Why become a member? ×

Strings

Pete Academy

Heard about DR's on here and bought some Hi-Beams............. the difference from the Rotosounds I was using is stunning, I can actually hear every note through the band. Everything else is the same so it has to be the strings!

I currently am experimenting with different types of strings after a long period with DR. I am only doing this as the basses came with a few different strings as freebies anyway, so I thought I'd try them.

I far prefer strings tapered over the bridge so this is my first criteria... as long as the strings speak well and are alive, then I am happy.
My current sets really bites well in live set-ups.
I couldn't be happier with the sounds from both basses. In a word, AWESOME, IMV.

Absolutely right Pete. I've used EB Slinkys for years, and the odd set of DRs on a couple of other basses too. Recently when buying a new set PMT had no Slinkys left, so I went for a set of Rotos Swing 66. I stuck them on the L2000, and hated them instantly. Couldn't put my finger on what the problem was, they just sounded and felt poor. I stuck a new set of Slinys on at the soonest possible juncture, and hey presto, the bass was fab again.

Finally some one else who doesn't get on with DRs. I've tried several different varieties on different basses and never really found the feel or tone I wanted, when compared to other strings.

Just goes to prove that there is no definitive string choice. Only the one that's right for your playing style on a particular bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897948' date='Jul 18 2010, 12:00 PM']Just goes to prove that there is no definitive string choice. Only the one that's right for your playing style on a particular bass.[/quote]

On each of my guitars, I've been through at least 5 brands on string (9 on one of them) before I found one that suited each guitar.

So far, I've only had D'Adario's on my bass, but tis early days yet.

I used Rotosounds for years, and I wouldnt try anything else purely as the tone was 'pretty good' and they were mid priced. I really dont like cheap strings, and before I came on this site I didnt know that much about the higher end strings.

Now Ive moved on from Rotos, I definitely do not miss them. Ernie Ball strings are very good, and DRs are exceptional. When it comes to flats, TI's seem to work brilliantly.

One thing I am shocked with is how much Ive moved on from bright pingy strings all the way down to thumpy flats. I still like fairly grindy string, but I appreciate flats and nickel strings a lot more now.

The stock strings that came on my Fenders are much nicer than I thought they would be, althought the Es are huge (.110).

[quote name='BigRedX' post='898015' date='Jul 18 2010, 01:15 PM']Rotosound Bass Strings are like Fender Bass Guitars. Superior when there wasn't much competition, but technology has moved on since the 60s and they haven't really kept up.[/quote]

Can open, worms everywhere. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='898015' date='Jul 18 2010, 01:15 PM']Rotosound Bass Strings are like Fender Bass Guitars. Superior when there wasn't much competition, but technology has moved on since the 60s and they haven't really kept up.[/quote]
Yes, technology has moved on and there's no need for strings at all, just get a synth.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='898025' date='Jul 18 2010, 01:26 PM']Can open, worms everywhere. :)[/quote]
I was thinking more of an industrial-sized skip...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='898032' date='Jul 18 2010, 01:30 PM']Yes, technology has moved on and there's no need for strings at all, just get a synth.[/quote]
The bass guitar isn't the only method of getting low notes. Something other than a plucked string supported by a couple of pieces of wood isn't always the most appropriate sound.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='898054' date='Jul 18 2010, 01:59 PM']The bass guitar isn't the only method of getting low notes. Something other than a plucked string supported by a couple of pieces of wood isn't always the most appropriate sound.[/quote]
Yes, sometimes you just can't beat a tuba or even a double bass.

Edited by EssentialTension

Im a cheapskate and use Elites which appear alot better than Roto's for not much more money, £30 for 2 sets from Mark at Bass Direct.I only change them once a year anyway!!! :) A year old set of Elites still have more twang left than a week old set of old Roto's to my ears,Are there any lovers of Rotosounds out there?