Why become a member? ×

Tokai Talbo, as-new condition, rarer than a rare thing.

Bassassin

[b]UPDATE: Can't do it. Sale pulled.[/b]

[b]Tokai B-135 Talbo bass[/b]:

I bought this new, in a fit of lust from Rockers in Denmark Street in 2003. I'd never seen one in the flesh before & suspect I'll never see another. This has been barely played - it's in precisely the same condition now as it was when I bought it. There's a small scuff on the end of the headstock, which was there when I bought it:

But besides that it's immaculate. There are some slight casting marks here & there on the body - apparently this is a consequence of the manufacturing process, and they all have this to some extent.

I don't know if these are still available - [url="http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=6&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31"]Tokai UK still lists them[/url], but I've never seen another in the flesh apart from mine.

Anyway, some info. [b]T[/b]okai [b]AL[/b]uminium [b]BO[/b]dy is the Japronym derivation of the name, and apparently these are made from the same material as racing car engines. These originally appeared in the 80s, and were reissued in 2000. The body's hollow, so not incredibly heavy and the bass has an active EQ with volume, bass & treble controls. Sound-wise I'd say it's something like a Precision on steroids, but with a bright, slightly nasal growl. The EQ does allow for some fairly radical tweaking, to it's pretty versatile. The neck's more J than P - quite thin & 39mm at the nut.

Sorry - no longer for sale. I really don't want to part with this & I think I was being a bit hasty listing it. I'll live on beans for the rest of the year. :)

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='864462' date='Jun 11 2010, 04:27 PM']As crisis lurches into all-out financial disaster, I'm heartbroken to have to sell this:

[b]Tokai B-135 Talbo bass[/b]:

I bought this new, in a fit of lust from Rockers in Denmark Street in 2003. I'd never seen one in the flesh before & suspect I'll never see another. This has been barely played - it's in precisely the same condition now as it was when I bought it. There's a small scuff on the end of the headstock, which was there when I bought it:

But besides that it's immaculate. There are some slight casting marks here & there on the body - apparently this is a consequence of the manufacturing process, and they all have this to some extent.

I don't know if these are still available - [url="http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=6&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31"]Tokai UK still lists them[/url], but I've never seen another in the flesh apart from mine.

Anyway, some info. [b]T[/b]okai [b]AL[/b]uminium [b]BO[/b]dy is the Japronym derivation of the name, and apparently these are made from the same material as racing car engines. These originally appeared in the 80s, and were reissued in 2000. The body's hollow, so not incredibly heavy and the bass has an active EQ with volume, bass & treble controls. Sound-wise I'd say it's something like a Precision on steroids, but with a bright, slightly nasal growl. The EQ does allow for some fairly radical tweaking, to it's pretty versatile. The neck's more J than P - quite thin & 39mm at the nut.

The new price for this bass is £899 (if you can find one) and this is, to all intents & purposes new. I'm looking for [u][b]£650[/b][/u] and I'm happy to pack it up (neck off, I don't have a case for it) and post anywhere on planet Earth, or possibly beyond.

Can't really consider trades at the moment, unfortunately.

Jon.[/quote]
Where in the country are you

skez

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='864823' date='Jun 12 2010, 12:05 AM']That's about the coolest bass on the planet!!!
Good luck with the the sale dude.[/quote]

its about the oddest bass on the planet.

That's a beautiful thing.

Just noticed that Rock Factory seemingly have a ex-display one up for £699 if anyone is in the mood ...
[url="http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Gbg-toktal"]http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Gbg-toktal[/url]

I don't blame you for pulling this. This is such a rarity I doubt you'd ever be able to replace, especially in the condition your's is in.

Bassassin, I know you're a bit of an expert on all things Japanese, so I've got a trivia question for you. Which guitarist with a very famous Aussie band used to use the guitar model of the Talbo as his main guitar for many years?

[quote name='bassaussie' post='865029' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:22 AM']I don't blame you for pulling this. This is such a rarity I doubt you'd ever be able to replace, especially in the condition your's is in.

Bassassin, I know you're a bit of an expert on all things Japanese, so I've got a trivia question for you. Which guitarist with a very famous Aussie band used to use the guitar model of the Talbo as his main guitar for many years?[/quote]
That'll be the chap out of INXS, I expect....

......at least, that's what Google tells me. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='865045' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:41 AM']That'll be the chap out of INXS, I expect....

J.[/quote]

Spot on. Tim Farris, to be exact. He's the only person I can think of that I've seen using one on stage.

bizarre - I was watching an INXS vid on youtube last night and thought that it looked like the guitar version of this.

It is absolutely amazing looking and I'd be kicking myself if I had one and then sold it. Its one of those rare basses that you're meant to hold onto - all the other crap can go. Rare in the sense that so much passes through chez Delberthot but that's defintely a keeper and one even I'd hold onto

[quote name='Bassassin' post='865045' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:41 AM']That'll be the chap out of INXS, I expect....

J.[/quote]

are there even that many 'very famous australian bands'?

[quote name='fraff' post='865013' date='Jun 12 2010, 11:10 AM']That's a beautiful thing.

Just noticed that Rock Factory seemingly have a ex-display one up for £699 if anyone is in the mood ...
[url="http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Gbg-toktal"]http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Gbg-toktal[/url][/quote]

Oooh, tempting....

MB1. :)
Gotta Admit ive never actually seen a Bass Version!... didnt know they made them!..a Guitarist in a previous band had the guitar version which was a stunning Candy Apple Red Colour. Good Idea to Keep Hold me thinks!

[quote name='danbowskill' post='867402' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:33 PM']now he has pulled it i can be honest and say this bass look bloomin rancid(id feel a fool on stage)!! :rolleyes:
each to there own i guess?( i mean no dissrepect boys)[/quote]
No problem, opinions being like arseholes & all that. :)

So what do you play on stage that makes you feel not-foolish, then?

J.

[quote name='danbowskill' post='867402' date='Jun 14 2010, 08:33 PM']now he has pulled it i can be honest and say this bass look bloomin rancid(id feel a fool on stage)!! :)
each to there own i guess?( i mean no dissrepect boys)[/quote]

You mean it wasn't designed by Leo ?
Give me this and and a GUS bass and I'm in hog-heaven. Oh and maybe a few more other non-F basses, like the Guild b-301.....
I assume you ain't a Bongo fan either :rolleyes:

Each to their own.