Why become a member? ×

Thinking of going wireless.

PauBass

I'm considering of going wireless and I'm looking at different options but I'm a bit confisued with the licensing/frequencies thing.

Are digital units like the Line6 G30 also affected by this?

Which units would you recommend?

What are the differences between the Line 6 Relay series and the X2?

I'm no expert, so take this with a pinch of salt.

Line 6 G30 is not affected by the licensing thing.

I recommend the Line 6 Relay series, personally.

I understand that the X2 used frequencies only legal in the US, whereas the Relay series uses frequencies legal worldwide. I also understand that the Relay is the successor to the X2, so there may be other improvements. I have the G30 and you can use a normal lead from bass to transmitter - ie it takes a quarter inch plug, rather than some funny fiddly thingie.

The x2 is fabulous, really good quality signal
You can pick up an x2 used or from the states cheaper than a relay, but the relay is legal if that is an issue

Personally, I find the transmitter that you have to put in your pocket or a strap a bind, and I prefer the samson bug, although I dont think the quality is as good

Hello PauBass,

The Line6 website says they operate at 2.4 GHz which is license exempt so just be mindful that the 2.4GHz frequency range is also used by bluetooth devices, amongst a whole host of other devices, so there is a lot of potential for interference and problems with the equipment.

I think the moral is - When using wireless gear keep an istrument cable or 2 in your gig bag just incase!

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='PauBass' post='901573' date='Jul 22 2010, 07:59 AM']I'm considering of going wireless and I'm looking at different options but I'm a bit confisued with the licensing/frequencies thing.

Are digital units like the Line6 G30 also affected by this?

Which units would you recommend?

What are the differences between the Line 6 Relay series and the X2?[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fella, I've been using the Line 6 Relay since xmas and it's ace. If I could afford another one I would buy it and have it go from pedalboard to amp, and I'm not even kidding!! I've never encountered any interference from it, and the latency only gets noticeable when you are properly far away (I'm talking outside the venue), I would recommend it. If some crafty sod stole mine I would buy another immediately. If I'd have known about them before I ordered my Shuker I honestly would have had Jon incorporate one into the bass.

Our guitarist uses the G30, and he loves it, I did some digging and found this [url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/misc-guitar-accessories/pid16871/cid590/brace-dwg1000-digital-guitar-wireless-system.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/misc-guitar-acc...less-system.asp[/url] looks like a fair price for a very similar bit of kit. Also done some digging for reviews etc, and got the thumbs up, will be my next purchase!

[quote name='bumnote' post='901625' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:16 AM']The x2 is fabulous, really good quality signal
You can pick up an x2 used or from the states cheaper than a relay, but the relay is legal if that is an issue

Personally, I find the transmitter that you have to put in your pocket or a strap a bind, and I prefer the samson bug, although I dont think the quality is as good[/quote]

Take a look at the [url="http://www.stageclix.com/"]StageClix system[/url] then.

Not cheap, though.

With regard to the licensing/frequencies thingy... how is this likely to affect the older VHF units? My old AKG SR100 -- picked up for peanuts off fleaBay, and absolutely brilliant -- is trundling along nicely on 175.0MHz, but what's going to happen?

In the end I went for the Line6 G30 and I have to say it's great! No sound difference between my leads and this wireless unit.
I highly recommend it, you won't be dissapointed.

It's great to have the freedom to move around and not to worry about stepping on your cable, something I'm really good at :)

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='PauBass' post='914155' date='Aug 3 2010, 06:58 PM']In the end I went for the Line6 G30 and I have to say it's great! No sound difference between my leads and this wireless unit.
I highly recommend it, you won't be dissapointed.

It's great to have the freedom to move around and not to worry about stepping on your cable, something I'm really good at :rolleyes:[/quote]

Can I ask where you got it from? I'm almost certain to be picking one of these up. :)

[quote name='Tinman' post='915573' date='Aug 5 2010, 07:44 AM']Can I ask where you got it from? I'm almost certain to be picking one of these up. :)[/quote]

Sure, I got it from GAK. I managed to persuaded them at the shop to match the website price.

