Why become a member? ×

A Special sounding delay

colinmk

Wondering if anyone can help me out, I'm looking to get a new delay, the one I use is an Ibanez dm1100, think it is on the blink though so need a new one. Don't think I'll get the same one because even though I LOVE the delay sound of it, it can be very noisy and they are old so pretty unreliable.

Would quite like one with a tap delay on it too for ease of use live although the sound is more important. I am looking at a space echo, the sounds I want are dark and quite ambient for a song I do with harmonics and another song which is dark and powerful. The bass riff is the main driving force in the tune and it sounds great with a bit of delay on it to fill the place up.

Any ideas?

[quote name='crez5150' post='858997' date='Jun 6 2010, 04:12 PM']You could try and hunt down a TC 2290 which would be great but may cost..... or try one of the less expensive TC Nova Delay pedals..[/quote]

Had a quick look, a grand!!! can't afford that for a delay man. I have never really liked the sound of TC stuff in comparison to Lexicon that I have used in the studio however I haven't heard their delay only stuff. I'm only looking to pay up to about £150 or maybe more if it is good enough to be used for vocals etc in the studio.

I'm currently using a "Marshall Eco-Head" as my main delay, there is no hold function on it and i got rid of my Boss DD3 some time ago so just this week brought one of these :

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-DD400-Digital-Delay-FREE-POSTAGE-/140410909330?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20b1247292"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Behringer-DD400-Digi...=item20b1247292[/url]

The build quality of them being plastic, an the blue LED light on it is so bright i was seeing yellow spots for 10mins after first plugging it in (thats not a joke).
But that aside for less than £30 new it actually is a really nice sounding pedal and does far more than i need it to do, check one out if you get a chance , if you can look past the name it does sound pretty good.

[quote name='colinmk' post='859028' date='Jun 6 2010, 04:40 PM']Had a quick look, a grand!!! can't afford that for a delay man. I have never really liked the sound of TC stuff in comparison to Lexicon that I have used in the studio however I haven't heard their delay only stuff. I'm only looking to pay up to about £150 or maybe more if it is good enough to be used for vocals etc in the studio.[/quote]

Lexicon for Reverberation.... you can't beat them..... TC for Delay IMO

Nova Repeater (TC)

No nonsense, great great delay! Ive been looking for a small delay pedal with digital and analog simulation built in, and this pedal nails it. It also has some other great features. You wont get a better delay for £120.

Comes with its own power supply as well.

Im very happy with it and it works well for bass or guitar, (although I bought it mainly for guitar).

Edited by Musicman20

Personal pref is for the Subdecay Echobox just the right amount of dark and analogyness :)

Here's a clip of me playing one without the modulation stuff on

[url="http://www.grygrx.net/Pedal%20Reviews/Subdecay/Echo%20Box/Subdecay%20Echo%20Box.mp3"]http://www.grygrx.net/Pedal%20Reviews/Subd...0Echo%20Box.mp3[/url]

[quote name='colinmk' post='860603' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:47 AM']A lot of these suggestions sound good actually, does the TC nova have a tap function on it?[/quote]

The Nova Repeater does for sure. I'm pretty sure that the Nova Delay does too.

[quote name='Doddy' post='860607' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:03 AM']The Nova Repeater does for sure. I'm pretty sure that the Nova Delay does too.[/quote]

+1

It also has the option to 'strum' instead of tap the tempo....which I prefer.

I spent ages looking and realised I actually prefer digital delay, (which was a shock).

I do like analog for some 'dirty' repeats and self oscillation, but I use digital for writing.