Why become a member? ×

Funniest things people say when selling their gear

ianrunci

The usual lines are the ones I find the most amusing. I.E

This is the best jazz/precision bass I've ever played! - Well of course it is that's why your selling it lol.

This Jap/mex version plays and sounds better than the USA version. yeah right of course it does

This is a great players bass (oh and its in pristine condition having never been played outside my bedroom) which usually translates to its a great polishers bass

this squire plays as good as any custom shop special i have ever played and the sound is the best you will ever hear

This is the best neck I have ever come across, and they usually say this every time they sell an instrument

[quote name='ianrunci' post='814026' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:14 PM']This Jap/mex version plays and sounds better than the USA version. yeah right of course it does[/quote]

In most cases with Jap Fenders it's absolutely true.

[quote name='Sean' post='814029' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:18 PM']In most cases with Jap Fenders it's absolutely true.[/quote]

well that's personal opinion I suppose, just not mine

the one about selling it three weeks after they bought the "best bass ever made" is a good one, I have seen that one a few times :)

It can happen, and not just with basses-you buy it, play it, and love it, and genuinely believe it's the greatest thing you've ever owned. Then you have it for a while, and the honeymoon period comes to an end, and you start noticing things you don't like which you didn't notice before, in your first flush of enthusiasm. Then something else comes along, the next Big Thing, and the first one has to go. Or perhaps you're searching for some particular sound or feel, and you're experimenting with different basses. Often you go through a few before you find what you're after. So it's not entirely ridiculous to be singing a bass's praises one week and selling it the next.

Very true, in many cases people will state that it may indeed have the best say, neck for instance, but if the string spacing just isn't you or any one of a dozen other things then it's gotta go. I'm sure the basses I still have of the 50+ I've owned have none of the single best features, best body was a green status, best for slap was a Warwick etc but it's the getting one that's just the right mix that's tricky.
And trust me, I've often often had to sell things I really don't wanna sell. :-D

[quote name='gafbass02' post='814112' date='Apr 21 2010, 07:18 PM']Very true, in many cases people will state that it may indeed have the best say, neck for instance, but if the string spacing just isn't you or any one of a dozen other things then it's gotta go. I'm sure the basses I still have of the 50+ I've owned have none of the single best features, best body was a green status, best for slap was a Warwick etc but it's the getting one that's just the right mix that's tricky.
And trust me, I've often often had to sell things I really don't wanna sell. :-D[/quote]

Very true. +1

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='814087' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:55 PM']It can happen, and not just with basses-you buy it, play it, and love it, and genuinely believe it's the greatest thing you've ever owned. Then you have it for a while, and the honeymoon period comes to an end, and you start noticing things you don't like which you didn't notice before, in your first flush of enthusiasm. Then something else comes along, the next Big Thing, and the first one has to go. Or perhaps you're searching for some particular sound or feel, and you're experimenting with different basses. Often you go through a few before you find what you're after. So it's not entirely ridiculous to be singing a bass's praises one week and selling it the next.[/quote]

'Tis true - I still have a couple of guitars like that, which really ARE great instruments, but don't suit my tastes these days. I'd say the best thing is to always describe it as it is without the salesman's superlatives.

[quote name='Sean' post='814029' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:18 PM']In most cases with Jap Fenders it's absolutely true.[/quote]

+1

Japanese Fenders are usually the best! The best jazz bass I've ever played (in memory) was a red CIJ one, maple fretboard and EMG pickups at Howards Bass Place! And my brother's CIJ Yngwie Strat is the best Fender guitar I've ever played! Its a feckin incredible guitar.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='814268' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:59 PM']+1

Japanese Fenders are usually the best! The best jazz bass I've ever played (in memory) was a red CIJ one, maple fretboard and EMG pickups at Howards Bass Place! And my brother's CIJ Yngwie Strat is the best Fender guitar I've ever played! Its a feckin incredible guitar.[/quote]
And then there's Clarky's CIJ p, Sid; the '52 reissue tele guitar I sold cos I was skint and no one I know of has had an Aerodyne they didn't love.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='814313' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:25 PM']I didn't love the one I had. Didn't get on with the bound body-too uncomfortable.[/quote]
+1 far the anti-aerodyne movement :)
That said,the one I sold had the best neck of any bass I ever tried,it spoke for itself,and I really
thought it was as good as a MIM/MIA/MIJ(delete as applicable)Fender P/J/Jag(delete as applicable).

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='814028' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:17 PM']"I bought this three weeks ago"

(when I can remember them posting a thread on what a fantastic bass it was!)[/quote]
Holds hands up .... guilty as charged at least 3 or 4 times :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='814043' date='Apr 21 2010, 06:27 PM']Another good one is " I want what I paid for it" Why? it's six months older and had had one more owner lol! just accept depreciation[/quote]

Yes!!!!

I really agree with this. If you want your money back,don't tell the potential buyers how much you paid for it.
You paid £400? Great....I'll offer you £300.

Agreed on the Japanese Fenders. I think that they are a lot more consistent quality wise than other Fenders.