Why become a member? ×

What gives 'punch' to your sound?

Mr. Foxen

I'm thinking of starting up another project bass, based on a jazz body most likely, I'm looking for a real punch in the guts sort of sound, my last project was built to growl and sustain, which was pretty successful. So, what gives the punch? I've been told bolt on neck, light bridge and light body, and MM style pickup. Anything to add, experiences, details, philosophy and luthier voodoo, etc?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='94355' date='Nov 26 2007, 12:19 AM']I'm thinking of starting up another project bass, based on a jazz body most likely, I'm looking for a real punch in the guts sort of sound, my last project was built to growl and sustain, which was pretty successful. So, what gives the punch? I've been told bolt on neck, light bridge and light body, and MM style pickup. Anything to add, experiences, details, philosophy and luthier voodoo, etc?[/quote]

I would think that a heavy duty bridge such as a bad ass 2 style bridge would definately give more punch than a light bridge. MM style pickup makes sense , if possible one in the normal MM position for the MM style bite and punch and another MM style p/up near the neck for some thump

Perhaps a Maple fretboard?
Strings make a difference. Look for something really "responsive" (If you know what I mean- They react quickly and accurately to player input)
Otherwise (judging from my own basses), "hotter" basses seem to be punchier. Higher output may help your cause. Whether that's achieved by hot passives, warm pick-ups & an 18v EQ (for headroom rather than gain), or active pick-ups and active EQ is a matter for personal choice.

I once read that body shape has an impact on sound. I think the rationale was that;

"For a bass of a given mass (and even density), a more compact (but necessarily thicker) body gives a punchier sound. A broader, flatter (and thinner) design gives a more open, expansive sound"

Sound like rubbish? Think about Warwick Thumbs and Active Jazzes...

Which leads to another Warwick related point;
Harder body woods should give a more immediate attack and "snap" to the sound. I own a Zebrano-bodied Warwick Infinity SN4. Compact body, fashioned from a (very) heavy and hard wood. That has some punch, and it doesn't have the headroom of an 18v EQ, as it's a 9-volter.

I don't think that neck-thru/bolt on/glued in has as much impact as some people think. Certainly not in the "punch" department.

Wow, this is being conclusive. My punchiest bass is a peavey 5-string with through body stinging, big heavy body and passive humbuckers. Taperwound strings might be a factor in this case. Think my pre butchered Westone Thunder will get the punch experiment treatment. Once I have a neck sorted, drop a bridge position MM humbucker in it, see what that does.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='94355' date='Nov 26 2007, 12:19 AM']I'm thinking of starting up another project bass, based on a jazz body most likely, I'm looking for a real punch in the guts sort of sound, my last project was built to growl and sustain, which was pretty successful. So, what gives the punch? I've been told bolt on neck, light bridge and light body, and MM style pickup. Anything to add, experiences, details, philosophy and luthier voodoo, etc?[/quote]
With that spec you might as well buy a Warwick Rockbass streamer basic. You might find it lacks a little warmth however. I'd suggest a stiff neck and soft body, make your own mind up about the woods. :)

I have an all Maple bodied Streamer (maple neck, ebony fingerboard) that packs more punch than any of my other non-maple basses. I realise you can't say that it is definately the maple that is giving the punch (assisted by the ebony?) but I've always had more punch out of the maple bodied basses that I've had than the bubinga or afzelia ones. I agree the bolt on theory does lend itself to even more attack/punch.

For Me ... i seem to get a punchy sound...
with high action and heavier strings....no matter what bass.
Another factor to consider....

But of course we are all different beast's...
so forget what i have just said :)

I must admit though....ye olde MM style Pup does seem to Punch
it out a bit...

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='95842' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:18 PM']Wow, this is being conclusive. My punchiest bass is a peavey 5-string with through body stinging, big heavy body and passive humbuckers. Taperwound strings might be a factor in this case. Think my pre butchered Westone Thunder will get the punch experiment treatment. Once I have a neck sorted, drop a bridge position MM humbucker in it, see what that does.[/quote]

That really does all add up to some punch...me thinks.. :)

Garry