Why become a member? ×

les paul bass

Can folk have a look at this. i dont know if the fella is a basschatter or not but I need to know if this appears a good deal.

im meeting up with the fella to buy it. just thought i would ask you guys too

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/london/67/61339067.html"]http://www.gumtree.com/london/67/61339067.html[/url]

cheers
Steven

Edited by munkonthehill

looks nice.
I am not really a fan of Les Pauls (6 or 4 string), but that looks kinda cool. I don´t know what they fetch second hand but I have seen them go from 550-800 in the past, so perhaps 750 is quite good?
If thats the guy I´m thinking of, he sold a Marshall VBC810 on ebay recently, pity as I was interested in that :)
If you get to have a proper look and test it out, I´m sure you´ll know yourself if it´s a good deal.

If it sounds anything like my 72' Les Paul it will be very nice indeed, thumping low end and these things are very pretty to look at! £750 sounds a good deal in my book considering what they go for on eBay (about the same, perhaps more)

[quote name='Stag' post='885015' date='Jul 3 2010, 07:27 PM']If it sounds anything like my 72' Les Paul it will be very nice indeed, thumping low end and these things are very pretty to look at! £750 sounds a good deal in my book considering what they go for on eBay (about the same, perhaps more)[/quote]
Yeah, back in 2006 I paid £675 for one 2nd hand - so with the way things have gone up over last few yrs, thats not bad at all.

Was a very rich sounding bass, and incredibly easy to play. Only got rid cos I ended up playing gtr in a band, and needed a new gtr for the role.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='888839' date='Jul 7 2010, 07:19 PM']They are amazing sounding things.

Sound similar to a Thunderbird, the TB Ceramic pickups are great.

Thing is, they don't sound overly 'bassy'. Lots of midrange going on, think Rickenbacker honk.

Very cool.[/quote]

just out of interest, are rickenbackers not too bassy then???? I aspire to own one. However I think i mainly want one because I like the idea of owning one though!

So what would I expect if i got a rickenbacker??

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='888925' date='Jul 7 2010, 08:53 PM']just out of interest, are rickenbackers not too bassy then???? I aspire to own one. However I think i mainly want one because I like the idea of owning one though![/quote]
Try before you buy!
A Rickenbacker 4001 was always my dream bass........until I got one.
I still think they look awesome but I just cannot get on with them at all.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='888925' date='Jul 7 2010, 08:53 PM']just out of interest, are rickenbackers not too bassy then???? I aspire to own one. However I think i mainly want one because I like the idea of owning one though!

So what would I expect if i got a rickenbacker??[/quote]

You can get a very bassy sound out of a Ric if you mainly use the neck pickup. I've only ever played one
once for a recording,and it was really deep sounding,very unlike the 'classic' Ric tone.
Having said that it was all neck pickup soloed,tone rolled off,flatwound strung,tuned BEAD with the bridge mutes
on,and played with a pick!!!
It wasn't a pleasurable experience,but it was certainly bassy.

[quote name='Doddy' post='888943' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:11 PM']You can get a very bassy sound out of a Ric if you mainly use the neck pickup. I've only ever played one
once for a recording,and it was really deep sounding,very unlike the 'classic' Ric tone.
Having said that it was all neck pickup soloed,tone rolled off,flatwound strung,tuned BEAD with the bridge mutes
on,and played with a pick!!!
It wasn't a pleasurable experience,but it was certainly bassy.[/quote]

oh no,,,,my illusions are crushed hahaha

I dont really have anything to swap a ricki for anyway but I reckon I would def have to try one before I consider this now..

I think its just that iconic look that makes me want one, Jack Lawrence and Lemmy have a lot to answer to!

As with most basses, you need to try a few yourself to find out how you interact with them. For instance I get on great with most Rics and don't get on very well with most Fenders; many find the opposite is the case. Bear in mind individual instruments differ too; I've played some Rics I really haven't liked at all, but my favourite of all the basses I've ever played is my '72 4001.

I've just bought a new Rickenbacker 4003 without ever playing one; it's got a great tonal range (the treble/top end mid shift achieved by pulling out the treble tone control is lovely!) and the neck is a little thicker than my Fenders, which is great as my fingers are a bit long for the neck on my Jazz. It's bitey and punchy, which is just what I was after.

Hopefully going to gig it next week.

[quote name='4000' post='889039' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:21 PM']As with most basses, you need to try a few yourself to find out how you interact with them. For instance I get on great with most Rics and don't get on very well with most Fenders; many find the opposite is the case. Bear in mind individual instruments differ too; I've played some Rics I really haven't liked at all, but my favourite of all the basses I've ever played is my '72 4001.[/quote]

Same for me. I feel instantly at home with my '82 4001, but not so totally at home with a P or a J... mebbe cos ive been playing the same bass for 10 years...?

Would advise you play one first though a few times as they can be a bit "Marmite" as previously mentioned.

(on a second note, how odd that I own both kinds of bass being discussed in the same thread? dont think thats ever happened before!)

munk : a rather cheese-tastic picture can be seen at

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=42555"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=42555[/url]

of both weapons :-)

(i must remove that picture soon)

[quote name='Stag' post='889816' date='Jul 8 2010, 08:13 PM']munk : a rather cheese-tastic picture can be seen at

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=42555"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=42555[/url]

of both weapons :-)

(i must remove that picture soon)[/quote]

hahaha stag, all thats missing is a medallion......never delete that pic :)

wicked looking gear though matey. you have me jealous now

[quote name='RhysP' post='888936' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:05 PM']Try before you buy!
A Rickenbacker 4001 was always my dream bass........until I got one.
I still think they look awesome but I just cannot get on with them at all.[/quote]

Same with me regarding the Gibson Thunderbird. Loved the look and sound of them until I got one. Not nice basses to play at all.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='893572' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:41 AM']Same with me regarding the Gibson Thunderbird. Loved the look and sound of them until I got one. Not nice basses to play at all.[/quote]

Yeah i don't think I will get a riki until I try one.

Anyone out there fancy doing a short term swap of my stingray( or either fender of course) for their rik??? Say about 2-4 weeks????

I owned a 4003 for a while and chopped it in for an old Precision. I loved the look of the Ric and it played ok but it just didnt have any balls. I had both pups rewound by Wizard which gave it a bit more but in the end it still fell short.

But if I was loaded I'd have another!