Why become a member? ×

Henry "King Thumb" Thomas

stingrayfan

Whatever happened to Henry "King Thumb" Thomas, bass-playing star of BBC 80s show, Rockschool? I just stumbled on some clips of the show on YouTube and it gave me a scary flashback to sitting in front of a Betamax VCR, getting ready to press record. Anyone interested in nostalgia should watch from 2'30 in on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqL5_ieIUI&feature=related"]this[/url] clip. Nice early G&L L2000 too!

yay! rockschool used to rule back in the day! not sure what he's up to these days - that guitarist woman Deidre Cartwright (?) was on the radio a few months ago - shes got some jazz albums out as a solo artist - i'm guessing shes not still wearing the jumpsuits!!!

peace

c

[quote name='neilb' post='91288' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:47 AM']He was the bassist that Bros used IIRC................Im not a fan before you accuse me!![/quote]
Well you seem to know some trivia about them that the rest of us didn't know (unless anyone else will own up to knowing that :) )

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Ha! That was a great program! I still have a vid lurking somewhere with the series on I'm sure.

What I always remember is in the 2nd series (there was a 2nd series wasn't there??) they started to get a bit more techno and began using gadgets, except the drummer who was seriously against drum machines, electronics etc.. it was obvious he was worried that a black box with lights and beep beep sounds was going to put him out of a job!

Well, it made me chuckle :)

Mark.

I still have the rock and funk episodes of Rockschool on VHS.

Rockschool also did a tour of live shows and having seen/heard Henry giving it loads on his Westone Thunder III, the decision on what bass I had to have was an easy one.

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='Marky L' post='91300' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:00 AM']What I always remember is in the 2nd series (there was a 2nd series wasn't there??) they started to get a bit more techno and began using gadgets, except the drummer who was seriously against drum machines, electronics etc.. it was obvious he was worried that a black box with lights and beep beep sounds was going to put him out of a job![/quote]
I thought that the drummer showed a MIDI kit, using it to play a melody on at some point, and either Deidre Cartwright or Henry Thomas used a MIDI guitar/bass to play drums.

[quote name='Krysbass' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:51 PM' post='91422']
I still have the rock and funk episodes of Rockschool on VHS.

I'm sure I heard that Henry Thomas did a stint as Shakatak's bassist at one point, but not sure if this is correct.

Rockschool also did a tour of live shows and having seen/heard Henry giving it loads on his Westone Thunder III, the decision on what bass I had to have was an easy one.

MB1. :)
You didnt go with the Westone then!
George Anderson JR was, and still is Shakataks long time bassist and a long time Jaydee user(got together with John Diggins to create the Jaydee studio model the G.A),dont know anything about Henry depping though!

MB1. :huh:
You didnt go with the Westone then!
George Anderson JR was, and still is Shakataks long time bassist and a long time Jaydee user(got together with John Diggins to create the Jaydee studio model the G.A),dont know anything about Henry depping though!
[/quote]

For a few minutes, I thought about jacking in bass totally after seeing Henry Thomas play. Mark King nearly had the same effect on me, so getting myself a half-decent bass was my attempt to make sure I stuck with it, which maybe goes to prove that GAS can be useful. :huh:

Re. Shakatak, looks like I was fed some duff info there - have to say that I saw Shakatak live around 1981 and I don't recall it being HT doing the bass then either. That wraps that mystery up then. :)

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='Krysbass' post='91422' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:51 PM']I still have the rock and funk episodes of Rockschool on VHS.

I'm sure I heard that Henry Thomas did a stint as Shakatak's bassist at one point, but not sure if this is correct.

Rockschool also did a tour of live shows and having seen/heard Henry giving it loads on his Westone Thunder III, the decision on what bass I had to have was an easy one.[/quote]
He also did a stint with paul weller just before the wildwood album.

I've just spoke to a friend of mine who knows him, she spoke to him a couple of days ago.

He's still about, he still teaches and does sessions. He's been playing with a couple of Jazz bands in London, Morissey Mullen, and Pazz. Also he isn't online yet, but will be told we are remembering him in cyber space, it'll make him happy!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='91281' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:32 AM']Whatever happened to Henry "King Thumb" Thomas, bass-playing star of BBC 80s show, Rockschool? I just stumbled on some clips of the show on YouTube and it gave me a scary flashback to sitting in front of a Betamax VCR, getting ready to press record. Anyone interested in nostalgia should watch from 2'30 in on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqL5_ieIUI&feature=related"]this[/url] clip. Nice early G&L L2000 too![/quote]

When I lived in North London, Henry who lived about 2 miles away, was my bass teacher for about a year in 1995. He really helped me get my playing back on track after I'd stopped for about 3 years and was very rusty.. Great bloke, totally relaxed attitude to life, music, etc and told me that he took up bass after studying the cello which surprised me..

He did play with Paul Weller for a time and there are a few stories to tell about his treatment by 'the management' which I won't repeat here, but suffice to say, it doesn't reflect too well on PW.

• Like 1

My library has a VHS tape introduced by Jools Holland called 'introduction to bass' (or something like that), and Henry's the guy strutting his stuff on that same natural G&L.

I didn't find it very informative, but if I was a beginner I might've.
It did make me laugh though, especially some of the faces he pulls whilst playing.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='91789' date='Nov 20 2007, 08:27 PM']I've just spoke to a friend of mine who knows him, she spoke to him a couple of days ago. He's still about, he still teaches and does sessions. He's been playing with a couple of Jazz bands in London, Morissey Mullen, and Pazz. Also he isn't online yet, but will be told we are remembering him in cyber space, it'll make him happy![/quote]
Great, can she also ask him if he's still got that early G&L and does he want to swap a Stingray for it?

What? :)

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Marky L' post='91300' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:00 AM']Ha! That was a great program! I still have a vid lurking somewhere with the series on I'm sure.

What I always remember is in the 2nd series (there was a 2nd series wasn't there??) they started to get a bit more techno and began using gadgets, except the drummer who was seriously against drum machines, electronics etc.. it was obvious he was worried that a black box with lights and beep beep sounds was going to put him out of a job!

Well, it made me chuckle :)

Mark.[/quote]

I remember that series (especially the one on funk with clips of Bootsy and Nile Rogers).

I'm pretty sure that there was a second series and they introduced a keyboard player.

I had the Rockschool book and took a bass lesson with Henry at his house back in 1995.

[quote name='thebassmandave' post='106832' date='Dec 20 2007, 05:30 AM']I had the Rockschool book and took a bass lesson with Henry at his house back in 1995.[/quote]
Was that when he was living in Edmonton, North London, because that's where I had some lessons with him?

[quote name='paul h' post='106934' date='Dec 20 2007, 10:26 AM']Can't somebody get Mr. Thomas down to an internet cafe and join him up to BassChat? He was obviously a big inspiration to a lot of us of a certain age.

I for one would like to say thanks and shake his e-hand!

p.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='106958' date='Dec 20 2007, 03:04 AM']Was that when he was living in Edmonton, North London, because that's where I had some lessons with him?[/quote]

Yes I'm sure it was.

I remember there was a problem with the tubes running that day, so I got off at Seven Sisters station (I think it was) and walked the rest of the way.

The street Warwick Ave seems to come to mind, I guess 'cos it reminds me of Warwick basses.

Where does he live now?