Why become a member? ×

Bought my Squier Classic vibe jazz bass today

daz

Bought from [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squire_classic_vibe_jazz_bass_60s_olympic_white.html#seenItCheaper"]Dawsons of Chester[/url] for £286. Soon as i got it home i plugged it in. Didnt even take the plastic off the pickguard. It sounded better than it had in the store. Not a single electrical buzz like my other two basses. Quiet as and album of quiet sounds played really quiet. Yes the strings were a little zingy and new, but still it sounded awesome. No fret buzz or anything, as i was afraid there might be, like on my P bass (as this would mean it really was my fault and poor playing style, and not a badly set up bass. Luckily my style must be ok. The P bass is going in for new strings and to be propely set up next week) On the taking off of the pup plastic covers, there was no noise if i touched the poles with my fingers, as one unlucky buyer had found on his CVJ. In fact the sound was just right, sounded great to me. Some have advocated putting Seymour Duncans on and new pots, others have said. "No need" it sounds great straight out of the box. Well i dont have enough experience to know about SD pups all i know is my new bass sounds just fine as it is. Nothing short of coming in to a wad of cash would entice me to try a change, and then only on another bought CVJ, as mine sounds fine just as is. I doubt ill want to change it too much. It is easily my best sounding bass by a long way.

The only annoying part was they wouldnt budge on price of £286. I suppose if they want to sell at that price its fair enough, its a free country. What did annoy me was that their website states "seen it cheaper? Let us know" Well i did let them know and it was pretty pointless. I didnt really expect them to match online prices of £250. But as their main competitor in Chester was selling it for £270, just a ten minute walk away, I did expect them to match that price. So the asisstant goes away for a minute them comes back and says "head office wont budge" Couldnt even get a set of spare strings or a strap out of him! Im not blaming the guy, but whats the point of implying you will price match then not doing it? As he went away for a box i pondered a short while, then nearly walked out the shop up the road to the other cheaper shop. Only the fact that i'd just put the car in multi story and i'd have to get it out, and not wanting to look like a petulant tit for the sake of £16 stopped me doing so. I wouldnt have been too bothered, but i was in the store a month or two back and heard a guy get £20 knocked off an expensive acoustic guitar! Maybe he was a [i]regular spender [/i]or something? It only slightly spoiled a good day, but still, i dunno. What do you think?

[u]My very first brand new bass[/u]

[u]Sans plastic pickgurad cover[/u]

Edited by daz

How strange!

I tested one of these out today...and I was very surprised by the weight and quality. The tone is spot on, the strings that come with it aint bad, the bridge is substantial.

I hate it when they dont budge on prices. I dont understand it. If it were me, I would have walked, but thats just me.

They are roughly £250 ish online....and the one I tested today was quoted at £279 even though their site says £250 hahaha. I only went in for a test, and I was impressed, so ill be ordering a brand new one.

They are damn fine basses, and after owning a MIJ Precision, these come fairly close!

Now I need to decide if Im going for this or the new Fiesta Red Precision.

Fender seem to have got it right with the CV series. Harks back to the original Squier days.

Surprised Dawsons wouldn't budge on price. However, Fender have had recent price increases, and I can honestly say they are trying to curb the silly pricing going on around the internet.

Our sales have fallen because of this.

Edited by Pete Academy

Very cool. You're first brand new bass is a special moment :)

When you remove the plastic on the pickguard, take the screws out and peel the plastic from around them. Makes it all neat. Can't believe how many basses I've seen with little trails of plastic around the pickguard screws.

I just find it irritating. Can't help it, just do. My wife would say it's because I'm a Virgo.... :rolleyes:

[quote name='redstriper' post='813022' date='Apr 20 2010, 08:49 PM']The best price at the bass gallery is £299 and they wouldn't budge on that, RRP is £349.[/quote]

I got mine from GAK in store after about 30 min of hard haggling while flashing the sovereings under the bloke's nose, for.......

wait for it......

