Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2010

Gary

That NYC was bloody gorgeous, I had a go as well, so did my teacher who I was with (doing all the fancy triple slapping and stuff) It sounds fantastic, looks beautiful and is extremely accessible. I reckon my overall favourite was the Shuker fretless I played, that was lush.

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='983885' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:37 PM']hey,

I was there and it was awesome! spent most of my time playing the Alleva and the Fodera NYC! the Fodera 4 string (in red) was amazing ... best bass of the day IMO.[/quote]

you mean this one??
[attachment=61020:luke___fodera_nyc.JPG]

Now that was a great bass!! i agree with luke, it was the bass of the day for me.........actually for me it was in joint first place with this [attachment=61021:Xotic.JPG] this xotic bass was gorgeous!!

here's a few more pics for those who didnt make it
[attachment=61022:bassgear...a_fodera.JPG]
[attachment=61023:GB__WOW_.JPG]
[attachment=61024:loads.JPG]

:)

:lol:

[quote name='goblin' post='983905' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:50 PM']That NYC was bloody gorgeous, I had a go as well, so did my teacher who I was with (doing all the fancy triple slapping and stuff) It sounds fantastic, looks beautiful and is extremely accessible. I reckon my overall favourite was the Shuker fretless I played, that was lush.[/quote]

i think we met briefly, you told me about your Wal?

Great day all round ey! :)

i think a lot of people were impressed by that fodera :lol:

Wish i'd spent a bit more time trying basses today.

I am seriously strarting to look for something special.

Would have loved to try the Walnut Alleva Coppolo 4 string, amongst others.

There was also a blue/teal burst GB Spitfire with a maple fingerboard i wanted to sit with...but that stand winds me up, very hard to explain.

Think on the whole the noise level was better, and the clinics this year were much improved over last year.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='983925' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:03 PM']Would have loved to try the Walnut Alleva Coppolo 4 string, amongst others.[/quote]

Chris Da Bass tries that walnut Alleva and it was awful!! there was also a mojor build fault on the neck near the nut .. it just dipped away as if a chunk was missing! rather odd indeed!

Tried a Dingwall four string on a stand, and was suitably impressed with the fanned frets - Could get used to it.

Just didn't really have the chance to do much today; apart from get a knowing wink and nod from Billy Sheehan while trying the attitude sig bass, doing my best BS impersonation...

I didn't get a chance to try anything with fanned frets but I really wanted too. I'd have probably embarassed myself though :)

The girl on the Shuker stand let me have a go on her own Shuker (that spalted finish one) and I have to say that was epic too!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='983912' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:58 PM']you mean this one??
[attachment=61020:luke___fodera_nyc.JPG]

Now that was a great bass!! i agree with luke, it was the bass of the day for me.........[/quote]

This is the bass that won the mini shoot-out round at my place with a couple of friends one day vs a Sadowsky NYC Will Lee & a Celinder J Update.

It really is very nice to play & has a great sizzle & snap to it :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='982829' date='Oct 9 2010, 07:01 PM']I'm on the Matamp stand with my rig and a few of my basses, with that Tayste bloke, he's the one[i] with[/i] the hair!

Tony[/quote]

i went to that stand to look at the green matamp, i got a wierd look, didnt know if it was because someone recognized me from my avatar (i made it to resemble me) or whether you were worried i was gonna steal something :)

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='983925' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:03 PM']Wish i'd spent a bit more time trying basses

There was also a blue/teal burst GB Spitfire with a maple fingerboard i wanted to sit with...but that stand winds me up, very hard to explain.[/quote]

thats strange i got that too. But in my personal case it was because got the feeling i was actually been watched in case i stole something. Unfortunately im not joking like i was above. Very sad as it was one bass i really wanted to try (was also hoping for a Warwick and a Rickenbacker but a definate shortage of them too. ie not a one in sight, unless i missed something, and i went to every stand three times?)

Edited by daz

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='983955' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:46 PM']Tried a Dingwall four string on a stand, and was suitably impressed with the fanned frets - Could get used to it.[/quote]

I tried that 4 string Dingwall and was quite impressed. might have walked away with one had it been active.

[quote name='molan' post='983977' date='Oct 11 2010, 12:53 AM']This is the bass that won the mini shoot-out round at my place with a couple of friends one day vs a Sadowsky NYC Will Lee & a Celinder J Update.

It really is very nice to play & has a great sizzle & snap to it :)[/quote]

I am not surprised that the Fodera won :lol: I only needed to hear Chris play a few notes and I could tell instantly

Enjoyed looking at the gear, always fun to try out new stuff. Saw a few familiar faces and was good to catch up :lol:. Stu Hamm was very talented, but I'll be honest that I didn't enjoy it. Me and ped left before Victor Bailey though as our ears had been 'bassed out' :).

[quote name='daz' post='984035' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:12 AM']thats strange i got that too. But in my personal case it was because got the feeling i was actually been watched in case i stole something. Unfortunately im not joking like i was above. Very sad as it was one bass i really wanted to try (was also hoping for a Warwick and a Rickenbacker but a definate shortage of them too. ie not a one in sight, unless i missed something, and i went to every stand three times?)[/quote]

I'm quite surprised by that as the GB lot are usually more than accomodating at demonstrations and letting you play stuff. The only thing I can guess is that they are a bit nervous as all the basses on display are actually customer basses that have been loaned especially for the day. I know of an incident where one got scratched... and I guess they always have this in their mind.

