Why become a member? ×

Stanley And Friends

AndyTravis

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=5jClzQJKfic&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=5jClzQ...feature=related[/url]

Basically Stanley and many famous others get up and jam 'School Days'.
They all take turns, which is cool, but some are more hit than miss.

Sorry if this has been posted before. But i'm wrting a review as i go.

[b]Stanley[/b]s own Intro Solo is a bit messy, he does some cool fairly typical stuff but doesn't really set the bar too high.

[b]Flea[/b] plays a blinder - i feel he got pushed aside, but he boxes clever and plays a tidy little bit. Some of the names here are real musos, and Flea is seen by some as a bit of a joker, i think he more than proves his point here.

[b]Armand Sabal Lecco [/b]plays some terrible un-musical slap nonsense, then does some weird 'told you so' thing with his bass - he's much better than this usually; a lot of players can do the fast rhythmic slap thing - he's better than this.

[b]Bunny Brunel [/b]is a harmonic fiend, how does he do that?! His fingerstyle is spot on too; Great Player.

[b]Alex Al[/b]. Not familiar with him, but starts really well - he's f***ing great, what a soulful guy. Great Slap, and tasty fingerstyle.

[b]Billy Sheehan [/b]- ace, his 'bumblebee' thing works for me, such an un-typical bass sound, and the bends/pulls on the neck, he really stands out.

[b]Stu Hamm[/b], a really nice nod to Stanley in his playing style. Nice Chordal work. Not a massive fan of his slap playing, too rubber band sounding for me. And the tapping stuff makes me feel a bit sick, but hey, it's his thing, so fair f***s to him.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=WYUHsyqR76Y&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=WYUHsy...feature=related[/url]

[b]Part 2[/b]

[b]Jimmy Johnson[/b], melodic fingerstyle on an Alembic, what a tasty sound. The low slides he does are fascinating, a great sound, and a great touch.

[b]Wayman Tisdale [/b]- First and foremost, this guy is physically huge!!! Obviously a talented guy, just find it strange that SC feels the need to help him along but not my mug of brew, unless he's reading.

[b]Brian Bomberg [/b]- Buy a f***ing guitar. Whatever that noise is, i do not care. (If he's meant to fill in for a guitarist, then, i'm sorry for this comment, but still, get a guitarist in.)

[b]Marcus Miller[/b]. Sounds like MM, over School Days, can't decide what i think of him at the moment. The Slap Duel thing with SC is sh*t noise. Did anyone see 'Billie Jean' by SMV? Great all the way through, then a shitload of 3 bassists slapping in 3 different styles. It's pretty offensive.

Anyhow, a great mix of styles.

Towards the end, it's a bloody mess.

But, a mate sent me the link, thinking as a bassist, i'd be interested.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='923402' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:29 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=A13mmk5Wzns&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=A13mmk...feature=related[/url]

for good measure[/quote]

Wow, Flea smoked Stanley Clarke on a P-Funk tune. I can hear the Basschat anoraks' brains exploding up and down the UK.

I hope I'm not the only one that got bored of the sound of far too many bass notes crammed into every bar. It just lost all musicality (after Flea as a matter of fact!) and turned into a "look what I can do"-fest. Sorry, I'd much rather listen to an isolated Jamerson bass track than this any day. I didn't get past Billy Sheehan.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='923395' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:16 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=5jClzQJKfic&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=5jClzQ...feature=related[/url]

Basically Stanley and many famous others get up and jam 'School Days'.
They all take turns, which is cool, but some are more hit than miss.

Sorry if this has been posted before. But i'm wrting a review as i go.

[b]Stanley[/b]s own Intro Solo is a bit messy, he does some cool fairly typical stuff but doesn't really set the bar too high.

[b]Flea[/b] plays a blinder - i feel he got pushed aside, but he boxes clever and plays a tidy little bit. Some of the names here are real musos, and Flea is seen by some as a bit of a joker, i think he more than proves his point here.

[b]Armand Sabal Lecco [/b]plays some terrible un-musical slap nonsense, then does some weird 'told you so' thing with his bass - he's much better than this usually; a lot of players can do the fast rhythmic slap thing - he's better than this.

[b]Bunny Brunel [/b]is a harmonic fiend, how does he do that?! His fingerstyle is spot on too; Great Player.

[b]Alex Al[/b]. Not familiar with him, but starts really well - he's f***ing great, what a soulful guy. Great Slap, and tasty fingerstyle.

[b]Billy Sheehan [/b]- ace, his 'bumblebee' thing works for me, such an un-typical bass sound, and the bends/pulls on the neck, he really stands out.

[b]Stu Hamm[/b], a really nice nod to Stanley in his playing style. Nice Chordal work. Not a massive fan of his slap playing, too rubber band sounding for me. And the tapping stuff makes me feel a bit sick, but hey, it's his thing, so fair f***s to him.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=WYUHsyqR76Y&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=WYUHsy...feature=related[/url]

[b]Part 2[/b]

[b]Jimmy Johnson[/b], melodic fingerstyle on an Alembic, what a tasty sound. The low slides he does are fascinating, a great sound, and a great touch.

[b]Wayman Tisdale [/b]- First and foremost, this guy is physically huge!!! Obviously a talented guy, just find it strange that SC feels the need to help him along but not my mug of brew, unless he's reading.

[b]Brian Bomberg [/b]- Buy a f***ing guitar. Whatever that noise is, i do not care. (If he's meant to fill in for a guitarist, then, i'm sorry for this comment, but still, get a guitarist in.)

