Why become a member? ×

1981 Gibson Victory Artist

neepheid

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='981008' date='Oct 7 2010, 10:12 PM']Any new updates on the bass Matt???????????[/quote]

I haven't been keeping up with things recently because my father-in-law passed away a couple of weeks ago and I've been obviously had to make supporting my wife my #1 priority.

If Rich has something to share then I'm sure he'll pop something up.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm... a bit of a set back with the body. I decided to do a last minute buff and ended up polishing through to the primer at the sharp edge on the neck pocket. :) So I've got to get the spray cans out again. Same time next week? :lol: Still we got to muck about with the neck hardware... looking good.

[quote name='neepheid' post='999110' date='Oct 24 2010, 06:19 PM']Don't worry mannie, perfection is worth an extra week :)

You're right about the hardware, I'm so lucky to have acquired 29 year old chrome parts in such good nick.[/quote]
They are in unfathomably good condition for their age.... for any age really. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, this going to look good!

I really like the idea of a project a bit like this. I am seriously considering selling both my Warwicks once my Electra is finished, then just getting some old interesting beat up bass and restroring it like this one has been.

Superb paint job Rich, stunning!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='996597' date='Oct 22 2010, 01:21 AM']With the paint a clear coats confidently cured I got to polishing today. It's very hard to show just how highly polished I got it (the flash kills it) so I took some grainy flash-less pics...[/quote]

A little trick I use on yacht paint jobs is to hold a wooden or plastic ruler end on against the painted surface in natural daylight and read off the reflection in the paint. Best I've seen on a yacht is 110mm before the reflection started to loose distinction. It's not a gloss reading (good gloss meters are bloody expensive!) but it gives a good indication as to the quality of the finish.

• 1 month later...

We're kinda snookered with the weather up here at the moment. It's no climate to be spraying basses in, that's for sure. Double bummer, as Rich put up a shed, thinking he could carry on with normal November weather. Yesterday, just to feel like I've done something to move the thing on, I took the protective film off the pickguard and fitted those washers/position indicators. All things being well, this should be good to go when the time comes, save for reattaching the bridge earth wire.

Curse you, weather!

Edited by neepheid

I'm getting a backlog of jobs all waiting for paint/lacquer. I tried a test spray out in the workshop this weekend with bad results. I took the paint out with me an hour or so before spraying while I did some prep and despite have some partial heating in there (it does little more than take the chill off) the cold did something bad to it - it produced a patchy crackle effect. It's ok Matt it wasn't your bass (it wasn't even nitro) :). I'm going to have another pop at it today but I'm going to try warming the paint slightly first (it's been in the airing cupboard all night) and also have the paint spend as little time in sub zero as possible. Fingers crossed.