Why become a member? ×

For Sale: Alleva Coppolo LG-5 - SOLD

Toasted

Fabulous bass, can't rate Jimmy Coppolo's work highly enough :)

Really comes alive in a band situation as well and that pre-amp is super flexible - everything from those classic J tones through to a much more 'modern' sound if required.

The DN board is super rare & no longer available as all the sources of wood are exhausted - varying quotes on the cost of these as an upgrade but generally believed to be between $1,000 & $1,500 ov er the standard LG classic.

About the closest you'd get to one of these now would be Jimmy's Classic Supreme range which would come in at over $6,000. The DN board would be a further upgrade on one of these so a total cost could be pushing $6,500 - $7,000.

At today's money that's £4,500+ without allowing for shipping and import duties (which would add another £1,000!).

[quote name='Toasted' post='840878' date='May 18 2010, 02:19 PM']Keith, from the knob closest the pickguard: Vol / Vol / Vintage Tone Control / Treble / Bass

I could bring it over one night this week if you'd like a play? It's a really nice bass.[/quote]

You know that's going to end badly for him you drug pusher you

[quote name='Toasted' post='840878' date='May 18 2010, 02:19 PM']Keith, from the knob closest the pickguard: Vol / Vol / Vintage Tone Control / Treble / Bass

I could bring it over one night this week if you'd like a play? It's a really nice bass.[/quote]

That VTC is the killer control - really sweet operation and lets you set up a core tone & then just gradually roll high end off depending on individual song requirements :)

Saves a lot of faffing about with bass / treble & amp controls to cover a hell of a lot of live gigging requirements!

Does the vintage tone control crackle? :)

I'm gigging at the West Park tonight, if you fancy coming over I could try it on a few tunes

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='840985' date='May 18 2010, 03:35 PM']Okay, what's DN?

Not everyone will know I suspect.

Peter[/quote]

Dalbergia nigra [i](or negra)[/i]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Bahia Rosewood, Brazilian Rosewood, Rio Rosewood, Jacarandá De Brasil, Pianowood, Caviuna, or Obuina (Dalbergia nigra) is a species of legume in the Fabaceae family. It is found only in Brazil, from the eastern forests of Bahia to Rio de Janeiro. It is threatened by habitat loss, since most of its habitat has been converted to farmland. Due to its endangered status, it is CITES-listed, and illegal to trade.

As with other kinds of rosewood, this timber is very hard and dense. It is used for flooring, and for building furniture, wands and [b]musical instruments[/b]. It is also used for turnery such as wooden chess sets, bowls, platters, candlesticks, etc.

Basically it's a particularly rare form of rosewood that is no longer available because it's endangered. Very desirable tonewood & lovely finish making it sounds great and really nice to play.

Carried a big price premium when available!

Thank you Molan.

Some ebony is also becoming illegal to trade I believe.

Being a Status player I'll pass on the significance of the 'tonewood' side of things myself though :)

It's a stunningly beautiful bass and I've no doubt that it sound superb though.

Edited by GreeneKing

I think the 'tonewood' thing is just the fact that it's a particularly dense form of rosewood

Probably about as close as you can get to the density and strength of a Stus board whilst still being wood :)

It's also really nice to look at and play, just a lovely piece of wood really.

I don't know how long Jimmy had this in stock but I think he's a very responsible user of wood and it would have been from before it became banned from further use.

I have owned two LG5 Alleva's one with a DN Board and the other with an Indian Rosewood board and they were definately different tonally even to my abused ears. The DN board is fuller and darker sounding whereas the Indian Rosewood is snappier.

Plus the DN boards smell of chocolate :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...