Why become a member? ×

Anyone enjoy Muse at Glastonbury?

TomNicoBassman

Caught a bit. Not seen them before and don't know the music but I liked what I saw.
Loads of energy.

I understand the bass player changed basses for every song so the one I saw was the Ric one... Possibly the last tune as they filled the stage with smoke and did a big bow at the end...

What could have been a tremendous moment for Muse seems to have turned into a "crash & burn" judging by what folk are saying here.
Ive not seen it (yet) but it must have been bad, as I thought most BCers would want Muse to succeed.
bad one

Is what I posted on the glastonbury hate thread....

If I had 5 satus (staii?) I'd play 'em all in one night if Id got someone to pack them away for me! :)

Red Fender Jazz, Fireglo Ric, A few status as well are his range. He used to play bass collection basses and a pedulla rapture, and some warwicks in the studio. Pretty wide range of gear!

Back onto the topic of their performance, i thought they played exceptionally well but the mix let them down. Too wooly and not enough punch.

I really liked it too. The mix was very bass light even on BBC HD but the band were spot on throughout the whole set. I couldn't see a bass backline so I guess he was just using inears. They looked like they were having a ball too which I always like to see - none of that moody rockstar nonsense.

i don't understand why Chris has his bass so low in the mix live, alot of the time hardly audible.

Good performance, not a great sound but still a million miles ahead of any other modern rock band at Glastonbury

I enjoyed watching them. I didn't know whether the bass sound was light or whether it was my old telly. Fantastic live band though.

Does anyone know what the glowing square is on the singers guitar? (sorry not great with names). Is this a musical device or just ornament?

I thought the new stuff was a bit lackluster. It hasn't done much for me since I first heard it. That was only in the middle of the set though. The older stuff at the beginning and the end was just fantastic as usual. Seems Chris has seen the light and switched to Status big time. Good for him. Best three piece since Rush.

Anyone who thinks that is the work of a 3 piece ..well, words fail me.

Still, lots of bands fly in stuff so no real big deal there anyway.
Two years ago, I'd say they would have been the premier festival act...now it just doesn't work as well.
They have loads of hits and anthems to parade but not sure they are still a worthwhile act in that sense on the basis of these performances.

Drum sounds was awful, to my ears but I would imagine it is really hard the get their touring show up and running for a quick one-off festival rig
so not that worried about the mixes as such as they must be a pig to do and needs loads of time.

Swapping out so many basses..well, lets not go there...just another thing to bash them with, I'd say.
If your basic sound is cluttered or changed so much..what is with so many swaps..?

So..does nothing at all for me..

Well I caught this by chance last night and have to say I thought it was bloody great. I have never been much of a Muse fan but I thought the show last night was superb and and through my speakers I thought the sounds was brilliant for a festival gig. When Chris and the drummer kicked in it felt like i was being beaten up it was so powerful and BIG sounding. I thought the bass was a little low but the drums sounded great! might just be down to what setup you have with your TV.

I've just watched it again in HD but through my stereo to get a better sound than through the tele late at night. The mix was ok for a festival and the BBC. Yeah, a bit bass light but still powerfull sound and full of energy. The blew all the other Glasto band off the stage. What an inspired song choice doing The Streets Have no Name was with The Edge. That really fitted into the set.

I think the guys did well and I particulary liked all the live endings to the songs. Muse still rock big style.

[quote name='JTUK' post='878798' date='Jun 27 2010, 01:30 PM']Anyone who thinks that is the work of a 3 piece ..well, words fail me.

Still, lots of bands fly in stuff so no real big deal there anyway.
Two years ago, I'd say they would have been the premier festival act...now it just doesn't work as well.
They have loads of hits and anthems to parade but not sure they are still a worthwhile act in that sense on the basis of these performances.

Drum sounds was awful, to my ears but I would imagine it is really hard the get their touring show up and running for a quick one-off festival rig
so not that worried about the mixes as such as they must be a pig to do and needs loads of time.

Swapping out so many basses..well, lets not go there...just another thing to bash them with, I'd say.
If your basic sound is cluttered or changed so much..what is with so many swaps..?

So..does nothing at all for me..[/quote]

I have to agree with you there.

Ive seen them live at Leeds Festival before and they seemed to have a hell of a lot more raw energy than they did last night. Certainly not the gig I was expecting.

I quite like Muse, but there use of tons of effects live starts to get on my nerves after a while. Impressive noise for a 3 piece mind.

Sorry, I have to say I personally think the move to Status is a bad one. They sounded tinny and hifi, not what Muse is about. But the TV sound obviously wasnt what it was like live.

He is quite a good bass player, but jees they need to get a little more excited and interact with EACH OTHER. It just felt like I was watching someone do their day job with very little spark.

[quote name='aznbass' post='878874' date='Jun 27 2010, 02:59 PM']I normally hate muse, but i think they were great live.

And the scissor sisters, brilliant, especially with the Kylie Minogue.[/quote]

Scissor Sisters always come across extremely pro.

Kate Nash was plain awful.

[quote name='JTUK' post='878798' date='Jun 27 2010, 01:30 PM']Anyone who thinks that is the work of a 3 piece ..well, words fail me.[/quote]
Well the last time I counted the members of Muse there were three of them.

In their latter years Pink Floyd were a three piece. Rush are a three piece. So what if Muse were augmented every now and again with a live keyboard player. Most of the time they were not. Level 42 have always augmented their stage shows with sequenced parts. It's still three guys who make the original music.

Spose you can't please all the people all the time.

[quote name='BassBus' post='878924' date='Jun 27 2010, 04:29 PM']Well the last time I counted the members of Muse there were three of them.

In their latter years Pink Floyd were a three piece. Rush are a three piece. So what if Muse were augmented every now and again with a live keyboard player. Most of the time they were not. Level 42 have always augmented their stage shows with sequenced parts. It's still three guys who make the original music.

Spose you can't please all the people all the time.[/quote]

Same deal as Pet Shop Boys and they are a duo, get it..??? ...and of course, I'd much rather watch Muse
but they use extra effects well...

I didn't see the keyboard player take a bow at the end..and I think it is obvious but not entirely offensive..they use sequences.
As I said no big deal but you are kidding yourself if you think 3 guys produce that sound.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='parker_muse' post='878801' date='Jun 27 2010, 01:33 PM']I've no problem with the swapping. You want to get the right tone for each song. When you've that much money and that much success you can afford to be that much of a perfectionist. I know I would be if I wasn't a student![/quote]
..but you couldn't hear the tone, let alone a difference!

I love muse, but i don't understand why he has stopped using the pedulla live in the last few years, his tone has seriously suffered..

[quote name='Tee' post='878945' date='Jun 27 2010, 04:49 PM']Muse = 'Dr Who' music.[/quote]

i consider that an insult to the radiophonic workshop !

:)

i saw some of muse on telly last night. not a fan at all, and they did little to convert me i'm afraid.

it was just a bit dull iimho