Why become a member? ×

Could it be that I am now content with my gear?

franzbassist

Whispher it quietly, but I haven't changed anything in my setup for must be pushing a year now. This is unheard of for me, but I honestly think that maybe I have finally found the perfect balance of basses and amps/cabs for me. Every time I play I can choose a bass to fit the gig perfectly, my rig copes with anything I throw at it, sounds wonderful and doesn't weigh a ton or take up an estate car to move around. It's a nice place to be.

Just for reference, the gear is as follows:

1966 Fender Jazz
1994 Ken Smith BMT 5 Elite
2006 Wal Mk III 5 (Fretted and Fretless necks)
1992 Martin BC40 Acoustic 4
into
Epifani PS600 amp and two PS112 cabs

When I think of all the money I've spent over the years on gear that came and went it's pretty depressing, but at least now I think I've got it sorted.

Just wanted to share....

Cheers all

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

When I started playing bass about two and a half years ago, I started with an American P and a small combo. Today, having been through a myriad of equipment changes trying to find something I really like, it depresses me to think that I really want is to get back to a Precision and a small combo but can't - because nobody's buying anything and I'm stuck with my gear.

Congratulations gareth- it sounds like a nice place to be at.

I don't think I'm quite there yet. Most of the pieces to the puzzle are in place, but there are 1 or 2 gaps left to fill (nothing major).

How long has it taken me and how much has it cost me? I dread to think. Like a lot of people though, I've actually gone for a simpler more "organic" set up than I have in the past.

Now all I need to do is make sure I'm worthy of the kit I have...

[quote name='walbassist' post='91179' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:24 PM']Whispher it quietly, but I haven't changed anything in my setup for must be pushing a year now. This is unheard of for me, but I honestly think that maybe I have finally found the perfect balance of basses and amps/cabs for me. Every time I play I can choose a bass to fit the gig perfectly, my rig copes with anything I throw at it, sounds wonderful and doesn't weigh a ton or take up an estate car to move around. It's a nice place to be.

Just for reference, the gear is as follows:

1966 Fender Jazz
1994 Ken Smith BMT 5 Elite
2006 Wal Mk III 5 (Fretted and Fretless necks)
1992 Martin BC40 Acoustic 4
into
Epifani PS600 amp and two PS112 cabs

When I think of all the money I've spent over the years on gear that came and went it's pretty depressing, but at least now I think I've got it sorted.

Just wanted to share....

Cheers all

Gareth[/quote]

Gah, you'd have to be a right miserable sod not to be happy with that lot ;-) All you need now is to stop your drummer speeding up and your guitarist going widdlywiddlywee between songs.

I'm still turning gear over at a terrible rate, glad to know there is such a happy state as GASslessness. Salut!

Happiness is a journey not a destination etc..

I think i'm relatively happy with what I have, the GAS creeps in every so often but is fended off fairly easily.. I look forward to the day where I am GASless, but then - what have I to look forward to with no gear envy ?

Wahey! Although now you have said it, you have jinxed it! I too am really happy, and have found that I have got my 'brand' after a long search, and an expensive one at that. Thing is I nearly bankrupted myself several times, had some close shaves and some long shots but now every time I find myself GASsing for something else I just don't bother (as much as possible) because I remember how lucky I am and that I will end up shifting the item on anyway in time!

You are right though, superb gear and a lovely place to be. Enjoy it and focus on the music - I really find it helps when you are comfortable with your gear!

cheerz
ped

Matt, you are right, it is kind of an empty feeling too. I used to buy all the magazines and talk with people about what I wanted and what my ideal rig would be etc etc - really good fun. Now though, my setup is very different to what I 'imagined' it might be, and I never buy the mags or go into shops much because they kind of don't interest me as much now!! Same with you Gareth?

ped

I'm content for the time being too - although it doesn't stop you looking. Saying that, I go into guitar stores now and there's nothing I really want to buy. For what I do, punk/rock/indie covers, a G&L mid-priced bass and a mid-priced Warwick head and cab does me fine. It's got the sound I want for not too serious money. I think gigging soon makes you realise what you need and what you don't need. If you're playing live, you tend to focus more on the practical stuff like does it work, does it sound good and can I fit it in the car. If you never leave the house, you do focus more on whether you've got a bass that looks amazing, with a quilted maple top and LEDs. That said, there's nothing wrong with having that.

Now, back to eBay... :)

[quote name='ped' post='91350' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:37 AM']I used to buy all the magazines and talk with people about what I wanted and what my ideal rig would be etc etc - really good fun. Now though, my setup is very different to what I 'imagined' it might be, and I never buy the mags or go into shops much because they kind of don't interest me as much now!! Same with you Gareth?[/quote]

Yes, I used to buy the mags and go to shops and shows, and of course the internet has been terrible/brilliant for the GAS, but now I think I'm just settled gear-wise and can focus on other things - like actually using the stuff!

Playing music is hugely important to me, it's part of what defines me as a person, and I've gone through a lot of gear to get where I am now (which, as has been noted, is some pretty top notch stuff - all boutique but still awesome gigging kit!), but I've moved on in what really drives me. I think having kids has made a big difference to who I am, priorities change, or maybe I'm just getting older and heading into a comfortable (early) middle age?! Pass the pipe and slippers please love!

Cheers all

A philosophical Gareth

Edited by walbassist

I have spent the last 10 years with my ideal sound, Ampeg SVT3, Road Ready Boogie 2x10 and 1x15 cabs, and don't want to change, but have had to find something else because I can't lift these cabs any more!! It is early days yet, but I think I have found the solution, a Thunderfunk from Rob at RIM and an Epifani 4x10 and 2 Aguilar 1x12s from fellow BCers.
It took over 25 years to replace my Precision and that was only to go 5 string, and I've only had 2 main rigs in that time. As you can see, I don't understand GAS. My view is buy the best, get it right at the start and get on with the gigs.

[quote name='chris_b' post='91411' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:42 PM']I don't understand GAS. My view is buy the best, get it right at the start and get on with the gigs.[/quote]
i agree. I was lucky to buy a status shark 2 as my first bass. After that I wasn't really going to buy a better built bass for under a grand. I have no reason to sell my shark cos its an ace bass and to be honest not sellable for as much as i feel it would be worse.
The gap in my sound i filled with my CIJ '57 reissuse. P. Again im not sure how exactly i would upgrade this. It is a P bass, it sounds and plays like a really really good P bass so unless someone wants to sell me an orignal '60s one whats the point? What I love about it is that it feels like a tool. Awsome but not so amazing you wont do daft things with it (like tour scotland on the megabus in a gigbag)
I have a tech 2x12 cab which matched with my H&K QT600 sounds ace. They are both reasonably small and light and do me fine.
Im happy, went for good quallity stuff and it will ast me years

Edited by LukeFRC