Why become a member? ×

Warwick $$ basses

far0n

I had a Corvette 5 string - a lot of variety of sound but easy to get a good sound right away. Phenomenally fast neck, one of the fastest I've ever played.

Brilliant B String - really suits a set of Warwick Yellow label nickel strings so stop it being too zingy

I sold it. believe it or not, because my thumb kept trying to lodge itself between the pickups and I couldn't find a comfortable place to put it.

Very 'different' and Warwick is how Id describe the $$.

Personally, I couldnt get along with the necks, but the construction on these basses is very very good.

It sounds nothing like a MM humbucker btw, if you were expecting that. Has its own unique voicing which I think is a good thing. Eg, if you want a MM tone, get a MM. If not, dont!

I also think compared to some manufacturers the prices are pretty reasonable.

If you like the style/shape/neck, you will like the sound no doubt :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='871862' date='Jun 19 2010, 04:22 PM']It sounds nothing like a MM humbucker btw, if you were expecting that. Has its own unique voicing which I think is a good thing. Eg, if you want a MM tone, get a MM. If not, dont![/quote]

plus the one...i was surprised at how un-musicman it sounded.

in a good way tho.

the ability to switch between the single coil and 2-styles of humbucker really opens up the neck pickup.

I've never got on with Warwicks. I love the shape and the necks but the ones I've tried have all been duffers - despite their expense. One was headstock heavy and wanted to dive bomb into the floor and the others felt poorly set-up and that included a $$ and a dirt blonde.

[quote name='GЯДИК' post='872214' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:09 PM']Cool sound and a nice build quality but I hate how far out the neck feels on a strap. I have long arms too...
I traded mine to OutToPlayJazz on here[/quote]

Good to see you again, GЯДИКФЯ. I also had a brand new $$ a while back. One of the best basses I've ever owned. As an all rounder, you can't beat the Corvette $$.

I love my Corvette $$ BO. Extremely versatile, great fundamental tone, immensely fast neck even though mine it the older chunkier variety, superb build and hardware, unbeatably reliable.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Edited by silddx

Generally they're very good. Plenty of sounds accessible from the series/parallel/single coil switching- and that's just with the stock 2-band MEC electrics. Last one I played got a thorough battering from [s]everyone's favourite toilet seat[/s] a Musicman Bongo 4HH, which sounded simply [i]Atomic[/i]! It seemed much better voiced, and the 4 band EQ really did bring out the best in the pick-ups. Neither are subtle, but I do wonder what a $$ would sound like with a set of Barts, a 3 band EQ with a mid-sweep and 18v power... Sometimes, I wonder if Warwick concentrate too much on the woods, and not enough on the electrics package. That said, I'd accuse EBMM of the opposite in the case of the Bongo. Even at this sort of price, there are still some compromises that need to be made.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='silddx' post='872475' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:06 AM']I love my Corvette $$ BO. Extremely versatile, great fundamental tone, immensely fast neck even though mine it the older chunkier variety, superb build and hardware, unbeatably reliable.

Can't recommend them highly enough.[/quote]

Me too. I've got a $$5bo and I love it. Immense tonal variation, although I do tend to find myself coming back to the classic W tone.

• 2 weeks later...

As the guys have mentioned, loads of tonal variety but still has it's own "voice" - can do deep/dark or nice n' bright slappy bite easily

Always a head turner and I personally think the sexiest of all Waricks in terms of body shape - surprisingly good balance, loads better than my old MMSR5 or Sandy JM5 and still remains light on your shoulder

Strangley enough I'm selling mine as it doesn't get used any more and seems pointless keeping her in her case all the time :)

[quote name='ieuanmacey' post='880756' date='Jun 29 2010, 10:54 AM']Always a head turner and I personally think the sexiest of all Waricks in terms of body shape[/quote]

You can get both Corvettes and Streamers in $$ versions (though the Streamers are rarer).

I've never had a proper go with a $$, I almost got one a few months back but ended up with my Thumb instead.

I've had a lot of Warwicks and tried a number of $$, both Streamer and Corvettes in 4,5 and 6-string (Corvette only). I've never really got on with them as I find the pickups have some sort of mid cut going on that cannot be defeated (and there's no mid eq). The sound is too fat with both coils and too thin as a single coil. The big volume difference between the coiltap settings also precludes changing mid-set without messing with either onboard volume or amp gain. Undoubtably powerful, but I'd get a Fender Roscoe Beck as it is fully passive and sounds more musical and usable.

The Streamer is a slightly more expensive option and of course has the Maple neck giving it a more biting tone.

I love $$ though, very quickly my thumb adapted to sit in the slot between the front pickup screw and although it is a bit wierd to first learn to slap on it the hand position is very comfy.