Why become a member? ×

Guitarist Tries To Play Bass

Pete Academy

Sometimes my guitarist picks up a bass and will play some groovy riffs rediculously fast and it makes me very jealous.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='867206' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:18 PM']Basically, with all instruments, there's a correct way to play them and a myriad of totally wrong ways.[/quote]

Sorry this is off topic, but isn't that a contradiction?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='867530' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:01 PM']I suppose in a lot of ways I'm lucky in that I don't have to play with guitarists very often. In the musical areas I play even if there is a guitar, they're forced to be very subtle, which can only be a good thing. I'll be working with my old trio in July and the guitarist is very good, but I will need my earplugs in order to deal with the barrage of nasty noise he'll make.

I liked Daz's comment in post #68 - Yes, we are always hearing from people that our basses are just a "guitar" - No, it's not a guitar you moron - It's a bass! And that it must be an easy job - Nope, it's as involved as any musical instrument if you learn to play it properly. It takes years of practise, a good teacher and a lot of experience to become a good bass player.

So I hereby declare that anyone calling our magnificent instrument a "guitar" from now on should be deserving of a slow and painful death... :rolleyes:[/quote]

How about a banjo? My mum always used to refer to my bass as a banjo (mainly cos I'd go all red in the face and steam would come out me ears), is that OK?

:)

[quote name='Davetbass' post='866409' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:55 PM']You never see someone that's gone from guitar to bass play with their fingers do you? It's always a pick.[/quote]
When I switched from guitar to bass, I went straight to fingers. Mind you, I could fingerpick reasonably on a guitar anyway.

[quote name='Davetbass' post='866409' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:55 PM']You never see someone that's gone from guitar to bass play with their fingers do you? It's always a pick.[/quote]
No, it's not always a pick at all. Four of the five guitarists I've played with in recent months don't use a pick even on guitar. Only one of them claims to play bass, which he does - with his fingers - very effectively.

Not that it would matter one bit if someone did use a pick to play bass.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='868154' date='Jun 15 2010, 04:46 PM']No, it's not always a pick at all. Four of the five guitarists I've played with in recent months don't use a pick even on guitar. Only one of them claims to play bass, which he does - with his fingers - very effectively.

Not that it would matter one bit if someone did use a pick to play bass.[/quote]
I use both on bass. I used to be a guitarist, I play both styles on my guitar too. I would play with a fried chicken drumstick if it sounded good to me.

[quote name='ahpook' post='868304' date='Jun 15 2010, 07:30 PM']one thing - i do wish people would stop calling guitarists 'guitards'

it's childish in the extreme.[/quote]

It is quite annoying. Also i think it's quite childish to pretend that you're actually better than someone else on the bass just because you use your fingers and not a pick.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='868323' date='Jun 15 2010, 07:47 PM']It is quite annoying. Also i think it's quite childish to pretend that you're actually better than someone else on the bass just because you use your fingers and not a pick.[/quote]
Exactly. Chris Squire is much better than James Jamerson and Chris uses a pick.

[quote name='Johnston' post='868380' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:33 PM']I would actually use the term guitarist for someone with talent and skill in their chosen instrument not just in playing ability but also in general demeanour and attitude towards playing with other musicians .

Guitard for someone who can fret w*** think they are brilliant, that everyone else comes second to the fact they are making a twat of themselves in front of everyone.

so for me it is not childish it actually has a place in the English language.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Johnston' post='868380' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:33 PM']Guitard for someone who can fret w*** think they are brilliant, that everyone else comes second to the fact they are making a twat of themselves in front of everyone.[/quote]

you know...i've never met a guitarist like that.

[quote name='ahpook' post='868304' date='Jun 15 2010, 07:30 PM']one thing - i do wish people would stop calling guitarists 'guitards'

it's childish in the extreme.[/quote]

+1

I hate the expression. The assumption that somebody who plays guitar is also a retard is itself quite retarded.

[quote name='Johnston' post='868380' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:33 PM']Guitard for someone who can fret w*** think they are brilliant, that everyone else comes second to the fact they are making a twat of themselves in front of everyone.[/quote]
:)

And in the right corner..... Basstard.

Garry

[quote name='tauzero' post='866770' date='Jun 14 2010, 09:54 AM']What, both of them?

I started on guitar and took up bass later, which meant I had an idea of what notes were in various chords and scales. It's easier translating guitar knowledge to bass than to keyboards. I think it would be a bit more difficult going from bass to guitar, but I also feel that it's useful for a bassist to have at least a basic grasp of another melodic instrument. Drums would probably be handy too - it's something I'd like to have some ability at but have never got round to.[/quote]

I totally agree.. I started in drums.. stuck with.. still love it.. then played guitar.. I could play it.. but It didn't feel right... I picked up bass and life felt great.. bass really is the link between pitch and rhythm.. sometimes the link needs lots of notes.. other times just a few.. and only true musicians understand..

As a drummer you get a lot of recognition, if you're good... but on bass nothing.. only if you're not there.. then they say something isn't right what is it???

I'm a lover of all instruments and inspired by them equally...You have guitar thats done it all and developed over a long period of time...then you have the bass which is still developing and, concerning the electric form anyway, is a LOT younger.
Sometimes I wanna grab some of that guitar influence and bridge it to bass...sometimes I like the gap and opportunity of the electric bass to do something different, even tho you know yourself its not.

Then theres Piano / keys...Bass, melody and rhythm in one...awesome such a full sound solo or in a band...
Now, apply to Bass and voila!

Someone said about Violin? IMO it's a very distant and somber sounding instrument, but I guess thats cause of the application it is used in solo.
However...apply to bass...what have we got now? Huge emotion and sense of a story!

Excluding drums, because we know about rhythm and slap (and I LOVE drums!), by taking inspo from other instruments you have an entire toolbox at your disposal.

I get along with guitarists and they get a long with me. In a band, All we have is each other, so lets get along!
My friends (of whom are also guitarists in my band) are inspired by my playing and not holding back. In turn, Im inspired by them and their playing and the influences often lap over, I love the control one of them has! Its like his instrument is his own arm...but then he says the same so, I guess its the Grass being greener again.

I don't even mind pick on bass no more, I personally find it a hindrance, but thats because it doesnt fit with -my- play style.
I grew out of criticising such silly little things a while ago. At the end of the day, they are all instruments...and instruments do not play themselves!
It's up to us what we play and how we do it.

Blue, black or red ink. Biro, Fountain or Pencil...It's not what the Poem was written with, it's what -was- written that counts!

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='868628' date='Jun 16 2010, 12:15 AM']Then theres Piano / keys...Bass, melody and rhythm in one...awesome such a full sound solo or in a band...
Now, apply to Bass and viola![/quote]

Personally,I think it would be better applied on bass and cello than 'bass and viola'. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='868655' date='Jun 16 2010, 01:19 AM']Personally,I think it would be better applied on bass and cello than 'bass and viola'. :)[/quote]

That'd be this silly auto correct doing its thing lol!
Set typically to American (if that language exists), guess they dont use French expressions, will correct that now.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='867722' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:06 AM']I also feel the same about guitarists who use Drop D tuning. I'm aware that some player do it for the low D, however my bands drummer wrote a song in drop D because he can't play in standard.[/quote]
Which drum did he tune down to D?