Why become a member? ×

Spector Tonepump is NOT boost only!

davidak

There is a lot of Tonepump Tonedump discusions over here, so I decided to bring some information from the source, since there's nearly no info on Spector's web.

I live in Czech Republic, where are Euro Spectors made and know, that preamp also comes from Cze.

It was designed for Spector and made by little company called [b]Michalik[/b]. They sell this preamp here under name BP-4, and sell it to Spector under name Tonepump. I'll try to translate it's description, apologize my english. It could be called stupid marketing talk, but I think it is useful:

[quote][b]BP-4 preamp[/b]

Active circuit BP-4 was designed for American bass guitar manufacturer SPECTOR. It is used in all European models and some US models since 2003 under business name Tonepump.

Basic advantage of used wiring is, that it doesn't use operational amplifiers, like the most of other preamp manufacturers, but it uses special wiring with JFET transistor, which behaves very similar to valves.

Operational amplifiers, when they're overloaded- which is on beginning of nearly every tone, are saturated. When they're saturated, there is a short recovery time(about several milliseconds) and whole circuit doesn't work in this short time. The result is, that we lose signal- beginning of the tone, its attack. Valve(and this preamp) doesn't behave like this and when it's overloaded, it softly distorts second harmonical, which is octave, which doesn't matter to the sound. And the first signal after peak is immediately played.

Op-amplifiers based preamps often solve this problem using two 9V batteries. But the problem is not solved, it is just delayed and this peak could be problematic in signal chain in amplifiers, mixing consoles etc.

The result of JFETs using is, that instrument „articulates“ (because there's no loss on the beginning of the tone). Instrument is cutting through very good in the mix in low volumes, too, and tone is clear in every EQ setting, in studio or live situations.

BP-4 specifications:

• Uses 9V battery
• Power consumption 1,2mA
• Battery life app 420 h, up to 1000 h when using hq alkaline battery
• Basic gain +12dB
• Controls:
Bass: +14dB/-4dB @55Hz
Treble: +14dB/-12dB @6,5kHz
Volume
Balance
[/quote]

Well, I was little bit confused from that Boost/Cut EQ parameters, so I've asked directly mr. Michalik.

He told me that Tonepump is exactly the same circuit as BP-4. That eq is really cut/boost, not boost only, in spite of Spector says it is boost. It means, preamp is not flat at all when EQ is turned fully of! It is IMO very important fact. There's no middle dent on the pot, so it looks like on my old preEB MM Sabre,which was cut/boost too, with no pots dents.

I asked him for some wiring diagrams- I would like to rewire my Spector to Volume/Balance, too. He sent it to me and I translate them from czech to english. Again, hope it's translated correctly, I've just edited it in Photoshop :)

[b]One pickup wiring[/b]
[url="http://img64.imageshack.us/i/bp41pickup.jpg/"][/url]

[b]Two pickups with two volumes[/b]
[url="http://img443.imageshack.us/i/bp42pickupsvolvol.jpg/"][/url]

[b]Two pickups with volume and balance[/b]
[url="http://img695.imageshack.us/i/bp42pickupsbal.jpg/"][/url]

Hope it clears some doubts about Tonepump and will be helpful for someone.

Cheers, David

Edited by davidak

Hmm, very interesting indeed.

Does this mean that with the bass and treble dialled fully back to 'flat' position, that we're in fact setting bass and treble to maximum cut?

Would the knobs at 'mid point' then, represent a 'flat' setting of the pre?

Edited by Basszilla

Yes, it is like that.

Spector web description says:

• Active Tone Controls: Spector TonePump™ boost only active bass and treble

And downloaded Spector manual says:

The Spector TonePump® Active Bass
and Treble control is provided by means
of 2 continuously variable controls.
There are no center detents on these
controls. In that way, you are in control
rather than having “normal tone”
dictated to you. Slightly rolling in a
touch on both the Treble and the Bass
control will provide a flat frequency
response. Continuing clockwise, the
Spector TonePump® will provide 18 dB
boost in both the Bass and Treble
range. We have “A/B’d” the TonePump®
against all of the major bass “pre’s” in
the market and have found that it offers
greater headroom, gain, and control
that anything out there. The Spector
TonePump® is a 9 vDC circuit and is our
most aggressive preamp to date.

Agreed. I went through a stage of 'tonedump' consideration, but I think that was mainly due to the amount of press that the issue was getting. It's easy to move with the herd when these things come up.

I'm glad though, that I stuck with the TP. It does all I'd want it to do. If I changed it, I think i'd miss 'that' sound.

This is definitely an interesting thread though. Let's see what Spector say to Cetera.

Well, here's the info - straight from their wonderful Artist Relations man PJ.... weird they didn't realise this.... and it puts a WHOLE new slant on the Tonepump!

[i]"Hello again - thanks for sending me the link.

After reviewing all of this, of course the person who designed our TonePump circuit is accurate...so...I need to work with our new web designer and include the proper TonePump / TonePump Jr. info! :)

Sounds like we misinterpreted his info almost 10 years ago while working on this with him.