[size=6][b]£249!!![/b][/size]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

249!!! Grand Wazoo. That's the price they were about 6/7 months ago, before it started to be common Basschat knowledge that they were a quality bargain. Word has got around and the price has risen locally to £310 -319.

We really must make restrict this sub-forum to logged-in members? Only joking.

Good luck & enjoy your bass Waz.
Psst. Don't tell everybody.

Balcro.

[quote name='7string' post='813147' date='Apr 20 2010, 10:09 PM']Very cool. You're first brand new bass is a special moment :rolleyes:

When you remove the plastic on the pickguard, take the screws out and peel the plastic from around them. Makes it all neat. Can't believe how many basses I've seen with little trails of plastic around the pickguard screws.

I just find it irritating. Can't help it, just do. My wife would say it's because I'm a Virgo.... :lol:[/quote]

Yes thats what i did. Note the screwdriver above the bass in the bottom picture :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='813427' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:33 AM']Dawson have them advertised on the website for 229.99 OR £23 a month interest free !![/quote]

If you click the link here [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squire_classic_vibe_jazz_bass_60s_olympic_white.html#seenItCheaper"]Dawsons CVJ page[/url] it takes you to the page and its offered at [quote]" Buy Today with Interest Free Credit.

Only £29 Deposit and 9 monthly payments of £29 "[/quote]

Unless my math is well off, thats £299. Thats the Squier Classic Vibe 50's [i]Precision Bass[/i] you are talking of there.

Edited by daz

I have the blue squier 51 reissue?? anyway it looks like st*ngs.

Gigged it last night and it was great! Might as well sell all the good stuff. :rolleyes:

As a former small music shop owner I couldn't compete with the net so I didn't try or price match. The margins are very small as it is. It didn't make a lot of difference because people still bought from me most of the time.
It's annoying when some guy comes in and tries out a guitar he fancies and then goes and gets it off the net. The problem with that is you are buying from a box shifter and it usually won't be setup. That's when they come in with their new guitar for a setup and the whole thing ends up costing a lot more than if they had bought it off me in the first place.

I quite enjoyed taking the wind out of their sails when they come in and say "I can get that £35 cheaper at GAK, you are expensive" My reply was always wow! bargain! I'd buy that. Trouble is they want net prices and personal service, aint gonna happen. :)

[quote name='tom1946' post='813933' date='Apr 21 2010, 04:43 PM']As a former small music shop owner I couldn't compete with the net so I didn't try or price match. The margins are very small as it is. It didn't make a lot of difference because people still bought from me most of the time.
It's annoying when some guy comes in and tries out a guitar he fancies and then goes and gets it off the net. The problem with that is you are buying from a box shifter and it usually won't be setup. That's when they come in with their new guitar for a setup and the whole thing ends up costing a lot more than if they had bought it off me in the first place.

I quite enjoyed taking the wind out of their sails when they come in and say "I can get that £35 cheaper at GAK, you are expensive" My reply was always wow! bargain! I'd buy that. Trouble is they want net prices and personal service, ain't gonna happen. :)[/quote]

I agree, as i said i didn't expect them to compete or match the £250 interweb prices. Box movers dont have to pay rent and rates on city centre premises, so can obviously sell cheaper. I did however expect them to meet the price of [url="http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p5133_squier-classic-vibe-jazz-olympic-white.html"]Back Alley Music[/url] their main rival who are a 10 minute walk away and a smaller business.

Edited by daz

Problem is, some of the shops ive been in round here have a lot of stock, and some of its quite old....

I tested 4 or so basses the past week, and all of them throughout two stores had BAD dings, one of them had part of the nut missing off! (A Stingray 5).

I dont really like buying shop stock unless its fairly new in. Im just a picky sod.

The Squier I tested was £40 over the prices on the net and a massive ding on the underside.

I tend to use one store for everything now, and they are nowhere near me hahah. They also understand im a picky sod. The only exception is strings and Orange stuff...purely as they dont deal with Orange.