Why become a member? ×

Sonic Blue!!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='923562' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:16 AM']Depends on the cost, but sounds to me like a top notch idea.

S.P.[/quote]

Well its £250 which i think its pretty reasonable for such a pro job!

Im also looking into have the head painted too! Just waitin for a reply from Roger Sadowsky with regards to the logo etc

I hope he'll let me do it :)

I have to say, I wouldn't do it. Maybe, maybe, just maybe it would have appeal if the RW neck was blocked and bound but I wouldn't touch the head piece, I never like this coloured, personally and I would prefer to show decent woods where possible.

I would, however, use this as an excuse to buy that sonic blue bass you are after.

Another thing, I assume you have seen the work from the painter..??
I would have thought that to do a better job that Sadowsky would cost a lot more than you are paying...??

I say this, as I recently went to spray shop and saw what level of work there were doing...and was VERY tempted when I saw the standard of the work, but the price included taken the original colour off and was closer to £400

If you're going to keep the bass and it's your main one do it.

I always regret that the best Precision I played when I was buying was sunburst. I like solid colours and sonic blue is one of the best. Matching headstocks are lovely too.

Edited by Low End Bee

Sonic blue has got to be the best colour EVER for a bass! I love gafbass02's jazz, my daphne blue jazz looks sonic blue in the right light sometimes.

In my eyes the best looking bass would be sonic blue with a maple neck with a plain white or a white pearloid scratchplate, oh and course it would have to be a jazz bass :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='923640' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:28 AM']If you're going to keep the bass and it's your main one do it.

I always regret that the best Precision I played when I was buying was sunburst. I like solid colours and sonic blue is one of the best. Matching headstocks are lovely too.[/quote]
I`ve just my main-player Precision refinished, from black with black scratchplate, RW neck, to white with black scratchplate, RW neck - very SidVish.

For some reason, although it was my main-player, whenever I was thinking abt getting a new bass, I`d think of using that one as a trade-in. I put up a swap post here on Basschat, and Burritobass remarked why don`t I get a refinish, if the bass was my main-player. And he was right, it was purely down to the colour scheme, nothing to do with playablity/sound etc. So went for it.

Got it back yesterday, couldn`t be happier. Was done by TJC Guitars in Stevenage - cost - a very nice £150. Finished in nitro-cellulose too, so will "age" with the bass - all good in my opinion.

Would def recommend it - its given me a new slant on my main bass.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='923611' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:58 AM']Oh go on then ;-) ..........

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85975&st=0#entry819916"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t=0#entry819916[/url][/quote]

enjoyed the history of your necks - so to speak - out of interest where did you source the current maple/block neck?

cheers

[quote name='Jigster' post='923662' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:47 AM']enjoyed the history of your necks - so to speak - out of interest where did you source the current maple/block neck?

cheers[/quote]

Thanks mate. It was basspartsresource I think.
Imho I'd go ahead and get the respray. Sonic blue is always popular :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='923654' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:37 AM']I`ve just my main-player Precision refinished, from black with black scratchplate, RW neck, to white with black scratchplate, RW neck - very SidVish.

For some reason, although it was my main-player, whenever I was thinking abt getting a new bass, I`d think of using that one as a trade-in. I put up a swap post here on Basschat, and Burritobass remarked why don`t I get a refinish, if the bass was my main-player. And he was right, it was purely down to the colour scheme, nothing to do with playablity/sound etc. So went for it.

Got it back yesterday, couldn`t be happier. Was done by TJC Guitars in Stevenage - cost - a very nice £150. Finished in nitro-cellulose too, so will "age" with the bass - all good in my opinion.

Would def recommend it - its given me a new slant on my main bass.[/quote]

Oooooh Nitro!! Now thats a good idea!! :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='923630' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:19 AM']If you're not worried about resale, sonic blue with matching headstock is a country mile more awesome than boring old sunburst. And you can alway see how lovely the headstock wood is from the back if you're all that bothered :)[/quote]

+1

Also, sunburst finish just make your bass look like it came from Argos... Totally standard and VERY boring!

[quote name='skej21' post='924393' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:12 PM']BEAUTIFUL! *Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool*[/quote]
Every time I see that photograph I go all wibbly inside - one of my favourite basses ever!

Chris, thanks for the comment on the Alleva - I really should try to get some better images (especially of the heastock)

Also, on the nitro, I love it (it's a nitro finish on the AC) but it's generally much softer than poly. Depending on perspective this is a good or bad thing. I think it ages beautifully but some don't. Sonic blue has a tendency to take on a greenish hue as the clearcoat matures. I also find that nitro on the neck is a bit 'sticky' (just needs a quick wipe in between tracks when playing live - not a big deal at all and some players don't bother)