Why become a member? ×

Stack 'vs' Combo

witterth

Well, I was wondering......

I played at a wedding in a marquee this weekend, and due to space/uneven floor/time (I ended up having to sort out generator and power for DJ,band, cateres,bar,lights) but thats BTW....

So, I ended up just using a TE 1x15 cab and smx 250w head instead of the usual stack.for this one

Now, ok, I could hear myself and was loud enough for band and punters alike, but I didn't think there was enough "balls" to it (well nowhere,near) that,obviously, a stack can deliver when need, if you see what I mean (?)

but then again every time I shift a stack I'm Knackkerd!

I was wondering (and again, apologise if this is old ground)but is there such a thing as a combo that can deliver stack like performance?or is it simply

"ye canna change the laws o' Physics Captain"

any thoughts?

I run a mini 12" stack, ie 2x1x12 cabs and it will work in marquees, for sure.

Nice and compact to carry which is not a problem carrying 3 items to and from the car.

If you had a 300w combo and an extn cab, you get into the same sort of hassle and I'd wager the combo would be the heaviest piece of kit.

This is why mini stacks are so popular IMV. easy carry and 500watts from 3 pieces of decent kit, plus it cuts down stage space.
If you run a 5 piece with a decent bank of keyboards..you need a decent playing area

[quote name='JTUK' post='919360' date='Aug 9 2010, 10:32 AM']I run a mini 12" stack, ie 2x1x12 cabs and it will work in marquees, for sure.

Nice and compact to carry which is not a problem carrying 3 items to and from the car.[/quote]
Yup, same here. Shuttle 6.0 and two Aguilar 1x12s, one with a tweeter - 600Watts into 4 ohms and no back strain! :)

For me it's a stack every time.

Depending on the situation you can gig with one, two or even three cabs, you can use a small amp or a large amp, your gear will be lighter and easier to transport and hump, you can upgrade with ease and if one part of your system fails you don't loose any other part. All plus points for me.

Another recent convert to the world of modular 'small stacks' here.

I have been through smaller combos with extension cabs, big combos on their own, and big stack stacks and can honestly say my back and gigging life in general has got better since I ditched big amps and 4x10 and 1x15 rigs. Combos can also weigh a huge ammount like my short experience an SWR Black Beauty showed me.

Running an Eden WTX head and two Aguilar GS112 Cabs at the moment. The cabs are a one hand lift and with a lightweight head your laughing. I can do bass, gig bag with head, and one cab in a single trip. Planning on using one cab for practices and two for gigs and I can fit the lot in a small Ford KA it turns out. Its the future!

All of the above from NJE, except with my Schroeder 1515L, it's a single 40lb cab which, with a LMIII, will go stupidly loud - 500w into 4 ohms. It'll certainly swamp our drummer, who don't half hit 'em when he's in the mood.

It's been a revelation, coming from biiiig old stacks in the past.

So the answer from where I'm standing is a stack (but one smaller than most combos), and stuff the laws of physics... :)

When i bought my new rig i went for 2 x 410's and the biggest baddest head. I use the the lot for the originals gig where it all needs to look mega rock and roll, but on the covers stuff its just one 4x10 everytime.

As its makbass too, and i'm a pretty big guy, i can do the markbass cab in one hand, head in gigsskinz back on my shoulder, and bass in the other hand

I'm more than happy to use a good combo before a half/full stack. If the 300 watt TE 4x10 combos weren't so damn heavy I'd probably use nothing else. My only gripe is with 1x15 combos but thats a matter of personal choice, I prefer the sound of 10's. The SWR Redhead is also a great bit of kit, never should have sold 'ol Bonnie :)

[quote name='Rich' post='920281' date='Aug 10 2010, 07:42 AM']I think this one might have enough oomph for large gigs. Although at 200lbs, weight is a bijou bit of an issue.

