P and J pups

Does such a thing exist, please?

Steve

Okay - looks like I'll struggle to find such a thing. How about:

4string
Passive
Wide P-neck
J pups

Basically, a Fender J-bass with a P-neck?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

The US made Precision specials in the late 90s fit all your criteria but one - they had a Jazz type neck (New Kings Rd Guitars have a nice sunburst one with anodised guard that looks suspiciously like it used to belong to an ex BC member).

I think the straight answer is no. So you will have to buy a modded P or mod one yourself I guess. Funkydario has a nice sunburst 72 P/J in the FSForum.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='805253' date='Apr 13 2010, 07:40 PM']Tony Frankin sig.[/quote]
Good thinking that man, my bad. Forgot about the fretted TF. 1.625 neck width. Trouble is they are rare as hen's teeth (and were very expensive when you could get them). You have also got to like white or a kind of sludgy-gold-brown coloured bass too (I like the former, not the latter)!

[attachment=47217:tf.jpg]

[quote name='solo4652' post='805232' date='Apr 13 2010, 07:30 PM']Hi,

I'm looking for a Fender with this spec:

4 string
Passive
Wide P-neck
P and J pups

Steve[/quote]

No (if you mean a 1.75" nut)

Closest non Fender would be a Yamaha BB2000 or BB3000 - the neck widths are about Fender C size (actually slightly wider).

4 string
Passive
Wide P-neck
P and J pups

Steve[/quote]

Yes it does. I and several other BCers have owned one of these beasts.... (although it is active with lace sensors you can switch off the pre-amp and play it passive, and IME it sounds better!)

40th Anniversary CS P bass.....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-40th-Anniversary-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ320410515740QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a99f4791c"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-4...=item4a99f4791c[/url]

Enjoy.

Oh and this but not sure about how good they are....... :)

[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306"]http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306[/url]

[quote name='The Burpster' post='805313' date='Apr 13 2010, 08:25 PM']Yes it does. I and several other BCers have owned one of these beasts.... (although it is active with lace sensors you can switch off the pre-amp and play it passive, and IME it sounds better!)

40th Anniversary CS P bass.....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-40th-Anniversary-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ320410515740QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a99f4791c"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-4...=item4a99f4791c[/url]

Enjoy.

Oh and this but not sure about how good they are....... :)

[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306"]http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130095306[/url][/quote]

Isn't the OP after a C neck (ie a wide P-neck) rather than a B?

4string
Passive
Wide P-neck
J pups

Steve[/quote]

Mark Hoppus bass and add a J p/up blend and tone control?

Thanks everybody.

Looks like we can tick 3 of my 4 boxes, but it will cost me £mega.

So, let's move the goalposts a bit. I currently have a USA P-bass with 42mm nut. Rich, classic p-tone. But I find it a bit limiting and I'm favouring my G&L Tribute because of the pup-choice flexibility it gives.

So, as a possible replacement for the P-bass, I'm after something - let's now say it doesn't have to be a Fender - with these features:

4 string
Passive
Wide neck - 42mm
Switchable pup configuration to give tonal range from P-thump to J-twang

Lakland? Sandberg? Musicman? G&L?

Steve

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='805604' date='Apr 14 2010, 12:31 AM']Fenders tony franklin is basically a P bass with an added J pickup in the bridge. Although tht frank bello bass comes with somenice hardware, except I could use a tone nob or 2 on something like that.[/quote]
..and a Hipshot 'D' Tuner and a clever buffering design built into the J pickup.

Frank Bello Bass - if you can find one - suit you sir - Ooh! [url="http://www.fender.com/uk/products/search.php?partno=0130095306#"]Frank Bello Signature[/url]

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='~tl' post='805741' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:30 AM']Why not just get a Jazz bridge pickup added to your Precision? If you're happy with the bass, then it shouldn't be too expensive to have it modified.[/quote]
FYI, a balanced P/J pickup set from Wizard is about £80-odd (you can also get a DiMarzio set) and The Bass Gallery in Camden charges about £120 to convert a P to a P/J, for an all-in cost of ~£200

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='805705' date='Apr 14 2010, 08:54 AM']Well, I can't talk for the fretted verison, but the two fretless TFs I've had have definitely had C necks..[/quote]

They're supposed to be 1 5/8" according to their specs. Weird. Anyway it looks like that's the nut width the OP is after.

I guess another option is Warmoth?

You could buy the body and neck you want routed etc and put it together, although I heard mixed reviews on their stuff, a guy I know has a Warmoth Strat he put together and its awesome, easily as good as a US Fender just made up exactly how he wants it (3 humbuckers believe it or not!)

Other people say the necks are always too fat.

4 string
Passive
Wide P-neck
P and J pups

Steve

4string
Passive
Wide P-neck
J pups

Steve[/quote]

To answer your original question: Yes such a thing does exist, exactly - Frank Bello Signature bass!
Simples - ticks all your boxes without compromise - unless you don't like black?

[quote name='solo4652' post='805699' date='Apr 14 2010, 08:50 AM']...let's now say it doesn't have to be a Fender - with these features:

4 string
Passive
Wide neck - 42mm

Lakland? Sandberg? Musicman? G&L?

Steve[/quote]

Hmmm. It seems that broad(ish) necks are a bit out of vogue.
However...

Yamaha Attitude?
MM Sterling HS (but not the neck, I fear!) (And they're active)
Fender Roscoe Beck IV!
Fender Urge

I don't know much about Sandbergs or Laklands.

[quote name='solo4652' post='805699' date='Apr 14 2010, 07:50 AM']I currently have a USA P-bass with 42mm nut. Rich, classic p-tone. But I find it a bit limiting and I'm favouring my G&L Tribute because of the pup-choice flexibility it gives.

So, as a possible replacement for the P-bass, I'm after something - let's now say it doesn't have to be a Fender - with these features:

4 string
Passive
Wide neck - 42mm

Lakland? Sandberg? Musicman? G&L?[/quote]

Interesting. Is the G&L the L2000? In which case you're playing a 44.5mm neck, making your desired 42mm not so wide by comparison. Have you given any thought to radius, as this could also play a significant part in any qualitative assessment.

Within the G&L range, the SB (P/J) series comes closest to your requirements, but the standard model features a 38mm neck, although custom options are available.

[quote name='noelk27' post='805979' date='Apr 14 2010, 12:58 PM']Interesting. Is the G&L the L2000? In which case you're playing a 44.5mm neck, making your desired 42mm not so wide by comparison. Have you given any thought to radius, as this could also play a significant part in any qualitative assessment.

Within the G&L range, the SB (P/J) series comes closest to your requirements, but the standard model features a 38mm neck, although custom options are available.[/quote]

Yes - My G&L is a Tribute L2000. It's fast becoming my No. 1 bass over the USA P, because I find the G&L cuts through a band mix better and it gives me more tonal options at the flick of a switch. Also, I find the G&L neck marginally more comfy and less cramped - I must have huge hands! I only play it in passive mode, so it ticks all my boxes. I did look at the G&L SB2 but thought the neck would be too narrow at 38mm.

I've not given any thought to radius because I don't know much about the subject.

I don't really want to start modding the USA P bass - I'd rather leave it as original. I used to have a Stingray and was comfy with the neck, but I don't really want an active bass.

So, it may be that I simply use the G&L L2000 as No.1 bass, with the P as it's backup. Somehow seems a bit back-to-front - dunno why.

Steve