Why become a member? ×

Guitarist Tries To Play Bass

Pete Academy

[quote name='Starless' post='867108' date='Jun 14 2010, 03:27 PM']They eventually ended up playing [b]rhythm guitar [/b]- [b]which surely is the lowest common denominator in a band[/b]. Although the concept of a purely rhythm guitarist is long gone, that is exactly what a 'lead' guitarist becomes in-between his twiddly bits - so for the vast majority of a gig all guitarists actually spend their time being the [b]dumbass rhythm player [/b]- a job that requires the least talent of any of the band's functions.
(IMHO of course :rolleyes: )[/quote]

Good grief...
So Nile Rodgers is just a dumbass rhythm player... :)
Good rhythm gtr is a serious art.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Davetbass' post='866409' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:55 PM']A couple of guitarists I know swopped recently to bass and informed me that they were now bassplayers. My reply was "No... you are bass OWNERS!!"

You never see someone that's gone from guitar to bass play with their fingers do you? It's always a pick.[/quote]

Jeez. Mate, that is such sh*te. I'm assuming you're a young fella though so hopefully you'll learn.

There's a lot of guitarist-bashing going on here that is simply untrue, unenlightened and unfair. It's not light-hearted rivalry here, it's just damn ignorant.

I just can't believe some of the arrogant bass bollocks here. You are either a good, supportive musician - or you are a crap, non-supportive musician. It doesn't matter what instrument you play, or how you play it if it fulfills the band's vision.

[quote name='silddx' post='867253' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:19 PM']Jeez. Mate, that is such sh*te. I'm assuming you're a young fella though so hopefully you'll learn.

There's a lot of guitarist-bashing going on here that is simply untrue, unenlightened and unfair. It's not light-hearted rivalry here, it's just damn ignorant.[/quote]

...and a fairly light-hearted thread finally descends into condescending holier-than-thou finger wagging...

Shame.

[quote name='Starless' post='867291' date='Jun 14 2010, 06:58 PM']...and a fairly light-hearted thread finally descends into condescending holier-than-thou finger wagging...

Shame.[/quote]
Oh dear, I [i]am [/i]sorry.

You'd better call the mods to ascend it.

:):rolleyes:

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='866278' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:12 PM']Put a bass in a guitarist's hands and they just seem to get the urge to, well...widdle. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hmmmm Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, Alain Caron, Marcus Miller, Adam Nitti, Jeff Schmidt, Jonas Helborg, Micheal Manring etc.. of course THEY don't widdle on bass :)

I consider myself an accomplished guitarist and bassist and resent the fact that people seem to genuinely believe you can't do one without being some kind of traitor to the other.

Edited by TankJon

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='867335' date='Jun 14 2010, 07:34 PM']I'm shocked at the number of bassists here who only know rubbish guitarists. You really need to get out more.

As for rhythm guitar work being easy - you really need to listen to more music.

I could go on ... but I can't be bothered.[/quote]

*Nods head sagely...*

[quote name='ironside1966' post='867338' date='Jun 14 2010, 07:36 PM']It would be silly to say anyone who plays guitar can’t play bass, but some guitarist believe they can play bass without practicing and study.
Bach composed some great bass lines and he was just an organist.[/quote]

And as we all know, Bach's Organ Works! :)

I play bass fairly melodically, and I know some more rhythmical guitarists- myself being one of them. I think that instrument "roles" shouldn't be as rigid as they seem to be, bassists shouldn't have to just play "root notes with some fills", they should be able to play whatever the hell they want, and similarly, guitarists shouldn't be limited to "widdly bits" or "chord strumming".

I listen to prog/tech metal though, :)

[quote name='TankJon' post='867317' date='Jun 14 2010, 07:20 PM']Hmmmm Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, Alain Caron, Marcus Miller, Adam Nitti, Jeff Schmidt, Jonas Helborg, Micheal Manring etc.. of course THEY don't widdle on bass :)[/quote]

Top Tip:
You should never widdle on your bass, save that for the toilet.