[b]Marcus Miller[/b]. Sounds like MM, over School Days, can't decide what i think of him at the moment. The Slap Duel thing with SC is sh*t noise. Did anyone see 'Billie Jean' by SMV? Great all the way through, then a shitload of 3 bassists slapping in 3 different styles. It's pretty offensive.

Anyhow, a great mix of styles.

Towards the end, it's a bloody mess.

But, a mate sent me the link, thinking as a bassist, i'd be interested.[/quote]

Phew...! you took that all a bit seriously. :)

Imagine being the keys player on that gig, praying for a key change or even better - [b]THE CODA![/b].. :rolleyes:

Garry

It's taken from the Stanley Clarke 'Night School' DVD,which I think has it's moments,but the end jam isn't one of them. It seems to me' like they are all trying to keep up with each other technically and it becomes a mess. It's a shame as they are all great players.
Wayman Tisdale is s big guy,but then again he was one of the best power forwards in the NBA for years.Shame he died the other year :)
Bromberg's piccolo bass is a bit noisy on here,but check out his album 'Metal' where he uses it to great effect.

[quote name='molan' post='923887' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:57 PM']I really enjoyed the whole thing, maybe I'm just a saddo bass nut though :)

I thought it was really interesting to watch different players with massively different technique & core tone interpreting the same part.[/quote]

I'm with you Molan I enjoyed that (and I admit to being a saddo bass nut) it was interesting listening to the different styles with their own takes on soloing over school days.

I'm a big fan of Stanley and Marcus but I have to say I thought Flea was great and I really loved what Alex Al and particularily what Bunny Brunel played.

And boy Wayman Tisdale's a giant of a man !

Terrible, really terrible, I'd rather watch the Pistols live in '77, at least there was energy and emotion....

OK, if I have to be objective, Flea's by far the best man on the stage. I took a lot of abuse on here (or BW) when I rated him as one of the bass greats three years back, but I stand by it, in that clip he does what he needs to, not showing off, just playing what works. BB's OK also in that he's at least musical as opposed to technical.

Too much fat and money, and way way way too many basses on that stage for my liking

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='923395' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:16 AM'][b]Flea[/b] plays a blinder - i feel he got pushed aside, but he boxes clever and plays a tidy little bit. Some of the names here are real musos, and Flea is seen by some as a bit of a joker, i think he more than proves his point here.[/quote]
[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='923443' date='Aug 13 2010, 04:53 AM']Wow, Flea smoked Stanley Clarke on a P-Funk tune. I can hear the Basschat anoraks' brains exploding up and down the UK.[/quote]

Correct Andy, by the 'Musos', Flea is seen as a joke. Why? Well because he's commercial and successful in a mass market way. But not only did he play the best groove, he's probably the only bassist there who anyone under 40 would recognise. Interestingly he tries to keep a low profile all the same (perhaps he didn't want to be there)?

This was like the Four Tenors of bass without the material :)

Rant over

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='924424' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:46 PM']Terrible, really terrible, I'd rather watch the Pistols live in '77, at least there was energy and emotion....

OK, if I have to be objective, Flea's by far the best man on the stage. I took a lot of abuse on here (or BW) when I rated him as one of the bass great three years back, I stand by it, in that clip he does what he needs to, not showing off, just playing what works. BB's OK also in that he's at least musical as opposed to technical.

Too much fat and money, and way way way too many basses on that stage for my liking

C[/quote]

I agree!
I can't believe how BAD (not the good kind of bad either) Billy Sheenan really is. Why does he think that bass players (renowned for loving subtle, sensitive and groovesome lines) would enjoy watching him poorly emulate Steve Vai's egocentric masturbatory guitar style but with only 4 strings?
The man is simply a disgrace, to Stanley Clarke, bass playing and general musicianship! He should be shunned by all!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='924435' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:09 PM']I agree!
I can't believe how BAD (not the good kind of bad either) Billy Sheenan really is. Why does he think that bass players (renowned for loving subtle, sensitive and groovesome lines) would enjoy watching him poorly emulate Steve Vai's egocentric masturbatory guitar style but with only 4 strings?
The man is simply a disgrace, to Stanley Clarke, bass playing and general musicianship! He should be shunned by all![/quote]

Well I tried to stay positive by pointing out the good playing in the clip but +10000 to you mate, his initials are BS, says it all really :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='924446' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:21 PM']Well I tried to stay positive by pointing out the good playing in the clip but +10000 to you mate, his initials are BS, says it all really :)[/quote]

I'm just being honest. I'm just really not a fan :rolleyes: (I also think it's disgraceful to play a Stanley Clarke gig and show NO respect. BS just acted as if it was another BS worship opportunity and showed no sensitivity, personally or musically to the ACTUAL gig he was supposed to be playing. That, to me, is just the sign of a poor musician.)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Beedster' post='924446' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:21 PM']Well I tried to stay positive by pointing out the good playing in the clip but +10000 to you mate, [b]his initials are BS, says it all really [/b]:rolleyes:[/quote]

Gave me a chuckle :lol:

I actually used to like ol 'BS, then I found out that he's a cultist :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='924430' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:00 PM']Correct Andy, by the 'Musos', Flea is seen as a joke. Why? Well because he's commercial and successful in a mass market way. But not only did he play the best groove, he's probably the only bassist there who anyone under 40 would recognise. Interestingly he tries to keep a low profile all the same (perhaps he didn't want to be there)?[/quote]

Is Flea seen as a joke? I don't think so. Sure,he doesn't particularly blow me away,but I don't know anyone who thinks
that he's a joke.

Also,I'm under 40(actually under 30) and I know every player on the stage.