Why become a member? ×

Metallica's Trujillo Rescues Jaco Pastorius' Bass of Doom

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Doctor J' post='891795' date='Jul 11 2010, 09:57 AM']You think he enjoyed replacing Daisley's parts and helping them screw him out of his royalties?[/quote]

No, what but I'm guessing he did as he was told and this was one of those things you don't want to do but sometimes you have to sacrifice your principles

We were only following orders... hmmm, heard that before alright :)

Sometimes you've got to be a man, stand up for yourself, and do what you think is right. I've no doubt he would've been under pressure from the wicked witch to do what he did, but that still doesn't make it ok. Maybe he didn't have a problem with it at all? It was a sh*tty thing to do, a sh*tty scheme to be a part of and will always tarnish his legacy and I say this as someone who saw him with ST when they toured with M.O.D. in 89, used to have a lot of time for the guy. I wonder would you be so forgiving if Metallica released a bass-audible version of AJFA with him replacing Newsted? I imagine that'd make Lars happy :rolleyes:

[quote name='Doctor J' post='893400' date='Jul 13 2010, 08:12 AM']We were only following orders... hmmm, heard that before alright :)

Sometimes you've got to be a man, stand up for yourself, and do what you think is right. I've no doubt he would've been under pressure from the wicked witch to do what he did, but that still doesn't make it ok. Maybe he didn't have a problem with it at all? It was a sh*tty thing to do, a sh*tty scheme to be a part of and will always tarnish his legacy and I say this as someone who saw him with ST when they toured with M.O.D. in 89, used to have a lot of time for the guy. I wonder would you be so forgiving if Metallica released a bass-audible version of AJFA with him replacing Newsted? I imagine that'd make Lars happy :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah you have a good point there a re-recording of AJFA would be disgraceful, I suppose I've taken Rob's side in this argument cos I've been a fan of his since his Controlled By Hatred/Light Camera Revolution era in Suicidal and really admired his playing. But if I was in Bob Daisley's shoes I'd be furious with this back stabbing.

I work in desktop publishing/data processing.....snore.....I know........

Now a remastered version of AJFA would be a different kettle of fish, they'll probably re-re-re-re-release the original version on 20 different shades of 180gram vinyl before that happens though.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='893520' date='Jul 13 2010, 10:48 AM']Ozzy's P.R. :)[/quote]

I really enjoy all the eras of Black Sabbath Ozzy/Dio/Gillan/Hughes/Martin/Dio/Ozzy/Dio and the first two Ozzy albums but everything post Randy Rhoads I can take it or leave it.

dont understand the attitude here that he's "not allowed" to own the bass... he bought it. Well done him IMO. rather a fan have it than it be stuck in a dealers. And Jaco is actually one of his heroes... and he's a pretty funky player... and he's friends with the family...?

[quote name='Stag' post='894268' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:07 PM']dont understand the attitude here that he's "not allowed" to own the bass... he bought it. Well done him IMO. rather a fan have it than it be stuck in a dealers. And Jaco is actually one of his heroes... and he's a pretty funky player... and he's friends with the family...?[/quote]

Indeed, but I'd like to add, even if he wasn't a funky player, even if he jus played 3 notes a la 3 chord thrash, he should still be entitled to it.
Come on people, broad minds in music please it's an art, not a competition.
As long as the player has heart and soul and puts it into his music he's fine to be having the bass IMO.
TBH I think Jaco would actually be mad at a few people for being so narrow minded. (this isn't aimed at the quoted person btw)

I cannot believe that a post I made about what [b]I thought[/b] was a nice gesture, without prejudice towards the Metallica geezer whom I know very little of as their music is not my cuppa, has instead turned into a bash fest. Narrow minded doesn't even come close to describe some of the response seen.

Long may live Jaco memory and legacy, I was lucky to see him live twice once in 1982 with Weather Report in Rome and once with his own band in Naples in 1986.

What I saw with my very eyes was a musician gifted with a talent that I will probably never see gain in my lifetime.

I consider myself extremely lucky to actually own something that belonged to Jaco, in his last set in Naples, he launched his wooly hat in the audience and I caught it! Here it is:

The weather in Naples was extremely hot and him playing with a wooly hat was probably not a good idea, which is maybe why he chucked it, when I caught it, it was soaked in sweat and it has since been washed of course, it's worth nothing to anyone except the memory of the occasion for me, it is not something I stole, to me it's priceless. I mean, it was Jaco's hat for god sake!

Here are the ticket stubs I still keep

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='895287' date='Jul 15 2010, 04:29 AM']I cannot believe that a post I made about what [b]I thought[/b] was a nice gesture, without prejudice towards the Metallica geezer whom I know very little of as their music is not my cuppa, has instead turned into a bash fest. Narrow minded doesn't even come close to describe some of the response seen.

Long may live Jaco memory and legacy, I was lucky to see him live twice once in 1982 with Weather Report in Rome and once with his own band in Naples in 1986.

What I saw with my very eyes was a musician gifted with a talent that I will probably never see gain in my lifetime.

The weather in Naples was extremely hot and him playing with a wooly hat was probably not a good idea, which is maybe why he chucked it, when I caught it, it was soaked in sweat and it has since been washed of course, it's worth nothing to anyone except the memory of the occasion for me, it is not something I stole, to me it's priceless. I mean, it was Jaco's hat for god sake![/quote]

I tip my hat to you!
I just cant beleive how many people freely spout Jaco's name and say "he changed bass" etc etc and then they call someone for playing the way they do because it's not Jaco's way...ok, that is completely against what Jaco was doing.
Most don't even have the right to spout Jaco this and Jaco that from what this thread shows.

Rob owns it, Rob plays it, he didn't rip off Jaco's family or they would have it back.
That's how it is folks.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Viajero' post='896241' date='Jul 16 2010, 08:42 AM']Grand Wazoo - I am indescribably impressed that you have that. Great story to it, too.

If you plan on dying any time soon, could I have it?[/quote]
Thats one way to wish GW a happy birthday!

(see bottom of BassChat home page :) )

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Viajero' post='896241' date='Jul 16 2010, 08:42 AM']Grand Wazoo - I am indescribably impressed that you have that. Great story to it, too.

If you plan on dying any time soon, could I have it?[/quote]

My son has already claimed it, sorry.

[quote name='Clarky' post='896247' date='Jul 16 2010, 08:48 AM']Thats one way to wish GW a happy birthday!

(see bottom of BassChat home page :) )[/quote]

Thanks Clarky, yup its my birthday.