Seriously, would you want to be the BCer that scratches bass_ferret's GBs...?

[quote name='Machines' post='984081' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:57 AM']Enjoyed looking at the gear, always fun to try out new stuff. Saw a few familiar faces and was good to catch up :lol:. Stu Hamm was very talented, but I'll be honest that I didn't enjoy it. Me and ped left before Victor Bailey though as our ears had been 'bassed out' :).[/quote]

Didn't enjoy Stuart Hamm or didn't enjoy Bass Day? Have to say, I thought that Bass Day was a lot more quiet this year - in terms of both volume and people. I am guessing a fair fee people were scared off by last year's assault on the senses. I wasn't going to go this year but was glad I did for Stuart Hamm alone. I was very impressed with Billy - his playing does absolutely nothing for me - but I thought he ran an exceptional clinic and was more than accomodating with meeting and greeting the public. A true gent.

Oh yeah, that Xotic really felt great, couldn't really hear it when I tried it out though due to the surrounding noice! It seems to have an exceptionally powerful EQ though - defo one to watch! The walnut Alleva certainly did it too - the maple skunkstrip was a fantastic touch I thought.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='984134' date='Oct 11 2010, 10:09 AM']The hi-fi slap sound has really done my ears in this year...just hearing a high frequency hiss.

So, earplugs if i'm going next year, foolishly thought my hat would be enough protection, but the GB stand easily defeated it. :)[/quote]

So you got beef with GB then? I hadn't noticed.

[quote name='Machines' post='984081' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:57 AM']Enjoyed looking at the gear, always fun to try out new stuff. Saw a few familiar faces and was good to catch up :lol:. Stu Hamm was very talented, but I'll be honest that I didn't enjoy it. Me and ped left before Victor Bailey though as our ears had been 'bassed out' :).[/quote]

I didn't go at all this year Matt, and I feel guilty because I like Gary and Stevie, and I feel like I should support the cause, and bass day is usually the only time I see most of you all face to face.

Don't why, I just didn't fancy it. I'm a Stu Hamm fan too, but I dunno, I took the kids to the park instead.

I think the trouble is, I can only listen to so much bass playing and I've just heard enough. Gearwise, there are rarely any bargains to be had, just lots of full price equipment I can't afford.

Maybe next year.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984140' date='Oct 11 2010, 10:15 AM']Didn't enjoy Stuart Hamm or didn't enjoy Bass Day?[/quote]
Stu Hamm as a set I suppose, the only part I found slight enjoyment in was when he did Country Music. I don't remember seeing you there, but then again I have no idea what you look like :).

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984140' date='Oct 11 2010, 10:15 AM']I'm quite surprised by that as the GB lot are usually more than accomodating at demonstrations and letting you play stuff. The only thing I can guess is that they are a bit nervous as all the basses on display are actually customer basses that have been loaned especially for the day. I know of an incident where one got scratched... and I guess they always have this in their mind.[/quote]
They have also been known to display customers basses without the customer's knowledge. My buddy had a build done by them some time back and it was taking forever, varying reasons why it wasn't finished yet, blah blah blah. I had seen it during its build so knew what it looked like. Imagine my surprise, and annoyance by proxy, when I saw it at that year's NEC Music Live.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984145' date='Oct 11 2010, 10:16 AM']So you got beef with GB then? I hadn't noticed.[/quote]

Didn't realise i was going on about it...i assume you're a fan/owner and my comment has upset you.

But yeah, it appears i have, which is a shame because i think both the Rumour and Spitfire are beautiful instruments to look at.

I'll explain it to you rather than leaving it at 'i've got a problem' and you disagreeing with me. I'm not trying to start anything, but if you understand why, then it won't be as insulting as 'i dislike something you like' - what i call 'it's sh*t' syndrome.

I've played both types of GB a couple of times at previous events, and never really got chance to try the bass as i was shown the kick drum thing (WHICH I HATE BTW), the battery indicator (Useful) and the other gizmos on the bass - i don't like the hard sell i've experienced; i'd probably put an order in if i had the chance to sit with the thing without being mithered, this year was the first time i've gone to bass day with money in the bank and an empty credit card to play with, so i wasn't in tyre kicker/time waster mode.

I hate being played to as well. I just find it weird, 'look at me, making this bass sound great' - It is one of the most uncomfortable sensations.

If this is just how things are done on that stand, then that's a pain in the arse, because i'd love either of the models Bernie makes.

It's very difficult to explain, but it's something about the way that the GB stand makes me feel that stops me buying an instrument from them. Obviously, other people enjoy it as he's always busy at the shows.

Again, not trying to offend you, GB/Bernie or other GB owners, it's all about personal preference and how different people expect their buying experience to be.

I'd hate to be a cock and walk onto HIS stand, try one of HIS basses and tell him to leave me alone...i'm pretty certain he'd tell me to piss off.

The answer should be 'don't buy one of his basses then Mr Travis, you numbnuts'. But i really like his designs, so that's a shame for both sides.

I'm sure i'll get over it, and to be fair i think Sterling Ball and Rich Hall are total bell wrappers and i've owned Stringrays and a Rickenbacker before...

Still the TC stand was loud too, amongst others. How are you meant to hear what and amp actually sounds like when you're 4 inches from the cab and it's on full tilt? Never understood it.

I've done every Bass Day UK (aprt from one) through work, and i think i need a couple of years off.

Edited by AndyTravis