Why become a member? ×

Full range, front ported cabs

Sibob

Thinking that I may...possibly..... look at a new cab. I love my Ashdowns, but thinking of something that can push a bit more air for my originals project.

I'm a bit of a noob with cabs, I've used these Ashdowns for about 6 years and not wanted for anything else. So with the exception of doing a few gigs with the touring Barefaced Big One & Compact, thats all I've gigged in that time!

So I think I'm after a full range, front ported cab, not fussed as to whether it's 4 or 8 ohms, my Orange head is switchable.
Not fussed on speaker sizes. Would prefer to stay light-weight and small, but I understand there's a limit.
I basically need something that will handle low B's nicely, and some synth bass without breaking up.

Choices? :)

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='848434' date='May 26 2010, 01:16 PM']Thinking that I may...possibly..... look at a new cab. I love my Ashdowns, but thinking of something that can push a bit more air for my originals project.

I'm a bit of a noob with cabs, I've used these Ashdowns for about 6 years and not wanted for anything else. So with the exception of doing a few gigs with the touring Barefaced Big One & Compact, thats all I've gigged in that time!

So I think I'm after a full range, front ported cab, not fussed as to whether it's 4 or 8 ohms, my Orange head is switchable.
Not fussed on speaker sizes. Would prefer to stay light-weight and small, but I understand there's a limit.
I basically need something that will handle low B's nicely, and some synth bass without breaking up.

Choices? :)

Cheers
Si[/quote]
BF Vintage :rolleyes:

[quote name='Merton' post='848645' date='May 26 2010, 04:29 PM']BF Vintage :)[/quote]

yup yup yup! Although, Im tempted not to post this until someone has posted something in-between - two barefaced recommendations in a row is pitchfork-worthy. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, Aguilar GS 410/12? how much you gonna spend Mr?

Would like to *Try* and keep sizes down! :)

But thanks, yes I'm aware of Barefaced as an option, what others are on the market?

Not sure, £500 perhaps, I don't need anything super mega high range, just something that competes with the sound I get from both my Ashdown 4x8 and 1x15.....in one cab :rolleyes:.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='848691' date='May 26 2010, 05:08 PM']....I think lightweight is a must currently.... are all bass cabs full range?....[/quote]
Heavy cabs are so last year!

Discounting BFB cabs, you'll probably get the widest tone range from a good 4x10. My choice of neo 410's would go Bergantino, Epifani, err! 2 210's would do the same job in smaller and more flexible chunks, but could be more expensive than one 410.

I wouldn't discount BFB cabs though!

I'd go for 2 GS112's. They are small and compact so an easy carry at 42lbs each. Both will fit in the boot of most coupe's.
Full sounding and you might be able to pick up 2 second hand ones for around £500 as they crop up here from time to time.
With a 500w amp into 4 ohms..you'll not run out of volume unless the band is deaf..IMO.

[quote name='Sibob' post='848434' date='May 26 2010, 01:16 PM']Choices? :)[/quote]

If your cabs are Ashdown ABM's, your best choice by miles is to replace the drivers with modern neos. That way, you'll cut the weight and boost the potential output for a fraction of the cost of buying something else.

[quote name='stevie' post='848891' date='May 26 2010, 08:43 PM']If your cabs are Ashdown ABM's, your best choice by miles is to replace the drivers with modern neos. That way, you'll cut the weight and boost the potential output for a fraction of the cost of buying something else.[/quote]

Then you open the whole speaker replacement and cab tuning thing again.

EBS ProLine 4x10 - [i]but[/i] - it ain't lightweight by any stretch of the imagination (a hernia-inducing 88lbs, last time I checked). Will give your 4x8 and 1x15 a good run for it's money, and can be picked up s/h for reasonable cash.

HTH, Ian

Yeha, definitly looking for something that isn't heavy.

I say I'm after Full Range because I'm not bothered about the 'sound' of different size speakers...if that even exists (Alex says it doesn't :) )...I just want a cab that will give a full sound regardless of speakers.
But again, I'm kinda coming at this as a layman really, I've spent 6 years playing one type of cab, so aside from the 6 gigs or so I've done with the Barefaced, I've got no gigging time with anything else.

Cheers
Si

Go DIY! Alright, it's not the 'easy life' option. But I decided what speakers I fancied (Fane Sovereigns) and then found an enclosure that would suit them, according to WinISD. In my instance, I was able to reuse some PA cabs that were pretty much perfect and only cost me £30 off the 'bay.

Like I say, it's not a quick win - but I had a lot of fun doing it.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='850127' date='May 28 2010, 10:14 AM']Go DIY! Alright, it's not the 'easy life' option. But I decided what speakers I fancied (Fane Sovereigns) and then found an enclosure that would suit them, according to WinISD. In my instance, I was able to reuse some PA cabs that were pretty much perfect and only cost me £30 off the 'bay.

Like I say, it's not a quick win - but I had a lot of fun doing it.[/quote]

+1

You end with exactly what you want/need!

The knowledge is all here on BC..... :)