Why become a member? ×

Metallica's Trujillo Rescues Jaco Pastorius' Bass of Doom

Grand Wazoo

Is this the one that Kaufman refinished?

Re the defretting: Pastorius was known to exaggerate or to give false info from time to time but in Bill Milkowski's book, Charlie Brent from the C.C. Riders testifies to seeing Jaco rip the frets out of his Jazz bass.

I seem to recall there was another Jazz that he borrowed off someone and didn't return.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='882949' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:22 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93250"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93250[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89752"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89752[/url][/quote]

Jeez, what a carry-on that was! I've had my fill of the BOD now and am off to tickle the box. Xbox, that is!!

i keep on wondering how long it will take the Fender Custom shop to do a version of the kaufman repaired bass as a 'tribute' model.
Let's face it, if they did a mexi version, based on the classic 60's Jazz, it'd probably shift; i'd have one.
Also wondering if a Roadworn bass of doom (pre repair) tribute is on the cards, as they've already done the Joe Strummer tele, and are about to do a John Mayer strat.

Hmm...

I felt a bit odd when i saw RT playing the bass in that photo too.
It just doesn't look right, and cheapens his gesture in my mind...
But, he is a very valid, talented and qualified player.
Still a Newsted boy myself.

And Jaco can be misenterpreted (as a lot of Jazz can be) as 'just noodling', but by the same measure Punk can be misinterpreted as 'twatting about with no talent'...
I like both in equal measure, no misinterpretation here!

Smiley face, winky face etc.

[quote name='EddieG' post='883114' date='Jul 1 2010, 04:00 PM']Admirable what Trujillo did, but this?...

Hang your head in shame, Robert!![/quote]

I think he should get the chance to enjoy it, its his gesture that got it back.

Doesnt matter that a thrasher is playing a Jazz instrument. Jaco would probably think its pretty cool! Rob has got serious chops.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='883122' date='Jul 1 2010, 08:07 AM']I have an 80's interview with Jaco where he says he actually pulled them out with a butter knife. I'll scan it later. Also gives details on how he would eq. Works, too. :)[/quote]
A quick googling brings this alternate version of the tale...

"How the frets actually came to be removed is not as clear however, with Jaco himself giving varying accounts. Although he generally claimed that he removed the frets himself with a butter knife, he gave a different and more detailed version of the bass's evolution to writer Bill Milkowski in 1984 for Guitar Player magazine. "When I got the bass," explained Jaco, "the cat who had it had taken the frets out himself, and he did a really bad job of it-- left all kinds of nicks and chunks taken out of the fretboard. So I really had to fix it up. I filled in the chunks with Plastic Wood." He told Milkowski that he used Petite's Poly-Poxy, a boat epoxy, on the fretboard. "You can find it in any boating supply store in Florida," remarked Jaco. "I used about six coats on my fretless, and it took about a day for each coat to dry.""

[url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-234.html"]http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-234.html[/url]

Jaco was a great player at times but he was also a junkie with a damaged ego. He was well known for being quite liberal with reality when talking about himself.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='883535' date='Jul 1 2010, 11:18 PM']A quick googling brings this alternate version of the tale...

"How the frets actually came to be removed is not as clear however, with Jaco himself giving varying accounts. Although he generally claimed that he removed the frets himself with a butter knife, he gave a different and more detailed version of the bass's evolution to writer Bill Milkowski in 1984 for Guitar Player magazine. "When I got the bass," explained Jaco, "the cat who had it had taken the frets out himself, and he did a really bad job of it-- left all kinds of nicks and chunks taken out of the fretboard. So I really had to fix it up. I filled in the chunks with Plastic Wood." He told Milkowski that he used Petite's Poly-Poxy, a boat epoxy, on the fretboard. "You can find it in any boating supply store in Florida," remarked Jaco. "I used about six coats on my fretless, and it took about a day for each coat to dry.""

[url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-234.html"]http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-234.html[/url]

Jaco was a great player at times but he was also a junkie with a damaged ego. He was well known for being quite liberal with reality when talking about himself.[/quote]

I've heard that as well. But then that makes out Charlie Brent to be a fibber, which I doubt. But the Milkowski book mentions another, contemporary Jazz bass. So which one is the BOD?

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='henry norton' post='883259' date='Jul 1 2010, 06:25 PM']Naaah, Cliff Burton[/quote]
OT but I just got my Cliff-alike '88 stealth-black Alembic Spoiler this week! Woo hoo!!!!!

Cliff:
[attachment=53359:cliffspoiler1.jpg]

My new Spoiler:
[attachment=53358:alembic02.jpg]

[quote name='Stacker' post='883656' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:47 AM']I've heard that as well. But then that makes out Charlie Brent to be a fibber, which I doubt.[/quote]
It's funny both stories come from Milkowski. Charlie could be misquoted or maybe Jaco at first said someone else did it because he wasn't pleased with his work. He's definitely become bigger than life and that will allow stories to grow.

A few weeks ago the story was that he had helped the Pastorius family get the bass back, now it seems he owns it but will sell it to them at the price he paid for it?

This is the guy who had no problem shafting Bob Daisley, I suppose. Anything's possible.

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Doctor J' post='883742' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:17 AM']A few weeks ago the story was that he had helped the Pastorius family get the bass back, now it seems he owns it but will sell it to them at the price he paid for it?

This is the guy who had no problem shafting Bob Daisley, I suppose. Anything's possible.[/quote]

Intrigued. What did he do??

[quote name='Doctor J' post='883742' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:17 AM']A few weeks ago the story was that he had helped the Pastorius family get the bass back, now it seems he owns it but will sell it to them at the price he paid for it?[/quote]

It does seem a bit strange, I wonder why it took a while for that fact to come out?

Ok so it's still good that if the Pastorius family want the bass at any time they can get it but I don't see that much has changed here for them. If the guy who had it was willing to sell to Trujillo for a price then surely he'd sell to the family at the same price? As I see it, the only person benefitting here is Trujillo himself as he gets to own and play the bass.

i had major respect for Rob before doing this i hold him as my bass idol along with John Deacon if it wasnt for those two i would never of played the instrument...
but now he's done this i should imagine he is very close to that instrument and will play it his way which i think Jaco would of wanted to be honest...
and my respect level for him has just increased ten fold...

good man rob...

p.s i never liked jason, not a big fan of Cliff's tone, loved his playing but couldnt listen to him for long where as Rob i can listen to all day and never get bored.