Thanks again,
PJ

Also please send my regards to everybody at Bass Chat UK!!! :rolleyes: "[/i]

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

[quote name='cetera' post='881731' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:11 AM']Well, here's the info - straight from their wonderful Artist Relations man PJ.... weird they didn't realise this.... and it puts a WHOLE new slant on the Tonepump!

[i]"Hello again - thanks for sending me the link.

After reviewing all of this, of course the person who designed our TonePump circuit is accurate...so...I need to work with our new web designer and include the proper TonePump / TonePump Jr. info! :)

Sounds like we misinterpreted his info almost 10 years ago while working on this with him.

Thanks again,
PJ

Also please send my regards to everybody at Bass Chat UK!!! :rolleyes: "[/i][/quote]

Isn't that amazing, after all the years since it was introduced?

My CRFM5 (made circa 2001) originally had an Aguilar preamp but had a U-Retro fitted years ago which sounds just wonderful.

I got my Spector out of the case last night for a noodle. I'd forgotten how beautiful it sounds, looks and plays.

Frank.

Wow, what a great feedback :)

I'm glad it's clear now, interesting that so many people, especially on Talkbass, upgrade their Spectors "because Tonepump just sound bad when set flat" or because it has VOL VOL and no VOL BAL controls.

90% of those tunning ambitions are made just because of hype, not because of sound, IMO. In fact, hype is what made those "boutique companies" like Nordstrand or Fralin, maybe Lull or Valenti so famous. I can't tell anything against them, but this Spector's Tonepump is nice example, of how easy is to find reason for upgrade, "just read someone's new ULTIMATE sound upgrade review and you have to do the same":rolleyes:

Its great to see someone do the actual leg work and find out the facts instead of just assuming what they read is correct about a bass product. Great work Davidak. There are a couple of spector basses in a shop near me which I'll test drive now for sure.

It also shows how important it is to understand how something works before giving a negative opinion. Just think how osme of the more complex gear works or the tone you might get out if a classic Fender tone stack in a Bassman type amp.

Its an interesting point how word of mouth can influence opinion or trends.

Having owned 3 US NS5XL's I have to admit that I always assumed the tone pump was both cut & boost and tended to just set it in the mid position anyway :)

I never understood why people didn't like it, I've always preferred it to the J East circuit that lots of people fit. . .

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TDM' post='884495' date='Jul 3 2010, 01:28 AM']Thanks for the info.

So by the looks of things, it shouldn't be too difficult (not impossible, at least) to rewire my vol/vol setup for vol/balance?[/quote]
Yes, rewiring it to VOL/BAL should be very easy, you'll just need a new balance pot.

I'm very satisfied with my Tonepump, too, the only thing which irritates me a little bit is very powerful output- it doesn't matter to my Eden head, but my little practice amp doesn't handle it without distortion even when the amp gain is set to minimum, so I have to adjust both volumes on bass to lower levels(and it is the reason why I'm thinking about balance knob).

And at the end, one pic of my amber darling :)

and others [url="http://gdavidak.rajce.idnes.cz/Spector_Euro_4_LX/"]here[/url]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been very disappointed with the TonePump. The signal is so hot that it is always distorted. It is really a shame that Spector would sell equipment at the Euro pricepoint ($2k+) and not even know how the gear works. The Euro 5LX plays like a wet dream but sounds like crap. I have been setting the bass and treble flat and running the volumes at 2.5/10 and I get a flabby distorted tone. Looks like its time for a ToneDump unless someone else has some suggestions...

You must be running a pretty crappy amp or working in some pretty crappy studios then! I never had any trouble with my Spector Euro. In fact, it was always a dream in the studio, with that nice hot signal it always had amazing presence and was a joy to mix because it never faded into obscurity like some basses do. And through an amp, it was always beautifully crisp and growly. It sounded as good as the Status Stealth bass I had at the time, and that is high praise indeed.

[quote name='landofjaker' post='1083318' date='Jan 9 2011, 05:11 PM']I have been very disappointed with the TonePump. The signal is so hot that it is always distorted. It is really a shame that Spector would sell equipment at the Euro pricepoint ($2k+) and not even know how the gear works. The Euro 5LX plays like a wet dream but sounds like crap. I have been setting the bass and treble flat and running the volumes at 2.5/10 and I get a flabby distorted tone. Looks like its time for a ToneDump unless someone else has some suggestions...[/quote]

Have you adjusted the preamp gain? If you open the back panel you will see a little white dial on the preamp - it tends to be on full when they leave the factory (I think) but you can easily turn it down with a flat screwdriver. When they are turned up full the output is a little bit much.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1083757' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:18 PM']You must be running a pretty crappy amp or working in some pretty crappy studios then! I never had any trouble with my Spector Euro. In fact, it was always a dream in the studio, with that nice hot signal it always had amazing presence and was a joy to mix because it never faded into obscurity like some basses do. And through an amp, it was always beautifully crisp and growly. It sounded as good as the Status Stealth bass I had at the time, and that is high praise indeed.[/quote]

^This... +a million...