Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BG500

SuperMaximo

I'd say you'd be doing the wrong thing! The BG500 is ok for a budget amp whereas a MB should be quality gear. (never owned a MB, but heard them a lot)
My BG is now my home practice amp, it was missing some low end and punch for the sound I was after. It's been fairly reliable for a chinese made amp, tho I have lost a couple of the small preset memory buttons which is a bit of a pain, but I can dial the sounds in pretty easy now, knowing the amp. The post DI out seemed to distort/overdrive the signal a bit on mine as well, but gave it a colour to the sound I didn't mind.
My advice would be don't downgrade... if your looking to change amps keep it with the better know/ proven models.

• 2 months later...

tc electronics bg500 combo review i play double bass and use a 4x10 and a 700w head and the bg500 2x10 kicks its arse it has serious power and tone shaping i can save my dialed in settings for one double bass, then put my second double bass and save the settings and just swap basses with the touch of a button ,i have always used amps with graphics but this just beats the graphic handsdown , the built in tuner isnt the best tuner ive ever used ,this is a serious bass combo i cannot get the vol past 4 without a serious ear bashing, the bass bottom end is as good as any 4x10 bass cab what an amp for the money i would advise anyone playing double bass to try one of these amps, i use a k&k bass max pickup the one without the slap pickup and it is totally matched to the amp awsome sound

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been using the 2x10 version extensively for over two years now and I think it is really great. Like some others here on the forum I sold my old tried and tested Trace Elliot gear and switched to the BG500 combo.

Lovely features, great tones...very very loud. Whats not to like? Perhaps a little bit heavy, but not an issue for old schoolers like me who cut their teeth lugging 150 watt amps around in the bad old days that weighed around the same as a family car!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought one of these bg500 210as it looked like a good practice room combo to avoid hugging the rig.
Jesus ******* christ. :crazy:
just how loud are these damned amps.
I have a firebird 700w head, a 4x10 and a 1x15 and this ruddy combo hammers the rig, really hammers it !.
I now have a real bass rig dilema, the rig looks great, but this silly little practice combo I bought, is louder, sounds cleaner and I can put it in the carboot with the seats still up.
Anyone else use one for gigging where you had a big rig before.

Looks like something Tandy would sell, but ruddy nora, does it crack out some power.