Why become a member? ×

Lest we forget the mids.

Marvin

I posted a thread about tone several months ago. In it several posts referred to the mids in getting their tone, specifically cetera.
Since Christmas I've been playing through a zoom pedal and got a little sidetracked, however this afternoon I was twiddling with my practice amp and remembered what cetera said about inverting the usual U shaped eq that many of us go for. And.......oh yes, push up those mids, turn down the bass and treble (but not too much) and what a difference. Literally a tone I've been looking for.

Two problems though. The zoom pedal is not needed (although I suppose I could try and get the same result through it) and the amp I was using is only a 35w practice job so not really suited to anywhere outside the living room :rolleyes: .

I just wanted to share that. Don't forget those mids. :)

Edited by Marvin

It's all in the mids.

In fact, here's a c&p from the Oxford English dictionary:

[size=5][font="Book Antiqua"][b]mids[/b] ('midz') a. [i][b]noun[/b][/i] The bit where the tone lives, innit.[/font][/size]

Edited by wateroftyne

I always found I could hear myself better by bumping the mids a little bit. Scooping the EQ just results in a woofy clanky mess I find (obviously depending on how much!). I usually boost the bass and treble, then add just a touch more mids, so your still boosting everything for a bit more oomph, but just the mids a tad more to cut through!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='829870' date='May 6 2010, 05:59 PM']Preaching to the converted here :)[/quote]

+1

Once, many years ago after a particularly terribly sounding gig for me the sound man approached and gave me a lesson on how to twiddle the knobs.
His first point was "don't unless you really need to". Then "cut, don't boost".
We then discussed the bass sounds I admired and he recommend some eq settings that would help me achieve what I wanted.
Out with the standard MarkieKing / Tracy Elliot smiley face thing, (and the Ashdown rig, actually), then set everything flat but down a tad from the notch except for the upper mids. That did the job.

Edited by OldGit

I'm gonna have to evaluate my EQ if there's this much positive review occuring!

on my Warwick head I have: (amongst others) Lo, Lo Mid, Hi Mid, Hi

Gonna have a twiddle at practice, the only thing is we have a synth and reed organ which is very mid-dy, which means I need to be lower to get heard!

Mind you, I do turn the volume down on the bridge pickup so I just get that lovely P-like sound!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='829911' date='May 6 2010, 06:50 PM']I've always boosted my mids to the max. It's the way to cut throught the mix. I know someone who sets his graphic EQ in a smile with mids totally cut. No definition whatsoever.

If you want to hear the notes, the mids are essential.[/quote]

Well I blame Mark King and Trace Elliot for that.

Converted to mid boosting years ago, it is the only way to be heard in a band mix. Years ago I used to have a 2 band Stingray and I boosted the bass and treble and then had a 'smiley' EQ on my trace......what was I thinking. :)

[quote name='Higgie' post='829874' date='May 6 2010, 06:03 PM']Scooping the EQ just results in a woofy clanky mess...[/quote]

Yup. Guilty of that one for many years! It's funny how this obvious insight comes to us in our later years... I always wondered how JJB was so audible in the mix - whether live or recorded. Bloody mid-scoop. Who needs it?! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='829964' date='May 6 2010, 07:41 PM']Yup. Guilty of that one for many years! It's funny how this obvious insight comes to us in our later years... I always wondered how JJB was so audible in the mix - whether live or recorded. Bloody mid-scoop. Who needs it?! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I've a feature on my practice amp that scoops the mids. It makes me sound a million miles away. :)

The only way to get through the noise in rehearsals and actually hear instead of feel what I was playing: mids. I love it! I think I tried that one after reading about the sadface smiley here somewhat over a year ago and never got back from it!

I seem to be able to do it by cutting the bass and treble on the head and jacking the master volume up. There is of course a second channel with a parametric mid but I can never get my head around getting the best sound from it.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='830068' date='May 6 2010, 09:37 PM']Just checked this to be sure. The Markbass Sa450 owners manual gives guidance on the characteristics and use of frequencies of the low, low - mid, upper mid etc

Helped my understanding by more than a tad !!

T[/quote]

Yes will have to dig it out and a general mess about. Always pleased with this amp though, a real Rolls Royce of an amp.

I go for all controls flat on my TE V-Type (at 12'oclock) - perfect for me.
If I really need to cut through, there's a push-pull upper-mids boost on the mid control - Like a kick in the chest! :)

Edited by nick

sa450 eq is uber powerful, but the ae410 has that bit of agression inherently built in.

Last gig I actually scooped that out a smidge, and boosted down in the lo mids. Set the compressor with a smidge of sub 40Hz Bass Expansion (love the Compounder for that - its not like eq, quite, very cool).

Sounded awesome, just massive, kept up with a 4Kw rig, drums (miked), electric kit (two drummers you see), guitar and vox.