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=line+6relay&x=0&y=0&m=Brands&c=Products&r=Price+Range"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products....p;r=Price+Range[/url]

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='jonthebass' post='901636' date='Jul 22 2010, 09:30 AM']The Line6 website says they operate at 2.4 GHz which is license exempt so just be mindful that the 2.4GHz frequency range is also used by bluetooth devices, amongst a whole host of other devices, so there is a lot of potential for interference and problems with the equipment.[/quote]

There shouldn't be any interference from other devices, as the receiver can only pick up signals from the transmitter it's locked to.

You don't get Bluetooth interference in a room full of Bluetooth devices do you? Same principle applies.

A

Hey Rich,

The VHF frequency you're on (175.0 MHz) is in the License Exempt band and AFAIK that's not earmarked to be changed.

Regards,
Jon

[quote name='Rich' post='913654' date='Aug 3 2010, 11:05 AM']With regard to the licensing/frequencies thingy... how is this likely to affect the older VHF units? My old AKG SR100 -- picked up for peanuts off fleaBay, and absolutely brilliant -- is trundling along nicely on 175.0MHz, but what's going to happen?[/quote]

[quote name='Alien' post='915770' date='Aug 5 2010, 11:50 AM']There shouldn't be any interference from other devices, as [b]the receiver can only pick up signals from the transmitter it's locked to[/b].

You don't get Bluetooth interference in a room full of Bluetooth devices do you? Same principle applies.

A[/quote]

Not true unless you are talking about the Line6 specifically and it does this. If so then ignore my post.

At last Sats gig we had the DJ's mic coming through our singers guitar amp as both were transmitting on the same freq. In the past ive also had my bass being picked up by the video crew's radio system.

This is one reason i use a multi freq AKG system now. Its only been a handful of gigs that we have had any trouble as we dont normally play with out bands/DJs but you can certainly pick up other devices transmitting on the same freq.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='PauBass' post='915798' date='Aug 5 2010, 01:07 PM']For those who use the Line6 Relay, which cable are you using? If different from the one that comes with the unit of course.[/quote]

Just a standard long patch cable. It's about 2' long, so I can wrap it around my strap (as one would do with a normal cable) and fit the transmitter on my belt AND have a bit of cable free, so I can move about without restraint.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='915786' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:01 PM']Not true unless you are talking about the Line6 specifically and it does this. If so then ignore my post.

At last Sats gig we had the DJ's mic coming through our singers guitar amp as both were transmitting on the same freq. In the past ive also had my bass being picked up by the video crew's radio system.

This is one reason i use a multi freq AKG system now. Its only been a handful of gigs that we have had any trouble as we dont normally play with out bands/DJs but you can certainly pick up other devices transmitting on the same freq.[/quote]

This sort of interference was common with analogue systems, however the Line 6 uses A/D and D/A conversion, and transmits the data digitally in a fashion not dissimilar to a mobile phone, although much higher quality. The "channels" on the Line 6 unit aren't real channels, in the sense that they don't change the broadcast frequency, what the "channel" switch changes is simply the address of the data, as only receivers tuned to that data address will decode the broadcasted signal.

[quote name='PauBass' post='915798' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:07 PM']For those who use the Line6 Relay, which cable are you using? If different from the one that comes with the unit of course.[/quote]
Is it the locking 1/8" socket? I haven't even unpacked the lead that came with my X2, I got OBBM to make one up for me and it's perfect :) Think it's about a foot long, and goes to the wireless transmitter sitting in a pouch on my strap.

[quote name='escholl' post='917325' date='Aug 6 2010, 07:30 PM']This sort of interference was common with analogue systems, however the Line 6 uses A/D and D/A conversion, and transmits the data digitally in a fashion not dissimilar to a mobile phone, although much higher quality. The "channels" on the Line 6 unit aren't real channels, in the sense that they don't change the broadcast frequency, what the "channel" switch changes is simply the address of the data, as only receivers tuned to that data address will decode the broadcasted signal.[/quote]

Ah right. I thought maybe it was different to the ones I use.

I'm using the Line 6 G50 which is absolutely bloody marvellous imho.

I love the cable simulation too, as I found the raw sound too hifi for my liking, which is probably the result of playing through cables for err thirty odd years :)