Why become a member? ×

Yay - poll time! Sid: maple or rosewood

Clarky

If I've got to be serious, then Maple.
The rosewood on Paul Simenon's seems to 'fit' better as it's got the black headstock. Just my opinion of course, and what do I know I play an Ibanez :) and it's bright red and I don't like bright red basses. Oh bl00dy hell! :rolleyes: :lol:

Hope that helps.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='856069' date='Jun 3 2010, 01:32 PM']I prefer the look of the maple but if you are going to call it Sid then surely it needs to be rosewood?[/quote]
Well, it started out as a Pistols-alike bass, hence "Sid" (might even have been jonthebass who named it), but has since turned into a Paul Simenon tribute (hence cream DiMarzio p/u). Simenon played with both maple and rosewood necks, hence my prevaricating here.

But I don't think anyone would want to call their bass "Paul" do you? :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='856093' date='Jun 3 2010, 01:53 PM']Nope, it's definitely a "Sid" so get that maple abomination off and restore the "Sid"! :)[/quote]
I am erring that way. Had the maple neck been amber'd/yellow'd with age and varnished (like a good ol' 70s Precision) it would have been a tough call, but the more I look at it, the more this maple neck looks a bit too pale and new to me.

[quote name='RhysP' post='856318' date='Jun 3 2010, 05:27 PM']Has to be maple.
All Fenders look sh*t with rosewood boards, basses & guitars.
If my only musical instrument option was a Fender with a rosewood board it would make me so unhappy I would give up playing.[/quote]
Best not click on the links to my other basses in my sig then!

i dont know if anyones mentioned this already do im sorry if they have but i think it really depends on the bass....... For me; 5 string-maple, musicman stingray- maple, fender jazz and p basses - rosewood .... Dont know why but thats just the way it has to be :)

OK, thanks everyone for contributing. I think I am going to go back to the original rosewood neck, which is the clear majority view.

As I said earlier, would have been a tougher call if the maple board had a vintage vibe but it just looks a bit pale and new to me next to the aged and battered body (the bass, not mine)