Why become a member? ×

Metallica's Trujillo Rescues Jaco Pastorius' Bass of Doom

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='885580' date='Jul 4 2010, 05:18 PM']p.s i never liked jason, not a big fan of Cliff's tone, loved his playing but couldnt listen to him for long where as Rob i can listen to all day and never get bored.[/quote]

I don't think Metallica liked Jason much, either, judging by the way they could treat him. A story I love, simply because it is so cruel, is the one where they're all at some restaurant and Jason wonders what the green paste is on Hetfield's plate. It turns out to be wasabi but Hetfield tells Jason it's guac. Jason, never having heard of or tasted wasabi before, believes him and fires in, shoving a serious helping of wasabi into his gob!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' post='885554' date='Jul 4 2010, 04:34 PM']Intrigued. What did he do??[/quote]

Re-recorded over his parts on Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman so that Ozzy could avoid paying the royalties that Bob was owed (Mike Bordin also re-did the drums).

Personally, thought Jason was a much better fit for Metallica than Rob.

Edited by Maverick

So the guy has whacked out enough money to make the shop finally part with a known-to-be-stolen bass.
HE gets to keep it, when it rightfully belongs to Pastorious' family.
.... and he will SELL it back to them?

The legal system wasn't really helping the family at all and Trujillo has helped himself.

[b]If he was helping the family, they would have the bass.[/b]

[quote name='Maverick' post='885597' date='Jul 4 2010, 05:38 PM']Re-recorded over his parts on Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman so that Ozzy could avoid paying the royalties that Bob was owed (Mike Bordin also re-did the drums).[/quote]

That's a b***ard, that! I had that done to me, years ago. Singer's boyfriend overdubbed my Ricky 8-string parts (they were great) with a DX7 synth bass patch. I've never forgiven the c***.

Anyway, sorry for thread deviatioN!

Edited by Stacker

Myth has it that Jaco was out cold on a park bench and it was stolen by an opportunist while he slept off the booze/drugs/whatever.

Here's Jaco with Kevin Kaufman in 1986 and the fully restored bass. Apparently, 150 hours' work went into putting it back together after being received in this state...

[quote name='Maverick' post='885597' date='Jul 4 2010, 05:38 PM']Re-recorded over his parts on Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman so that Ozzy could avoid paying the royalties that Bob was owed (Mike Bordin also re-did the drums).

Personally, thought Jason was a much better fit for Metallica than Rob.[/quote]
Surely the blame for that one lies with Ozzy?

I dunno what angle to take...so much is typed on here but at the end of the day, it's like a classic / vintage car.
It sure looks nice stored away in the dry...but it was built to be used and craves to be driven once more as it slowly seizes up, with only it's cosmetic side untarnished (for now).

Jaco ain't gonna be playing this bass again anytime soon, and I'm sure a bit of his soul is inside that wood. The bass wishes to be played, not stored and looked upon, the words "This once belonged to a legendary bassist and sung many a melody" being said about it.

Sure, Trujillo is completely different a player than Jaco...but that doesn't mean he can't play the legendary combination of wood and strings!
:)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='886033' date='Jul 5 2010, 12:19 AM']Myth has it that Jaco was out cold on a park bench and it was stolen by an opportunist while he slept off the booze/drugs/whatever.[/quote]
That's kinda what I heard. I think it's a bit presumptive to assume he just didn't sell it to get whatever he passed out on like he did in the past.

Without an actual known theft, demanding anything be returned sounds a bit lynch mobby :) Jaco certainly didn't have respect for this bass when he owned it. He had trashed it and broken the neck before. I guess it's just funny to see the fans worship the bass way more than Jaco did.

When I saw him he was ripping it up on a Jaydee which was just before he was a Guild endorser. In other words, there was nothing in that Fender that wasn't in many other basses from Jaco's apparent point of view.

[quote name='Kongo' post='886829' date='Jul 5 2010, 03:05 PM']Sure, Trujillo is completely different a player than Jaco...but that doesn't mean he can't play the legendary combination of wood and strings!
:)[/quote]
While different I also see a lot of similarities between Jaco and Rob. And not just the hair :rolleyes: for example both are very aggressive players who brought a large amount of funk into a style that wasn't always so funky. Both upfront lead players when they get the chance.

I'd guess Jaco would be proud to know Rob has his old bass and is playing it.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='886950' date='Jul 6 2010, 01:52 AM']While different I also see a lot of similarities between Jaco and Rob. And not just the hair :rolleyes: for example both are very aggressive players who brought a large amount of funk into a style that wasn't always so funky. Both upfront lead players when they get the chance.

I'd guess Jaco would be proud to know Rob has his old bass and is playing it.[/quote]

Indeed, after all Jazz aside, Jaco was a Pioneer...are we forgetting his lesson to us so quickly? About revolutionising and changing music whilst we snuff anything that we dont agree with, or do we but use his name in vane?
If so, we don't deserve to hold him high, cause he's not a happy bunny. :)

I think this is a great story, a great turnout...and it's kinda like when in movies or RPG's, when a Knight gains the legendary "Excalibur" or whatever have you...
You follow yes?
I'm exited about this, it's great for music. Jaco lives on, NOT in the past...but in the present and future in the hands of a great bassist.

Edited by Kongo

I really don't get Metallica at all, nothing else matters is a good song though I recognise that. Never expected to see Jaco's instrument in Trujillos hands, I'd prefer it if it was in a museum and the guys from Gospel chops brought it out for a bass festival or something. I don't think its benefitted the pastorius family at all, RT owns it w***in about on stage looking like a monkey, did I mention I don't get metallica? Vastly overrated and I'm a heavy metal fan. Urrgh, I'm annoyed. If you listen to 'The Essential Jaco Pastorius' CD you'll see why, from genius to retard - Pastorius used to leave me cold when I first heard him but listen to that...then St. Anger...

[quote name='Maverick' post='885597' date='Jul 4 2010, 05:38 PM']Re-recorded over his parts on Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman so that Ozzy could avoid paying the royalties that Bob was owed (Mike Bordin also re-did the drums).

Personally, thought Jason was a much better fit for Metallica than Rob.[/quote]

I'm sure Rob knew what he was doing was wrong but if your boss asked you to do something that you didn't agree with, would you say no?

Taking into consideration that playing with Ozzy was probably the first time that Rob had made serious money playing music.

Rob does seem like an unusual replacement for Jason Newsted but it seems to be working out

I would have been interested to see David Ellefson, Rex Brown or Mike Dean playing the Metallica gig though

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='883371' date='Jul 1 2010, 08:06 PM']Roll it back a few years and eveyone's happy;

Newstead-Flotsam & Jetsam
Burton-Metallica
Trujillo-Suicidal Tendencies[/quote]

Rob didn't join Suicidal Tendencies till 1989, when Jason was already in Metallica and touring the ...And justice for all album