[quote name='Golchen' post='866642' date='Jun 13 2010, 11:59 PM']Oh surprise, another bash the guitarists thread. Such insecurity here. I go to loads of different instrument forums, and bass players are the ONLY ones with a permanent chip on their shoulder. So, I'm a guitarist who also plays other instruments. I've been told that I play bass like a bassist and that's good enough for me. I'm outta here ....[/quote]

Is quite possible some bass players do have a chip on their shoulder. But then they are constantly hearing know nothing guitarists and even non musicians spouting about how any guitar player could pick up a bass and master it in an hour.

I suppose in a lot of ways I'm lucky in that I don't have to play with guitarists very often. In the musical areas I play even if there is a guitar, they're forced to be very subtle, which can only be a good thing. I'll be working with my old trio in July and the guitarist is very good, but I will need my earplugs in order to deal with the barrage of nasty noise he'll make.

I liked Daz's comment in post #68 - Yes, we are always hearing from people that our basses are just a "guitar" - No, it's not a guitar you moron - It's a bass! And that it must be an easy job - Nope, it's as involved as any musical instrument if you learn to play it properly. It takes years of practise, a good teacher and a lot of experience to become a good bass player.

So I hereby declare that anyone calling our magnificent instrument a "guitar" from now on should be deserving of a slow and painful death... :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='867206' date='Jun 14 2010, 05:18 PM']Bigoted? Me? Too damned right! :)

Basically, with all instruments, there's a correct way to play them and a myriad of totally wrong ways. Unfortunately, the popularisation of our chosen chariot has led to a lot of sloppy players. I shall eradicate them all - MWHAHAHAHA![/quote]

What is the definition of correct playing? Is it something got to do with technique, ability, how basslines are structured in a song.......?
Just curious, this "correct way to play thing" always gets me muddled.

As someone who started out on guitar I can honestly say that to play both instruments to a high standard is far from easy. Fret w***ing may be annoying but it is something that takes a lot of practice to do well. Any musician who puts a lot of time and effort into his or her chosen instrument and becomes proficient should be commended IMO.

Its kinda like asking the fat kid who plays prop why he doesn't play centre.
Misconceptions can sometimes stick and become accepted over time.

[quote name='Mog' post='867580' date='Jun 14 2010, 10:36 PM']What is the definition of correct playing? Is it something got to do with technique, ability, how basslines are structured in a song.......?
Just curious, this "correct way to play thing" always gets me muddled.

As someone who started out on guitar I can honestly say that to play both instruments to a high standard is far from easy. Fret w***ing may be annoying but it is something that takes a lot of practice to do well. Any musician who puts a lot of time and effort into his or her chosen instrument and becomes proficient should be commended IMO.

Its kinda like asking the fat kid who plays prop why he doesn't play centre.
Misconceptions can sometimes stick and become accepted over time.[/quote]
Good one, man.

I think people get all dogmatic and think there are certain mentalities involved that can't change.

I was a guitar head, now I'm a bass head. What the f*** does it matter. I changed priorities. It takes a lot of work and spirit to do anything well. The trick is deciding what it is you want to do.

Not long ago I saw a Cream tribute band and the bassist, with his chin high Status, obviously thought he was the mutts nuts whilst he slapped and tapped his way through an hour and a bit of Cream songs. Afterwards I asked him how long he'd been playing ...15 years was his response as I sighed into my pint.

Bass is indeed a wonderful instrument but only when its played by a bassist who has a clue!

I'm sure I can't play double bass. I tried once, and as a guitar player first and bass second. The upright techique feels wrong to me.

I'm sure a few more of us would admit we can't play double bass although it's basically the same. :)

I do hate it when a guitarist picks up my bass and everyone listening can tell it sounds crap, fret buzz, clankedybclankmof the strings being plucked to hard. It's almost like they are hurting it.

I also feel the same about guitarists who use Drop D tuning. I'm aware that some player do it for the low D, however my bands drummer wrote a song in drop D because he can't play in standard.