Why become a member? ×

Passive headless bass?

MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='92606' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:14 AM']I've been looking for a headless bass that is passive. Can't seem to find one, apart from various custom jobs.
Anyone know of any?[/quote]

Hi Daddy-O,

My Hohner B2AV is active, with treble and bass controls, but if you take the battery out it becomes a passive bass with no tone controls at all!

How cool is that?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='92606' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:14 AM']I've been looking for a headless bass that is passive. Can't seem to find one, apart from various custom jobs.
Anyone know of any?

cheers![/quote]

get headless instrument of choiuce, strip off active electronics, run passive wiring to pickups.
voila.

Most of the popular branded headless have pickups that will run in a passive set up, unless they are EMG active pickups like in the Steinberger bats. I may be wrong but I think a Status pickup will run in a passive set up.

You can spec up a Status Smart Bass with passive electronics on www.status-graphite.com in the Online Shop section,
Comes in at £760 with a single P pickup, an ash body and chrome hardware.
More pickups and other stuff puts the price up though...

Just a thought though,
Eude

Ummm, there is this....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-XZ2-4-String-Bass-HoneyBurst-translucent_W0QQitemZ130170272404QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-XZ2-4-St...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I used to have one of these a few years ago, and it wasn't at all bad- the hardware looked to be proper Steinberger stuff (the bridge/tuner was superbly made), and overall it was very nicely finished. Can't remember raving about the tone at the time though.

Cheers,

Si

[quote name='Musky' post='92628' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:38 AM']The Hohner B2 and Jack are both passive headless basses.[/quote]

The Hohner B2 comes in various models I think, some passive, some active. I've got a very old and beaten up one, which is actually really nice to play. Its switchable from active to passive. You can ususally find one or two on e-bay.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='93261' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:05 PM']Music Yo have these in stock amongst other things.
ive got one and it sounds great although im not allowed to usee it with my band
[url="http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=053"]Spirit[/url][/quote]

I had the 5-string XZ-25 and it was a pretty good instrument. Wish I still had it for microstage work so the vocalist didn't keep getting an earful of Antoniotsai headstock. Comfortable neck which felt very, very solid.

[quote name='tauzero' post='93383' date='Nov 23 2007, 04:04 PM']I had the 5-string XZ-25 and it was a pretty good instrument. Wish I still had it for microstage work so the vocalist didn't keep getting an earful of Antoniotsai headstock. Comfortable neck which felt very, very solid.[/quote]

yes, i had two of them (long story but i got them both for nothing from MY) and also regret selling them.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='93261' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:05 PM']although im not allowed to usee it with my band[/quote]
:) why????

I used to have a five, in white, it was nice to play, but it sounded a bit thin, but that could have been down to my amp at the time

[quote name='steve' post='93463' date='Nov 23 2007, 06:26 PM']:) why????

I used to have a five, in white, it was nice to play, but it sounded a bit thin, but that could have been down to my amp at the time[/quote]

Mainly because to them it represents the 80's and thats not really the image we are going for.
Of course if i turned up with it i would get the mick taken but they wouldn't actually stop me from using it, just frown on it.

[quote name='Wil' post='95525' date='Nov 28 2007, 11:09 AM']If I used a headless in my band I would be laughed off stage, which is a shame, as I'd like one :) It goes with being in a punk rock band though.[/quote]

nah, just cover it with stickers and paint on an Anarchy symbol and you'll be ok :huh:

cheers for the replies, there are a lot of options to consider. At the moment I'm having a custom passive headless built (there is a thread in the diaries) and I'm thinking that when it's finished, I'd want something similar - but cheaper - as a spare.
I may try and source a Kramer Duke, IIRC that's the one with the tuners on the bottom?

A couple of points to note if you're after a Kramer Duke, and yes it is the one with the standard tuners at the body end.

1. They're short scale (30"). I like short scale basses and the Duke works very well maybe due to the aluminium neck, but I realise that short scale isn't for everyone.

2. There are some copies floating about both badged as Hondo Alien and completely unbadged as well. They're not bad (I have one of the unbadged ones), but they're not of the same quality as the Kramer ones. The Kramers have proper Schaller tuners and Bridge, while the copies have less robust look-a-likes. The easiest way to tell a Kramer from a copy is that the Kramers have the logo and serial number on the neck plate and the copies have blank neck plates. Also the neck end string retainer is held in place by a single bolt on the Kramers, the copies have two. The 'Duke' for sale recently on eBay was a copy despite what the seller was claiming...

HTH

[quote name='Wil' post='95525' date='Nov 28 2007, 11:09 AM']If I used a headless in my band I would be laughed off stage, which is a shame, as I'd like one :) It goes with being in a punk rock band though.[/quote]

nobody laughed when i played this bass. i'm in a punk band, the bassist with Guns On The Roof played it for a gig in aberdeen and wanted to buy it.
anyway, why cant you use a headless with a punk band?

[quote name='16Again' post='96050' date='Nov 29 2007, 11:31 AM']nobody laughed when i played this bass. i'm in a punk band, the bassist with Guns On The Roof played it for a gig in aberdeen and wanted to buy it.
anyway, why cant you use a headless with a punk band?
[/quote]

That's very cool!

I guess a lot of people can't get over quite how uncool Mark King made them look, though!