Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BG500

SuperMaximo

Haven't seen any discussion on these... I seem to be the only person on the internet that has played on one :lol:

Well I was lucky enough to go to Manson's yesterday (great shop btw, staff are really friendly and are happy to let you try the huge amount of gear they have) with the purpose of deciding which amp I'll be buying in the next couple of months. I only tried two amps :lol: The first was the Hartke LH500, which has great reviews, with a Hydrive 410. It was [i]okaaaay[/i] IMO. I could get some nice sounds out of it (as you can see from my smile in my picture ^_^ ) but it didn't really blow me away. I was disappointed (I did take into account the fact that the amp had vintage style tone controls, but it just wasn't for me I don't think)

I was then enthusiastically encouraged to try the new TC BG500 combos that had just come in. Plugged into the 115 version. I was a bit hesitant at first because I was really after a head and cab config but I played with it for a few minutes and was really impressed! I could dial in the exact tones I wanted in a few seconds; deep and warm tones for walking jazz lines, hifi Marcus style slap tones, rock tones, etc. I really liked every feature on this amp. Tweetertone and contours were good, and the memory feature seems really useful. The compressor sounds great, one knob; the first compressor I understand how to use :lol: Tubetone is really cool, gives me the feeling I'm using a real tube amp. The way I like to think of it is using the Tubetone knob to set how dirty your 'tubes' are and then using the gain to 'drive' them (yeah, you could just set the gain and use the Tubetone as an OD knob, but I like pretending that this is a real tube amp :lol:) This and the tuner will eliminate the need for my pedals. 500w is more power then I'll ever need, which is great. It's quite heavy but not as heavy as my Peavey, which is pleasing. I can actually carry it myself (just about).

I think I ended up spending an hour on this amp, its so fun to use! I didn't feel the urge to try anything else out after that :lol: I asked for the price and I was really surprised that it was only £570 (the Rebelhead is £800 on its own :)). The Rebelhead has all the features this has and more, but the BG500 a TC amp that I actually have a chance of affording :lol: This combo is half the price of a Rebelhead and matching cab. I didn't compare it with the Rebelhead but I can't see it being much different soundwise.

I hope that covers everything... I'm really enthusiastic about this combo and will be picking one up as soon as I can :rolleyes:

Edited by SuperMaximo

ive been tempted by these, just seen them online and not had a go of one. i'm after an orange terror bass and not decided on cab but i was interested in these because of the good power, apparently good sound, will be cheaper than a terror bass and a cab and the ease of use / portability of a combo.

I reckon this combo will be able to replicate the sounds of the Orange. It may sound even tubier than the Orange as those Terrors only have a preamp tube, while the TC's Tubetone simulates both pre and power tubes. The TC is probably more versatile as well, from what I've read and heard the Orange is very much a rock head while the TC can do just about anything. Can't compare the weight and portability as it all depends on the cab to match the Orange

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='hen barn' post='877782' date='Jun 25 2010, 09:25 PM']ive been looking at these??? do i go for this or the 450 classic[/quote]
The BG500 seems better value as it's a similar price but has more features and a speaker... But if you want portability go for the Classic I guess

[quote name='walbassist' post='878385' date='Jun 26 2010, 08:04 PM']Or the weight...[/quote]

70.5 pounds! Heavier than my 4X10 and amp head (in rack case) combined! Get ye to the gym! :)

Edit: Er, actually it isn't. But close!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='walbassist' post='878385' date='Jun 26 2010, 08:04 PM']Or the weight....[/quote]
Ah yes the weight is a bit weighty. 70.5lbs (or around 40kg for the young folk), your not going to want to fall out with band members if you need to get it moved. :)

[quote name='Marcus' post='878700' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:52 AM']You lot are anorexic !![/quote]

Anorexic no, weedy yes :)
[quote name='SuperMaximo' post='883944' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:36 PM']Wow, topic is on the TC website :lol: [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg500reviews.asp"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg500reviews.asp[/url][/quote]
:lol:
People to take notice of us then. I'm going to watch what I say a bit more from now on :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Marvin' post='878478' date='Jun 26 2010, 09:39 PM']Ah yes the weight is a bit weighty. 70.5lbs ([b]or around 40kg for the young folk[/b]), your not going to want to fall out with band members if you need to get it moved. :)[/quote]

you 're 8 kilos wrong - it's 32 kg.

however, dont those numbers puts you off buying this truly unbeliveable amp! as someone said, have your way to the gym, it will serve you good anyway haha! I just purchased an BG500 (with 2x10) today! the amp is great - like it's "big brother" classic or RH, it sounds awesome - lots of character, bottom, clarity, articulation...you name it. and what a power!
I hear some forum people talking "they should go with 750w" or so... I think this lil guy can cover any stage we are playing on. very loud!!!!

I previously had TC classic head with 2x12 and sold it, regretably ofcourse...so when I saw my retailer has this new combo, I jumped immediatelly to buy it.
no doubt, the price is low as it's been made in China, but the quality seems perfect.

I like it! (obviously)

Sounds like TC Electronics are doing well!

I remember being quite impressed when I tried the RH and Classic450 heads with my Kubicki. If I had one complaint it's that they didn't do much to produce a sparkling, wonderful top end. However, if you were going for an early 80's American R&B sound (think "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" by Diana Ross) I'd go for one of these.

• 7 months later...

Just bought one. I played with both the 1x15 and 2x10 versions and I must say that the slap and pop on the 2x10 was far brighter and more responsive than the single 15. It is heavy, but not as heavy as my old Trace-Elliot and unlike the TE comfortably out-shouts my very loud drummer. The presets are really useful when I swap between my American Standard JB and my Bass-Collection (SGC-Nanyo) active fretless. I can't fault the amp in any way at all and tried Genz-Benz, Thunderfunk, Orange and Ibanez Promethean before settling on the TC. I can't praise it highly enough. Just buy one dammit!

• 5 weeks later...

I have been using the 210 version for almost a year now and can't really fault it. I find It's very versatile in it's sounds (maybe because I had been using a Trace Elliot GP 12 for the past 20 years lol)
It could be a bit heavy for some, but for me it lives at rehersals and only gets carted off to gigs a couple of times a month, It's nice and feature rich if your looking for a combo.