[/quote]
Thats a stack without any of the advantages Chris_b, describes!! :)

BTW that is the the way I was thinking Chris_b, the only thing that disagrees,is me Back!!
but even the individual bits of a Trace Elliot rig are all bloody heavy!!

still, no answer, in a way, starting to think there isnt one :rolleyes:

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='920286' date='Aug 10 2010, 07:57 AM']....BTW that is the the way I was thinking Chris_b, the only thing that disagrees,is me Back!!
but even the individual bits of a Trace Elliot rig are all bloody heavy!![/quote]
I agree. I had to go neo because my Mesa Boogie cabs put me in bed with a strained back twice in 2 years. I then decided to get rid of the neo 410's because of the weight and now I use either a 2 210 stack or a 2 112 stack. I can get lighter with Alex's Compact but I'm practically at the end of the line on cab weight!

A trolley is the next step! I've also found that in "older" bands people are more reluctant to help you carry your gear!

[quote name='chris_b' post='920410' date='Aug 10 2010, 10:27 AM']I agree. I had to go neo because my Mesa Boogie cabs put me in bed with a strained back twice in 2 years. I then decided to get rid of the neo 410's because of the weight and now I use either a 2 210 stack or a 2 112 stack. I can get lighter with Alex's Compact but I'm practically at the end of the line on cab weight!

A trolley is the next step! I've also found that in "older" bands people are more reluctant to help you carry your gear![/quote]
Stacks for me. The only combo I`ve ever used that was ok in a small venue was my Marshall MB4210. Others I`ve tried had the volume, but not the depth of sound required.

[quote name='Lozz196' date='Aug 10 2010, 10:34 AM' post='920416']
Stacks for me. The only combo I`ve ever used that was ok in a small venue was my Marshall MB4210. Others I`ve tried had the volume, but not the depth of sound required.
[/quote/]
You hit the nail on the head there lozz,
its not volume, its "Depth" and untill youve tried a stack its hard to explain volume over "Depth" isnt it?
there are loads of LOUD combos but...
as Ive said, is it a "law of physics" thing?
I hope not.

After many combos and many more stacks, I have to say I do prefer the stack set-up.
In terms of combos, I loved the Fender Rumble 100 I had-buckets of headroom and plenty loud down the back!
I also had a Trace Elliot GP11 8x10 combo- pain in the backside, but excellent sounding.

But nothing beats An Ampeg or Marshall stack-they just move so much more air. The bass should be felt aswell as heard!
I just prefer the overall sound of 10´s and 12´s.
Even my practise/small gig amp is a stack now! (Micro VR) :rolleyes:
Like Mani says of the VBA400, it´s trouser-flappin´! :)

[quote name='Rich' post='919780' date='Aug 9 2010, 04:28 PM']Yay for small stacks. Shuttle 6.0, two Nemesis 1x15s, total rig weight just over 70lbs. The only thing stopping me from carrying the whole lot in one go is the lack of a third arm :)[/quote]

Same again-Shuttle 6.0 and two 'Ashdown' Neo 1 X 12's. Put the Shuttle in a laptop bag and carrying the whole rig at once is a practical proposition! One cab for rehearsals, both for gigs. I'm stuffed if I'm carrying any more combos up and down stairs and the like.

[quote name='basshead56' post='920459' date='Aug 10 2010, 11:06 AM']After many combos and many more stacks, I have to say I do prefer the stack set-up.
In terms of combos, I loved the Fender Rumble 100 I had-buckets of headroom and plenty loud down the back!
I also had a Trace Elliot GP11 8x10 combo- pain in the backside, but excellent sounding.

But nothing beats An Ampeg or Marshall stack-they just move so much more air. The bass should be felt aswell as heard!
I just prefer the overall sound of 10´s and 12´s.
Even my practise/small gig amp is a stack now! (Micro VR) :rolleyes:
Like Mani says of the VBA400, it´s trouser-flappin´! :)[/quote]
A Trace Elliot 8x10 isn't a really a "combo" is it!?
well what we think of as one, its a "stuck together" stack is that rascal!

Edited by witterth