to tolerate rubbish from punters sometimes but my example goes to show that it's always worth treating folk nicely.[/quote]
Absolutely & a great story. I could trade you for a thousand drunken "my mate is a producer and he can get you on Top of the Pops" type tales though. Each one has been met with politeness from me but sadly no TOTP appearances :)

I'll talk to anyone :rolleyes: Any of my mates will tell you that, they can't get rid of me!

The next one I get quite a lot is my mate saying "been speaking to the other band's bassist, said you're pretty awesome" I just wish it didn't have to come through a mate! I like anyone who rates me playing :lol:

Sound engineer is always interested in my rig too, and then bassists always want a look at the basses. I've never really had any bad experiences :)

Roughly the same as the last post, and as I don`t drink (anymore), I find drunks more than a litle irritating. However, as I don`t wish to appear rude and stand-offish, I generally stay on-stage and start packing the gear away, starting with all the cables behind the drum-kit. As we dress in all black, combined with being the bassist anyway, this renders me virtually invisible, so people seek out the singer, who is usually making a drunken ar*e of himself elsewhere.

Suits me, if I`d wanted the limelight, I`d have developed a good voice, or mastered two extra strings.